Studio, Work in progress

OhSh1rt

Who needs a 57 anyway?
Greetings,

Over the weekend my Dad and I have been building a (very) small studio in the utility room of our house, need to do the walls/insulation/another piece of glass (broke one of them)/electrical/audio connections/painting/molding

but it's a start right?

LANandStudio010.jpg

Glass very very translucent (the flash show's it's actualy there)

LANandStudio009.jpg

Where the control room will be

LANandStudio008.jpg

Lamp not included

LANandStudio007.jpg

Have to frame around heating duct (will have foam board around it), oh and that wire hanging down is Cat5e for ethernet)

LANandStudio006.jpg

36'' Door.

Problems delt with:
- Floor is not level (all leads to a drain)
- House from the 70's AKA other people have done wierd changes to it (patched many holes in the celling)
- Many pipes
- Heating ducts/Cold air returns

True we didn't put studs every 14'' (or is it 16''?) but we're using 3/4'' MDF, i'm quite sure it will be stroung enough.

It's small, it's probbly going to sound bad, but it beats the hell out of the real basement.

-jeffrey

Studio? You're not serious are you???? Hmmm, good luck..btw, what are you recording? Is the black frame for a window? If so, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that won't isolate anything. From the looks of your construction I would submit that might as well be a screen door. What exactly are you trying to do here? Did you read ANYTHING about isolation(if thats what you are trying to do). If you ARE trying to isolate this space from the adjacent space and the upstairs, I have one suggestion. STOP. Step back, take a deep breath and then go here and read the STICKYS

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=f8f186822f24bb012e5d73978154c7ca

OhSh1rt, I hate to rain on your parade, but your dad obviously knows NOTHING about isolation construction. If this is a "pseudo" studio, cool. But if you ARE trying to isolate this space, you have SERIOUS problems, AND the things you have already built will do nothing in this regard. If you want some REAL isolation, you may need DEMOLISH your existing construction, although, just from the pictures it appears you may have to accept the ineveitable. You may NOT be able to isolate this space, especially considering all the pipes, ducts, HVAC and other structural flanking paths. But just in case you ARE trying to isolate this, and continue on your present construction, be prepared for disappointment. Sorry. If you DO want some help in this regard, we will need MUCH MORE info and pictures, and maybe a plan(drawing) to see your intent.
fitZ

RICK FITZPATRICK said:
Studio? You're not serious are you????

Rick,

What's the deal? The kid's 14 & getting some help from his old man. Do you really think that either one of them are sound isolation experts?

I understand that there are plenty of online resources outlining how to properly build an isolated studio space. I also understand that not everyone (especially those below legal working age) has the money to drop on a fantastic sounding room.

The kid's 14. Lighten up. This is probably the biggest thing to happen to him in his whole life. Way to introduce the proverbial rain cloud.

Rick, I don't know what crawls up your ass periodically but I really hope you lose the bitterness one of these days. Your fake 'I want to appear helpful but, in reality, talk down to everyone' routine is getting old.

I'm sure he'll appreciate the link, as it DOES contain a lot of useful information. Just can the attitude, ok?

invisiblenemies said:
Rick,

What's the deal? The kid's 14 & getting some help from his old man. Do you really think that either one of them are sound isolation experts?

I understand that there are plenty of online resources outlining how to properly build an isolated studio space. I also understand that not everyone (especially those below legal working age) has the money to drop on a fantastic sounding room.

The kid's 14. Lighten up. This is probably the biggest thing to happen to him in his whole life. Way to introduce the proverbial rain cloud.

Rick, I don't know what crawls up your ass periodically but I really hope you lose the bitterness one of these days. Your fake 'I want to appear helpful but, in reality, talk down to everyone' routine is getting old.

I'm sure he'll appreciate the link, as it DOES contain a lot of useful information. Just can the attitude, ok?

I don't exactly want to get into someone else's fight here, but Rick's reactions to these people's lazy lack of knowledge isn't so out of no where. The kid may be 14, but people have to find out somehow what it's like in the real world. So hes getting a lot of help from his dad, well maybe he shouldn't be babyd soo much then. I'm 16, I build my entire studio with my friend who also helps run it. I built it completely on my own after reading like hell. My parents paid for nothing and treat me as if I'm a 30 year old guy running a buisness. So I'd say you really shouldn't lay off because of the kid's age. He didn't search hard enough, and this is what's gonna happen. Believe me nothing Rick says can hurt him nearly as much as the pain he is going to go through when he realizes his lack of research cost him a whole construction that does next to nothing. Rick is in line here in my opinion.

