Tascam TSR 8

Monkey Allen

Fork and spoon operator
I see one of these in my city for about US$970 apparently in decent full working order + 9 tapes...or tape reels, not sure. I think 9 tapes.

You reckon that's a silly price, ok or what?

I've read some pros and cons of these units. What are your thoughts?

Thanks

That seems to be around the going rate for a working machine, actually slightly under that, I think.
I adore mine. I am still using it in my workflow even though I have a 24-track, since the auto-punchin works so well for things that need that level of attention. With the right accessory it can also slave to another deck, a feature I use to transfer from the vocal/guitar work tape to the 24-track master.

Thanks. I've got no experience with reel to reel whatsoever. I have only done DAW stuff and Portastudio stuff ages ago. I've read that because the TSR 8 has only one (or is it two) heads that it is not so easy to calibrate...or something along those lines. Not sure. Do you know anything about that?

I kind of plan to use it in a basic way to start with...like sending a stereo drum mix out to tape...or sending stuff I've recorded digitally out to tape and then back into the DAW. Is this the kind of machine that imparts the kind of saturation I might be expecting? Or is it pretty clean and hi fidelity?

Thanks. I've got no experience with reel to reel whatsoever. I have only done DAW stuff and Portastudio stuff ages ago. I've read that because the TSR 8 has only one (or is it two) heads that it is not so easy to calibrate...or something along those lines. Not sure. Do you know anything about that?

I kind of plan to use it in a basic way to start with...like sending a stereo drum mix out to tape...or sending stuff I've recorded digitally out to tape and then back into the DAW. Is this the kind of machine that imparts the kind of saturation I might be expecting? Or is it pretty clean and hi fidelity?
They tend to keep calibration pretty well, but yes - that's the main drawback. The 2-head design makes things like setting the bias difficult and to be honest, I've left that side of it alone for the most part. It also means you can't use it to do tape echo or monitoring the recording.
The TSR-8 was designed to compete with early digital recorders so the emphasis was on making it clean and hi-fi. The noise reduction system integrates very well.

I've heard that the TEAC 80-8 might be a better bet if you're after character more than clean recordings, but I've never tried one of those. The 80-8 cannot* do variable speed tricks however.
*IIRC there were some later or factory-modded 80-8s with a DC motor that allowed for varispeed, but AFAIK the basic design uses an AC motor locked to the mains frequency.

I made an offer and was accepted. I asked the seller for a more detailed rundown/ description of the condition since the ad only stated that the tech 'gave it a look over' and since there was some conflicting details on the ad...and instead of answering the questions he decided to drop me out of the running and let other people get in on it. No big deal. For a US grand, you'd think a fella could field a few questions. But interest was 'staggering', as he said, and he just didn't have time to answer questions. I was probably going to pull out of the deal anyway to give myself more time for research on reel to reels.

I think it was probably best that the deal feel through. From how it was described, it seems like the seller was not really able to provide any details or reassurance on its background history of usage and maintenance- which are things that are important to know if you intend to acquire a machine like that.

If you are interested in Teac/Tascam models, when it comes to 8 track units, they chronologically made the 80-8 (in the mide-late 1970's), 38, 48, 58 (in the 80's) and finally the TSR-8 (came out in 1989).

If you are getting into open reel multitracks for the first time, you might consider easing into it more with a 4 track instead, such as a Teac A-3440 and its matching mixer, the Teac 2A with MB-20 meter bridge. I dont know what the availability and prices are in your area, obviously any restoration & servicing work that was performed recently by an experienced tech will incur a higher pricetag, though it does not really make sense to try and save money by purchasing a cheaper priced unit, only to find out it needs work and you end up paying more anyway to have it taken care of.

Another option if its not an issue, is a recorder that only utilizes smaller size reels such as the A-2340 or Tascam 22-4.

I think it was probably best that the deal feel through. From how it was described, it seems like the seller was not really able to provide any details or reassurance on its background history of usage and maintenance- which are things that are important to know if you intend to acquire a machine like that.

If you are interested in Teac/Tascam models, when it comes to 8 track units, they chronologically made the 80-8 (in the mide-late 1970's), 38, 48, 58 (in the 80's) and finally the TSR-8 (came out in 1989).

If you are getting into open reel multitracks for the first time, you might consider easing into it more with a 4 track instead, such as a Teac A-3440 and its matching mixer, the Teac 2A with MB-20 meter bridge. I dont know what the availability and prices are in your area, obviously any restoration & servicing work that was performed recently by an experienced tech will incur a higher pricetag, though it does not really make sense to try and save money by purchasing a cheaper priced unit, only to find out it needs work and you end up paying more anyway to have it taken care of.

Another option if its not an issue, is a recorder that only utilizes smaller size reels such as the A-2340 or Tascam 22-4.
Don’t forget the 70-8 which preceded the 80-8 and was the first 1/2” 8-track tape machine. And then there is also the ATR60-8. The 38 and 58 were introduced around the same time early in the 1980s ahead of the 48. The ATR60-8 was next I believe and the TSR-8 last. All are 3-head machines except for the TSR-8. The 70-8 and 80-8 had dissimilar rec/sync and repro heads. With the introduction of the 38 and 58 and forward the 3-head machines all had identical rec/sync and repro heads.

