Syncing Problems

radiorabies

I bought a new computer at the beginning of the year with Cakewalk in mind. You see, I used to use it on my old PC (along with Audacity) but the problem I came across was the tracks not being in sync (which is VERY annoying)

Anyway, I've been merrily using Cakewalk again and got the results I wanted to achieve and I've been busy recording my debut album. But now, for some reason Cakewalk doesn't want to keep in sync. It's highly annoying when trying to perfect something...

Has anybody had this problem and if they have, how'd they solve it... It can't be to do with memory or anything, I've got something like 70GB left.

Please help...

I have the same problem, and posted it in another thread, but didn't really find any solutions that helped a whole lot (I get a lot of audio dropouts as well). I set my latency higher but this doesn't seem to change anything. I record drums first, which turn out fine, but then when laying anything else on top it's usually out of sync. When we lay guitar over, we are monitoring back all 8 tracks of the drums. Are there any strategies to overcoming this annoyance?

Can you please describe your computer, opereating system and signal chain for drums and other audio?

Computer:

Toshiba Satellite p-25 Notebook:
-3.0ghz
-512mb ddr ram
-windows xp pro
-Very clean system, I have no other programs running while recording.

-The drums are plugged directly into our Firepod, and that goes directly into Sonar 4
-The guitar goes through a Line6 POD 2 box into the firepod, into sonar. We monitor all of the drum tracks back while we're recording guitar.

rweiss said:
Computer:

-3.0ghz
-512mb ddr ram
-windows xp pro

-The drums are plugged directly into our Firepod, and that goes directly into Sonar 4
-The guitar goes through a Line6 POD 2 box into the firepod, into sonar. We monitor all of the drum tracks back while we're recording guitar.

What happens when you try layering just guitars - do they stay in synch?

What I am suspecting is latency between the signal channels. Have you tried to alter your latency slider in Options>audio? You could also try increasing your buffer size in Sonar.

Do you have monitoring enabled in Sonar? If so try disabling it.Options>audio>monitoring.

rweiss said:
Computer:

-3.0ghz
-512mb ddr ram
-windows xp pro

When you monitor, what outputs are you using? Make sure you've disabled your onboard soundcard's drivers in Sonar, that may help. What rate and depth are you recording at?

what is the speed of your hard drive? i use to use 2 hard drives (one for apps and one for audio). then i used 3 hard drives (one for apps and 2 in a RAID 0 configuration for audio). the 3 hard drive scenario worked the best, i could push tracks for days. now i'm using a laptop with just 1 hard drive.

you have to make some concessions in a 1 hd configuration when you are trying to record and playback at the same time.

have you tried mixing the drums down to a stereo (or mono for that matter) track and archiving the real tracks while you record your new tracks? that way your PC (actually your hard drive) only has to push out 1 track while recording the new ones.

No I haven't tried anything like that. I messed with a few settings and haven't has as many problems. I have a question about hard drives though... Would I get a lot better performance if I bought an external SATA Firewire hard drive for audio, or is it not worth the buck (compared to the 5400 ide hard drive in my laptop) ?

So what does latency do? The higher it is the better? I'm not sure... (BTW. I'm Using CWHS 9.. I bought it second hand as I couldn't afford the most recent version)

Back