Ben

Do you really think that either one of them are sound isolation experts?
No. Thats why I posted a link. But the reality is...when someone is interested enough in recording to BUILD a space for it, that IMPLYS they UNDERSTAND that a mic pics up noise, and music transmission to other areas CAN bother people, and SO, are trying to isolate it :mad: Whether you believe it or not, I AM trying to help them IF that is the case here. What YOU and other people do is go.....COOL MAN!(Yet give no TRUTHFUL insight to even home studio building. Thats why I told him to STOP IF, they are trying tro isolate the space. So fuck off.

The kid's 14. Lighten up. This is probably the biggest thing to happen to him in his whole life.
I don't give a damn if he's 5. If INDEED the point is to isolate, then they are NOT doing any good in the direction they are proceeding. Otherwise, whats the goddamned point of building a space, hmmmmmmmm???? :rolleyes:

I don't know what crawls up your ass periodically but I really hope you lose the bitterness one of these days.
You don't know what the fuck you are talking about. Theres NOTHING up my ass but telling the truth, and if it hurts, so goddamned be it. SOME people appreciate learning the truth BEFORE they blow their budget and time. Others, such as yourself don't really give a damn cause it AIN"T your money and time. :mad:

Your fake 'I want to appear helpful but, in reality, talk down to everyone' routine is getting old.
FAKE????????????? Take a look at the HUNDREDS of pictures, diagrams, sections, plans, instructions and LONG explanations I've posted here, as OPPOSED to yours, and THEN tell me I'm fake. I can't help it if some people IGNOR my offer of help. Thats their problem. But it doesn't mean I CAN"T back it up. So fuck off Mr. Brilliant.

I'm sure he'll appreciate the link,
Whats the point of appreciation IF you are correct in your assumptions, hmmmmm? I posted it BECAUSE I felt they were making a mistake ....IF THEY WANT WHAT ALL HOME STUDIO ENTHUSIASTS WANT...ISOLATION. Otherwise, why go to the trouble of building something that PLAIN DOESN"T WORK...might as well just use your bedroom......no? THAT MY FRIEND IS THE POINT!!!

emergencyexit said:
Rick is in line here in my opinion.

You're entitled to your opinion. Rick's entitled to his.

I just think it's an asshole move to call people out with a shitty attitude. That was my point.

Rick's points were valid & true. I'm not arguing that. I'm disappointed in the tone it was stated and the constant lack of respect that often flows from his fingers.

invisiblenemies said:
Rick,

I don't exactly want to get into someone else's fight here, but Rick's reactions to these people's lazy lack of knowledge isn't so out of no where. The kid may be 14, but people have to find out somehow what it's like in the real world. So hes getting a lot of help from his dad, well maybe he shouldn't be babyd soo much then. I'm 16, I build my entire studio with my friend who also helps run it. I built it completely on my own after reading like hell. My parents paid for nothing and treat me as if I'm a 30 year old guy running a buisness. So I'd say you really shouldn't lay off because of the kid's age. He didn't search hard enough, and this is what's gonna happen. Believe me nothing Rick says can hurt him nearly as much as the pain he is going to go through when he realizes his lack of research cost him a whole construction that does next to nothing. Rick is in line here in my opinion.

Ben

RICK FITZPATRICK said:
What YOU and other people do is go.....COOL MAN!(Yet give no TRUTHFUL insight to even home studio building. Thats why I told him to STOP IF, they are trying tro isolate the space. So fuck off.

Re-read his post. He didn't ask for help. He simply was showing off his space. There's nothing wrong with that.

RICK said:
You don't know what the fuck you are talking about.

I know plenty. Thanks for your concern.

RICK said:
SOME people appreciate learning the truth BEFORE they blow their budget and time. Others, such as yourself don't really give a damn cause it AIN"T your money and time. :mad:

I'm sure he would appreciate learning the truth - I think MOST people would. However, he didn't ask about sound isolation or for smart ass remarks. In fact, he states that he knows it will probably sound poor.

Since I DO appreciate learning the "truth", your second point stating that I don't give a damn is invalid. Gramatically speaking, your statement is false. I can draw you a simple Venn Diagram illustrating this if you'd like.

I'm sorry. I'm just stating the TRUTH...as well as capitalizing random WORDS.

RICK said:
FAKE????????????? Take a look at the HUNDREDS of pictures, diagrams, sections, plans, instructions and LONG explanations I've posted here, as OPPOSED to yours, and THEN tell me I'm fake. I can't help it if some people IGNOR my offer of help. Thats their problem. But it doesn't mean I CAN"T back it up.

Yes, Rick, you HAVE contributed greatly to this forum. I'm not arguing that. Your posts are generally quite insightful - especially when you take the time to post diagrams to back your statements.

