Tascam ATR-60/16

Congratulations on the new machine. And I mean it really does look new!

I love the fact that TASCAM gives extensive documentation with their equipment. Have fun with it.

Beautiful machine Tim. I know that you'll take good care of her.

Danny

Thanks for the link, the agfa tape is mid 90s according to the previous owner, who threw those in when I bought the deck.

Hey Tim,

I have four reels of BASF PEM468 that I thought was AGFA - The box says BASF but the reels say AGFA. The printing on the back of the tape says BASF so it definitely is BASF.

Did you check the printing on the back of the tape?

I'm asking because the tape that I have seems to be exhibiting some signs of... tackiness? I mean, if I pinch the tape between my thumb and index finger it almost seems like the oxide feels a little... spongy? I really wish I could explain better. It's not quite as smooth and slick as other tapes I've used.

I'm wondering if I should dispose of this tape when I'm finished with my current project. I'm just a little nervous.

ATR 60 was designed for a fluxivility of 250nWb = +3 if anyone has modified the bias on all audio cards please let me knowScreenshot_20230319-232106_PDF Reader Pro.jpg

ATR 60 was designed for a fluxivility of 250nWb = +3 if anyone has modified the bias on all audio cards please let me knowView attachment 127598
Do you mean modified one or more components on the amp cards related bias?

Does the ATR60 series require such modification? What are you trying to accomplish? Like, what tape are you using and are you having trouble achieving the correct bias level for the tape?

Verify the Pinch roller has a barrel shape vs. flat surface. The MS-16 used a flat PR which then was updated to a slightly barrel shaped in later machines and the ATR-60. Both machines addressed the tape shifting with the dreaded 'Fine tape path alignment" in the manual. Put a good tape on, have both reels have the same amount of tape, and rock the tape with the FFD and RWD buttons and watch the tape as it changes directions. You might be able to dial it in with the tension roller height adjustment.

Back