Tascam 388 Questions - Repair Advice/A Few Questions after scouring forum

franksmash

Backstory: I am yet another person who has inherited a Tascam 388. I have played music for many years, recorded much on my own starting on a 4 track, some studio experiences with tape, but mostly on my own digitally for many years. An enthusiastic but intermittent hobbyist. While growing up my uncle had his 388 out (but covered) and I always wanted one, and here I am. Once I got it shipped here and setup, I hit play, and nothing happened. : (

Goal: It came with numerous reels, on which he recorded his own music - at a minimum I'm hoping to get this thing up and running long enough to transfer what he recorded to digital so I can preserve for the family (my mom in particular would love to hear his voice again). If I'm being optimistic I'd love to use this as a starting point to get back into recording using things I can touch with my hands and not a mouse button.

Where I am at: I have spent much time on this forum and the tape op forums and have learned a bunch. I know these are loved by many users, and not so loved by many a tech/repair person. I have learned to watch out for sticky shed and if the heads are broken I'm screwed. The most important thing I've learned was enough to troubleshoot the most common issues, one of which was a broken capstan belt. I found one on ebay, popped it in, and voila - it worked. The unit is in very good condition, and so far barring a few minor issues everything seems to work, and i was able to listen to a few songs!

Where I Could Use Some Help: It has probably been decades since it was last serviced in any meaningful way, so although it appears to be low hours and pretty clean I'd like to start off from the best possible position and have it properly calibrated/setup. I am in Los Angeles and having trouble finding a repair person to help.
  • Tascam/Teac: The authorised service center here in Buena Park (Tap Electronics) told me they can't take it in until end of summer! I'm moving in the next few months so can't wait that long. The guy was nice and understanding but he said their backlog was insane.
  • Marc: Found a guy on one of the boards (in Torrance I believe), reached out and he kindly said he can't help me right now (maybe he will see this and reconsider, haha?). But again running into backlog issues.
  • Adrian Pro Audio: Spoke to Adrian. He has kindly offered to do the calibration, so I'm very happy about that, but he was very adamant about not wanting to do anything else with this particular machine, so I'm hoping that the other items below I can do myself. Unfortunately it seems he has been burned out on this particular unit.
  • Cincinnati Ohio: I'm moving there in about 2 months, so if anyone knows someone in that general area that may be a great option for me as well.
So besides any repair recommendations - a few other questions -
  • Any recommendations for tape type and a source to buy it from? I know to avoid Ampex, but I do have some that seem to be okay (456 and 499) and I will use these at least long enough to do a transfer to digital then ditch most likely.
  • I have one burned out VU bulb, what should I order to replace? (i know it's a solder in type, but not sure what to order - and I'm planning per recommendation to do all of them in one go if I do it)
  • The eq knobs work fine, but the pots are a bit scratchy. Before rushing in with deoxit like I would with my guitar, what's the proper cleaning method for knobs/switches and faders?
  • Lastly - if you were me, what type of reel to reel 8 track machine would you recommend if this one proves to be too much(1/2 inch? Tascam? Something else?) What other machine would be compatible with 1/4" 8 track with dbx I could use to do a transfer in case this one goes belly up before?

Thanks wisdom of the interwebs in advance, trying to do my part to keep these things alive.

You have found the right guy in Adrian. I have had TAP customers calling me and sending me decks in where they wanted to charge $800 for a 688 that had nothing wrong with it- they commit Fraud a lot over there. Now I hear of a client who has a 246 that needs a new head. They said the head cost $600 for the part well working at Teac and in the parts department I can tell you that head does not cost $600. I may even see that machine eventually and no the heads do not wear out all that easy as they say- I think they come up with random items along with a standard $800 charge for just about anything they take in. Being they are in CA where anything goes, that is why they get away with this. You are much better off at Adrians shop and Marc who I know is also an honest guy and much much better than TAP.

Tape wise that unit was designed for Ampex 457 only and the tape that is the common replacement would be either LPR35 (RTM brand) or MDS36 which is USA made in York PA. ATR Magnetics is a fine product that I have standardized on in my shop.
Being the size of that unit is excessive I don't work on them now but all Teac and most other deck other than Technics RS-1500/1700 model use 8V lamps in them called DA513 and can be had from JKL in CA. I use them all the time and they are the right lamp and if you need lower quantities than 20 then you could get some from me but I am not selling anything here.
When one burns out by the time you shock the rest of them around they will all go out- why do I know this? I have changed lamps at Teac on decks like the 80-8 and 38 as well as others- no sooner do you get the last front panel screw in as another lamp that was sensitive to shock and vibration due to age is out- change them all at the same time as the rest are right behind the one that is out now.

Here I go again but since you asked, The best machine for 8 channels is a Tascam 58 but either they can not be found or are too expensive and so 48 and 38 decks are purchased and can be repaired. The TSR seems like a good deal until you pay the calibration cost as with two heads it takes much more time to do the job and therefore the calibration cost goes up. Tascam 38 to me is a minimum item to get. 456 and 499 is 1.5 mil tape- the 388 was meant for 1 mil tape so neither of these are acceptable and will not give good head compliance as it is too thick. Remember that you have a deck with 8 channels on 1/4" tape- this is a reason these other tapes will not work well presenting drop outs and lack of good tape to head contact. MDS36 is the best choice I would say.

Hello Skywave - thanks so much for the excellent information. Taking the deck in to Adrian on Friday for an inspection/calibration, will report back here!

I have talked to him a few times and he is an excellent person to deal with but keep in mind that he is maybe not feeling to good some days. He worked on my A450 back in Niles IL when he worked there. I have nothing but good things to say about him which is not the case with some other places in CA.

Back