I do, however, have a problem with the way you generally mistreat anyone under the age of 35. I won't really get into it now, as this topic surfaces almost quarterly. A simple search will confirm that.

RICK said:
So fuck off Mr. Brilliant.

FYI: "IGNOR" has an 'e' at the end of it.

Thank you for calling me brilliant. I'm glad it shows.

RICK said:
Whats the point of appreciation IF you are correct in your assumptions, hmmmmm? I posted it BECAUSE I felt they were making a mistake ....IF THEY WANT WHAT ALL HOME STUDIO ENTHUSIASTS WANT...ISOLATION. Otherwise, why go to the trouble of building something that PLAIN DOESN"T WORK...might as well just use your bedroom......no? THAT MY FRIEND IS THE POINT!!!

I was being sincere. The link you posted does have great information on it.

I agree that isolation is important. In fact, it is very important.

I still stand by my initial argument. Your tone is harsh & unnecessary.

Hey OhSh1rt:

Congratulations on starting your new studio! I hope music and recording will provide you with a lifetime of enjoyment and fullfillment.

One word of advise - If you haven't done so already, maybe you should step back a moment and rethink your construction. Take a little time out to read up on acoustics and studio construction techniques. Perhaps post some more detailed pictures and a floorplan for the members of this board to look at and offer advice. Obviously, this is a project being done on a budget, and you're not gonna achieve acoustical perfection in this space. But by making sure you think carefully about everything you're doing - BEFORE completing your construction, you can hopefully maximize the potential here.

Again, good luck!

ohsh1rt: what are your expectations of the studio? what will you be recording in the space? i'm sure some research would help out with the end result no matter what your expectations for the space are, at least to have an idea of the end results vs. expectations.

rick: your post was pretty damn harsh man. think about it. you start off with "Studio? You're not serious are you???? Hmmm, good luck..btw". might as well have called the kid a fkn moron. then you say "OhSh1rt, I hate to rain on your parade, but your dad obviously knows NOTHING about isolation construction". while that is probably true, personally, i would have taken that as an insult on my dad. the whole damn post carried a tone like you were screaming at the kid.

while you are giving ohsh1rt some good advice, you're not coming across as trying to be helpful at all. lighten up, this is Home Recording.

JeffLancaster said:
Hey OhSh1rt:

Congratulations on starting your new studio! I hope music and recording will provide you with a lifetime of enjoyment and fullfillment.

One word of advise - If you haven't done so already, maybe you should step back a moment and rethink your construction. Take a little time out to read up on acoustics and studio construction techniques. Perhaps post some more detailed pictures and a floorplan for the members of this board to look at and offer advice. Obviously, this is a project being done on a budget, and you're not gonna achieve acoustical perfection in this space. But by making sure you think carefully about everything you're doing - BEFORE completing your construction, you can hopefully maximize the potential here.

Again, good luck!

See? It's not hard to give advice while maintaining a helpful & courteous demeanor.

Cheers.

invisiblenemies said:
I do, however, have a problem with the way you generally mistreat anyone under the age of 35.

Well I'm 16, he hasn't "mistreated" me. Also notice the post by notbradsohner saying "Rick has been nothing but helpful in the construction of my studio." Now notice that we are both under 35. I'm not trying to be mean, but you did say something about appreciating the truth. Don't lie and say you like the truth in the same post.

Ben

"Wow", alright thanks for the positives, and somewhat thanks for the negitives

I know nothing of sound isollation and do not expect this to be isolated at all, I expect to try and obsorb a little bit of sound without spending any more non-avaliable money

So let it be known from this point on what the hell this project is:
- A 2 or 3 weekend project
- A replacement from an open room with a bench with a computer on it
- A place to play

and what it is not:
- Acousticaly correct (I am recording highschool bands for christ sakes, it's better than the karaoke machines that most of them use)
- Issolating, it wont bother my parents when I play in the basement as much as it does currently.

Relax. Take a deep breathe. And out.

-jeffrey

PS: The main concern of this room is getting the most out of the avaliable space
PS: I love flame wars.

Good luck - I hope you'll show some more pictures when you're done. And please don't be afraid to ask for help, that's what this board is for.

JeffLancaster said:
Good luck - I hope you'll show some more pictures when you're done. And please don't be afraid to ask for help, that's what this board is for.
Thanks! Will do, expect some more progress saturday (can't bring myself to work on it during the weekdays)

treymonfauntre said:
does your dad play music or are you just incredibly lucky?
Both.

-jeffrey

Don't let "producer ego" get in your way. Your studio has nothing to do with these people. Just do what feels right at this time in your life with your experience and 10 years from now you can learn from any mistakes you made and build a nicer, better place. In any case, starting at your age at this level is pretty exciting. I wish you the best of luck.

Back