Tascam 388 touch up paint for those darn scratches across the top.

shedshrine

Making this post reminds me of my high school years where the car nuts would put hundreds (thousands) of dollars and hours in to the mechanics of their hot rods, all the while driving it around primered as the paint job was the last finishing touch.

My 388 is mechanically fine, but I have wished I could do something about the scratches across the top of the vu meter deck. The previous owner apparently slid some jagged things on and off it at some point, probably rack gear.

I recall reading somewhere in Sweetbeats 388 thread that he had retouched the paint on his deck. Was that something Tascam offered, like paint in a little dip canister like car touch up paint? Or was it a question of matching it at a store. Thanks.

In a related note, I was able to get the plexiglass cover smooth with some NuFinish and a lot of rubbing.

Making this post reminds me of my high school years where the car nuts would put hundreds (thousands) of dollars and hours in to the mechanics of their hot rods, all the while driving it around primered as the paint job was the last finishing touch.

As an avid hot-rodder, I actually get this. Simply put, paint doesn't make the car fast, so why spend money on it? lol.

My 388 is mechanically fine, but I have wished I could do something about the scratches across the top of the vu meter deck. The previous owner apparently slid some jagged things on and off it at some point, probably rack gear.

Are you talking about the large metal panel across the top with the vent holes on the right, held in by six screws?

It's just a piece of metal... you could prime and paint it as you would any metal... sand, prime, sand, prime, sand, paint, sand, paint, clearcoat. Most automotive body shops can match pain, or you can paint it black so it's contrasting but doesn't look stupid.

Panels without labling or laser etching are easy to paint actually.

Yeah, I meant it in a similar vein, as in I've put in the hours and money to get my 388 up to spec, now I'm ready for the paint.

And yes, I'm referring to the top plate there. Just wanting to keep it stock if possible. It has a "spatter" undercoat, so sanding the whole thing down would make it smooth. Not the end of the world I agree. Again, if there is a touch up cannister option, I just wanted to know about it. Thanks for the reply frederic.

Hey Sheddy...I took a panel to a local body shop...same one that resprayed the meter bridge on the M-__. There were some snafus, but in the end the result looked fine. I actually had them respray my 388 cardbay cover as it too was scratched up like you describe on yours. I asked them to put any extra paint in a touch-up bottle and that's what I used around the rest of the unit. Not a perfect match but acceptable and better looking than a scratch. Can YOU tell where the scratches were on my 388 looking at later photos in the 388 Story thread? Look in the beginning to see...

Gray primer rocks.

I used #10 plastic polish and a lambswool polishing pad mounted to a high-speed hand drill to polish up my 388 transport cover. Again, not perfect, but quite satisfactory and a whole lot better than it was.

Thanks for the info guys. Another item for my "to do" list.

Heck, in the spirit of the hot rod (..and gear fetish in general)
how about sanding and painting the grill gloss black and adding a vinyl tuck and roll strip across the top color-matched to go with the armrest.

Of course then I'd have to make new solid wood side panels. And wall mount the thing.:cool:

..and add chrome fader knobs..and a capstan tach, and a..

I saw a blower kit for the 388...jk...

Hey, shed, you're welcome to use the paint I got for my 388. The shop said it was good for a year and I've only had it, like, 6 months or something. Plenty left to touch up many a scratch. It'd need to be shaken up good because some of the pigment has settled. You'd want to try it in an inconspicuous spot to see if you like it. The color is a little more rich than the factory color and a little more glossy. I've found that with just a little corner of a ScotchBrite pad and some brief brushes with it I can dull touched up spots and help them blend after the paint has cured.

Anyway, welcome to it. PM me if interested.

Back