Hi SB,

Thanks for chiming in, I have the Tascam 30th anniversary book which has good info and nice photos, I was not familiar with the 70, is that the Series 70? I see there is one on Reverb for sale.

Its good to have an accurate account of all their models, though from an actual buyer's perspective, the ones I mentioned would be the practical ones to consider, and even from those, a 58 would be somewhat rare to find, let alone its price tag and so forth. The 38 would probably be the first that comes to mind or perhaps a TSR-8, I suppose...., I imagine a 48, though older, might be better built than a TSR-8?

Its really up to the guy who asked, but I think a 4 track like the A-3440 would be a great choice, if they are available where he is in Australia.

Hi SB,

Thanks for chiming in, I have the Tascam 30th anniversary book which has good info and nice photos, I was not familiar with the 70, is that the Series 70? I see there is one on Reverb for sale.

Its good to have an accurate account of all their models, though from an actual buyer's perspective, the ones I mentioned would be the practical ones to consider, and even from those, a 58 would be somewhat rare to find, let alone its price tag and so forth. The 38 would probably be the first that comes to mind or perhaps a TSR-8, I suppose...., I imagine a 48, though older, might be better built than a TSR-8?

Its really up to the guy who asked, but I think a 4 track like the A-3440 would be a great choice, if they are available where he is in Australia.
Yes the 70-8 is part of the 70 series. That one on Reverb…people can ask what they want for their wares, and I guess somebody might buy that at that price. What I can tell you is electronically and mechanically there is nothing special about it…I owned at one time, in a strange turn of events, a complete amplifier module chassis for a 70-8. Everything about it was poor quality. My opinion. Bad design all around. And I got ahold of the schematics and service manual and the signal path is significantly underwhelming. I don’t know much about the transport but I don’t expect that to be a home run either. I think it’s a curious machine and appreciate what it is in the history of the multitrack open-reel tape machine, but I would never choose to own one. There are scads of 1/2” 8-track offerings on Reverb (for instance) right now between Tascam and Otari for a *much* lower asking price I would pick way before the 70-8, for their design, sonics and reliability.

I have that Tascam book as well.

The 48 is a more robust machine than the TSR-8 and, seriously, for any regular production work, if given the choice between one or the other, I’d always choose a three-head machine. But that comes with a bias because I’ve spent enough time setting up cassette-based and open-reel two-head machines and it’s just a pain…record level, bias and record EQ…all three of these things play on each other so when you adjust one the others have to be tweaked as well, rinse and repeat until the channel is in spec, and having to do that, each round, record tone, reproduce tone, blindly tweak the trimmer and hope you’re “there” the next pass vs on a three-head machine being able to run tone, record and monitor off the repro head in real time and just watch the meters and line it up…feels like a dream after wrestling with a two-head machine. I pity the tech that has to service an MSR-24 1” 24-track two-head machine. So that’s the real downside to me on the TSR-8, which otherwise is a nice package. I like the onboard noise reduction and the transport itself is really gentle on the tape. I don’t like the 12-segment LED bar graph meters…they’re fine, but I like a meter with more resolution than that. My console has 30-segment meters and I find it to be more practical. And overall I prefer analog VU meters. So the TSR-8 is a fine machine and has some advantages for sure, but it wouldn’t be my choice. The other difference with the TSR-8 is the signal path…it is a lower headroom more garden variety design than the lineage of the more professional line of machines, which started with the 58, then 48, then ATR60 series (stick the MS16 in there too around the time the 48 was introduced). These machines all use a similar signal design that is higher headroom and pretty sweet…a servo-type design with very few coupling caps in the signal path…the 38 and TSR-8 are both more typical designs…they are fine but you look at that other branch and there’s no comparison. I agree the prices on the 58 are nuts right now. I’ve owned three of them…currently have one…they are my favorite of the bunch, but the 48 and ATR60-8 are easier to service…better designs that way. They all sound good, so as far as that goes any of them are a fine choice, but the 38 doesn’t have as nice a signal path, is a lot more plastic, and just not as sophisticated a machine…between the 38, 48, 58 and TSR-8 I think the 38 would be my last choice but a toss-up with the TSR-8 because of the TSR-8’s two-head design. The 48 is kind of a sweet-spot considering market price, design and sonics, but you typically want the outboard noise reduction units. I think what it really comes down to is whatever can be found relatively locally that is in decent running condition. So if you think of it that way, if I was in need of a 1/2” 8-track, and needed to find it locally, I’d take any one of them price and condition dependent. But honestly I’d be including the Otari MX-5050-8 series in there…professional build quality, simple reliable transport design…more robust overall than the Tascam machines, and good sounding.

There was a time I was thinking about an 80-8. I thought it might be the sonic equivalent of the 3340S 4-track I used to have which really, really sounded nice. Later in life after it was long gone I was studying the schematics and realized the signal path is all discrete. I thought the 80-8 was the same, but it’s not…opamp-based like the others. But the 3340S really did sound nice.

Last edited:
Back