Tascam 2488 Midi help needed

surjer

Hi all, not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question or not but here goes. I recently scored a tascam 2488 which i want to use for tracking out in my garage. I would LIKE to record the midi notes from my electronic drum set INTO the tascam and then later bring that midi data into my daw for mapping into superior drummer. Thats not my issue, where i need advice is how in the world do you change the drumsets in the Tascam? I cant figure out how to select a different kit? I have the set triggering noises ok. Simply plugged a midi cable from the OUTPUT of my kit into the MIDI IN on the tascam. It generates tones but like the kick drum sound is a click and the snare is an even lighter click. The toms seem to be mapped fine but i know this unit has other KITS in it and i was wondering how to 1.) Change kits and 2.) Change Notes to trigger other drums so my kick drum can get mapped to an actual kick sound.. etc..

Thanks a ton for any help provided!!!

Anybody? Current workaround is to record the midi with the volume on that channel all the way down and run a patch cable from the drum module out to another channel on the 2488 and just monitor that while recording the midi..

Hi all, not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question or not but here goes. I recently scored a tascam 2488 which i want to use for tracking out in my garage. I would LIKE to record the midi notes from my electronic drum set INTO the tascam and then later bring that midi data into my daw for mapping into superior drummer. Thats not my issue, where i need advice is how in the world do you change the drumsets in the Tascam? I cant figure out how to select a different kit? I have the set triggering noises ok. Simply plugged a midi cable from the OUTPUT of my kit into the MIDI IN on the tascam. It generates tones but like the kick drum sound is a click and the snare is an even lighter click. The toms seem to be mapped fine but i know this unit has other KITS in it and i was wondering how to 1.) Change kits and 2.) Change Notes to trigger other drums so my kick drum can get mapped to an actual kick sound.. etc..

Thanks a ton for any help provided!!!

Man this machine does not have a drum machine (are samples) built into it,its just a recorder and the only extras are effects.....:(

"Man this machine does not have a drum machine (are samples) built into it,its just a recorder and the only extras are effects"

My understanding is the Mk1 and Mk2 had midi drums that you could use - I am not sure whether these were just drum loops or if you could programme them..... I have a Neo that does not have the midi drums on board. Although I think you can load SMF files into all three that you can then send to a sound module/PC etc

Bassbrad is correct though, the 2488s do not record any midi data. They will send it or accept it but not record it - you could do this by sending the midi data to a PC.

From the OPs setup, they could take a midi out from the 2488 and into a PC that has midi data recording software (Cubase etc etc) while they play their kit - you could record the audio onto the 2488 and the midi data onto the PC

Zeek

Found this in the manual for a Mk1 2488

Selecting the drum kit
The 2488’s tone generator includes a number of different
drum kits, which you can use to give a different
sound to your songs.
When a preset style is loaded, a suitable drum kit is
also loaded along with the pattern type. The same
drum kit is retained for the whole song.
With the PATTERN ARRANGE screen displayed, press
SHIFT and ENTER.
Twenty different kits are available for use, including
Latin sets, famous drum machine sounds, and so on.
Use the cursor keys or wheel to select a different
drum kit for your song. Press ENTER when done (or
EXIT to leave the kit as it is). The PATTERN ARRANGE
screen is then shown.

Zeekle, That procedure DOES change the kit sound but its for the playback of the midi patterns not the tone's that are generated from the midi data being received from the drum kit. Anyways, i have NOT been able to record or output midi data. I can record my electronic drumset but its the tones that are getting recorded NOT the midi data. Soooo.... I'm probably going to have to go back to using my PC for recording which im not too fond of due to the lack of inputs on my Audio Interface. Guess i can try and sell this recorder for a nicer interface..

I really like the idea of a stand alone recorder. Im still getting used to it. I can definately get things recorded and setup on my PC way faster but in the long run i think teaching myself how to use this 2488 would be a good thing. The whole reason i want to do this midi thing is because i absolutely LOVE the drum sounds i can get out of Superior Drummer.

I think this weekend I will just set my PC back up in there and put the Tascam idea on hold for a bit since the drum thing is sort of a show stopper at the moment. Another part of this that sort of sucks is my PC starts to choke up when i get more than say 4-5 tracks playing at once with effects added to each track. At some point I will have to bite the bullet and write down all of my requirements and set forth a plan to get the gear that suits my needs instead of trying to force things to work like this. HOWEVER, i stand by the answer i once heard to the question "Whats the best MIC for X". The anwer being (Whatever MIC you have)..

surjer, were you plugging the stereo output from your electronic drums into two of the line inputs on the neo, or were you running a midi cable out of the drum module and into the midi-in on the neo? If you were running only the stereo output to the line inputs, you would not be sending midi data to the 2488. Unfortunately, I've only worked with the neo, so I don't know the specifics, but you mentioned you were still only getting the "tones" from your drumkit, not sounds from the selected kits in the neo, which leads me to believe you weren't running midi data into the 2488.

Back