Successfully Striped FSK Code With The MTS-30 To Track 8. Now what?

Mark7

For some reason it's not triggering my drum machine. I've definitely set the drum machine to receive MIDI but nothing is happening. What am I missing?

I want the song I've printed the time code for to start playing on the drum machine when I press play on the 388.

This seems like something that the RX8 should be able to do.

By “RX8” you mean a Yamaha RX8? I’m just guessing.

If you mean Yamaha RX8 then, yes, assuming you properly recorded the timecode, and your 388 is appropriately reproducing the timecode, and the 388, MTS-30, and RX8 are hooked up correctly and the RX8 is properly configured, yes I believe it is something the RX8 should be able to do.

First of all, how is everything connected? Is it like this?

RX8 MIDI OUT —> MTS30 MIDI IN
MTS30 MIDI OUT —> RX8 MIDI IN
MTS30 TAPE OUT —> 388 BUSS IN 8
388 TAPE OUT 8 —> MTS30 TAPE IN

If so, good. If not, correct it.

Then did you record timecode correctly?

1. dbx on 388 track 8 defeated
2. Play sequence on RX8 and adjust PGM MASTER EVEN fader to achieve a level of about -10VU on the PGM 8 meter
3. Stop RX8 playback
4. Set 388 to record on track 8 and place the 388 into RECORD - PLAY mode
5. Restart the RX8 sequence…record timecode until the sequence is finished.

If you did all that, good…if you didn’t, do it correctly.

Then is the RX8 configured correctly to lock to the incoming timecode? Refer to your RX8 manual page 33.

If you did all that correctly and it’s still not working, if you monitor the timecode track off the 388 does it sound clean and present or is it distorted or dropping out badly? And does the MTS30 display show the timecode reproducing when you reproduce the track on the 388? Are you sure your cables are all in good condition?

By “RX8” you mean a Yamaha RX8? I’m just guessing.

If you mean Yamaha RX8 then, yes, assuming you properly recorded the timecode, and your 388 is appropriately reproducing the timecode, and the 388, MTS-30, and RX8 are hooked up correctly and the RX8 is properly configured, yes I believe it is something the RX8 should be able to do.

First of all, how is everything connected? Is it like this?

RX8 MIDI OUT —> MTS30 MIDI IN
MTS30 MIDI OUT —> RX8 MIDI IN
MTS30 TAPE OUT —> 388 BUSS IN 8
388 TAPE OUT 8 —> MTS30 TAPE IN

If so, good. If not, correct it.

Then did you record timecode correctly?

1. dbx on 388 track 8 defeated
2. Play sequence on RX8 and adjust PGM MASTER EVEN fader to achieve a level of about -10VU on the PGM 8 meter
3. Stop RX8 playback
4. Set 388 to record on track 8 and place the 388 into RECORD - PLAY mode
5. Restart the RX8 sequence…record timecode until the sequence is finished.

If you did all that, good…if you didn’t, do it correctly.

Then is the RX8 configured correctly to lock to the incoming timecode? Refer to your RX8 manual page 33.

If you did all that correctly and it’s still not working, if you monitor the timecode track off the 388 does it sound clean and present or is it distorted or dropping out badly? And does the MTS30 display show the timecode reproducing when you reproduce the track on the 388? Are you sure your cables are all in good condition?
RX8 MIDI OUT —> MTS30 MIDI IN Check
MTS30 MIDI OUT —> RX8 MIDI IN Check
MTS30 TAPE OUT —> 388 BUSS IN 8 Check
388 TAPE OUT 8 —> MTS30 TAPE IN . Oooh. That didn't occur to me.

You're right, I'm an idiot. Tape out is the way to go. Thanks :D

Yeah…that only works if you set input channel 8 source to RMX and assign the channel to PGM 7-8, PAN hard R, and set the channel fader and PGM MASTER EVEN fader to achieve about -10VU on the PGM 8 VU meter…but that’s way more complicated and enables the potential for a feedback loop than just going directly from the TAPE OUT jack to the MTS30 TAPE IN jack. This is the same advice from back in June of this year with your related thread:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/threads/best-way-to-hook-mts30-up-to-388.421971/#post-4783422

Weirdly the dial up Modem sound has vanished when I went to lay down a time code for a second song but it still striped the FSK code. Is this normal behaviour?

Thinking this is @jpmorris's area of expertise

I've no idea what the 388 does. On the TSR-8 there's usually a little crosstalk when laying down the timecode, i.e. the audio gets induced into head 7 during record, but unless you've recorded the timecode at a stupidly high level, there shouldn't be audible crosstalk during playback. The 388 may be more prone to this anyway since the tape is half as wide for the same number of tracks.

I don't know enough about how the 388 does signal routing - on the TSR-8 there's a SYNC mode that defeats DBX on track 8 and if the 388 does that too, I can imagine it would add a few weird gotchas to the way track 8 is monitored (e.g. on the TSR-8 it adds a few interlocks to prevent you erasing it by accident)

The 388 has a dbx defeat switch on the back of the unit. As for the sound of FSK, turns out you need to have the gain turned up on the monitor channel for track 8 turned up if you want to enjoy it :D

Back