tascam 388 simple problem fix?

tbizzle

I can fix this tascam 388 by applying the smallest amount of pressure. Does anyone know this issue? Video attached.

Thanks so much I appreciate it!

I think it could be a tension roller adjustment. I think it’s R112 and R212 under the top panel. And you adjust them with a tiny screwdriver. Here’s a cut n paste from A Tape Op thread;

Step 1: First, power on your 388. Take off top cover of 388, behind the VU meters and above the in's and out's. Do it gently as to not harm your pride and joy.

Step 2: After cover removal, find the section of 7 trim pots (see photos below). They are above the tape window in a vertical orientation.

Step 3: Press play on your tape recorder.

Step 4: While tape is in motion, find the trim pots R 112 and R 212. These are the adjusters for the Tension Rollers.

A Reel Person's suggested Tension Roller orientation.
Quote:
"The centers of the tension rollers should be even with an imaginary line that's drawn and extends from the BOTTOM EDGE of the capstan and idler rollers."
For me, my tension rollers worked best a little lower than A Reel Person's suggestion.

Step 5: Watch the adjustments made to your rollers. Try playback fast forward and rewind. Work until you find an adjustment where everything is working well.

Yeah I read that thread when I first did this on my 388. R212 just affects the right tension roller from memory. You got a copy of the manual?

Back