Suggestion for a new soundcard?

Lance Lawson

I've been using my M-Audio Delta 66 for a good long time now and its serving me very well. But I realize that it is getting a little long in the tooth. Is there something new in the $300-$400 range that might be better? I was told not that long ago that soundcard technology prettymuch leveled off around the time of the Delta-66. So is it worth replacing my Delta 66 with something newer?

No signs of failure the Delta 66 has been going strong through several computer reincarnations. My thoughts of replacing are based on whether there are newer better sounding cards out there. However if the current state of the art offers no clear advantage in the price range I've quoted then I won't replace it.

Well, for that price you could get yourself a similar PCI with ADAT I/O and maybe a couple of nice XLR combos.
Then you'd want to go out and buy the Behringer ADA 8000 to justify it (plus $60 for cables) and a couple of nice mics and stands for those combos.
Come on man.
Don't turn into me. :D

Seriously though.
Maybe ADAT, 2 XLR combos and 24/96 capability.
I wouldn't switch from PCI to USB or Firewire though.
Let us know what you find.

I've got plenty of mics, stands cables and mixers, as if you could actually have enough, which we know you can never have too many. Now if I don't buy that new soundcard I've got my sights set on some new headphones.

PCI VS Firewire

Aloha Jim,

I saw your note about PCI cards vs Firewire and I just wanted to know what you're using? I have a Dell (pretty fast 3. something, and 2 gigs of ram) I use Audition and have the L22 from Lynx. Stability has always been a problem. I've talked to Lynx, I've talked to Adobe (Audition) to no avail. This weekend I finally went out and bought a used Presonus Firepod. So far everything has been stable and my machine has been humming. Any idea on what kind of problem I've been dealing with????

Ed

I actually record on a stand alone unit and do all of my editing on the PC.
My main PC is a very basic Compaq C with XP Home and 2 gigs of RAM but the card is an Echo Mona which makes all of the difference in the world.
I have a second PC in the studio, which would be more to your liking though. Dell, dual processors, 3 Gigs of RAM, Vista Ultimate 64 bit, put it together myself.
I was completely ignoring that one because it doesn't accept the Echo Mona. However, following the advice of someone around here, I took another look at it and added an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 (about $100) PCI card. It absolutely rocks.
Surprised the heck out of me.

Let me say again though: I've used PCI & USB but not Firewire so can't honestly state that PCI is the best.

Back