Studio, Work in progress

This just suck a bit. I've seen older guys on here asking ho to make their garden shed into a studio and not get flamed like that.

As much as Rick is an invaluable source of information at times he sure as hell knows how to fly off on a tangent about nothing in particular. My guess is his wife is on the rag this week.

Cool space kid, wish I had been more focused on what I wanted to do when I was 14. Stick around and read everything you can. Check out SAE and John Sayers site

Hey if all you're looking for is a place to play and you're not attempting to build a recording studio, then very cool man. My dad didn't neccesarily help me build a studio when I was your age, but we did build a really big bedroom for me in the basement and that was my space to bang on drums and play my guitar loudly. Good luck with your project.

I do hope though that in the future if you buy your own house and you really do want to build a home recording studio (like me and many other people here have) that you do some research and learn from the mistakes you're currently making. Hopefully when you start reading up on sound isolation you'll actually laugh at what you've built so far :) because the problems are glaring. Before you build your next "studio", do us proud and research and learn. You'll be proud of yourself at what you can acheive.

LemonTree said:
My guess is his wife is on the rag this week.

And ouch dude, this was just as uncalled for as Rick's flaming response. Kiss and make up boys.

I know nothing of sound isollation and do not expect this to be isolated at all, I expect to try and obsorb a little bit of sound without spending any more non-avaliable money
Well now, had you said that in the first place, I wouldn't have said a word. I DID say it was cool if this is what you say now.

Contrary to what some people think here, I only tried to inform you of impending disappointment IF you were trying to isolate this space. I can appreciate where you are coming from, and wish you a good time in your new space.

For you other guys, let me set the record straight here. The ONLY time I come across with an INTENDED attitude, is when people post a thread with an attitude of their own, presume they are intitled to information with no work on their behalf, when they post pictures of studios that do NOT belong to them or they did NOT build themself and claim to have, or claim to live in a universe with a different set of physics, or post using little or no punctuation or other writing standards that make it impossible to dicipher what they are saying, and a few other things that most people don't do when posting. I feel as though I have helped enough people on the bbs to vent my viewpoint where I feel its needed. I don't arbitrarily vent on people just because I can, and maybe my manners could be better sometimes. However, that has no bearing on the crux of what I am trying to convey to people. If they, or you don't like the way I post, well so be it. DON"T READ IT THEN. If anything, I tell people the truth as I know it. However, some people would rather post "polite" responses that either tell them nothing, or give a "nod" for something that I know isn't right. Hence opening my mouth. Well, thats all I have to say. Adios.

Hey man, I've got no problem with your posts. Most of the time you're simply honest and unmerciful, I like that style. No one learns if they're not a) challanged, and b) told the truth. I just hope when I get around to posting all my studio pictures you don't tell me I'm not the one really building it... :)

Most of the time you're simply honest and unmerciful,
At least you didn't have to grow up with MY Dad. :D He let me know in no uncertain terms that the REAL world doesn't give a shit if you can't deal with it. Maybe my "unmerciful" attitude isn't the most cordial on the net. But after 60 years of dealing with the real world, frankly, I don't give a hoot. :) At least I tell it like it is instead of handing out "nice work" plattitudes when in reality, you are short changing the person. Anyway, sorry if I offended anyone, or ruffled some feathers. That wasn't my intent. If it was, you would REALLY know it. ;)

All construction and no play makes jeff a dull boy.

studioday20019nz.jpg

Oh hay thar, Insulation for between the control room/live room and control room/furnace

studioday20033ao.jpg

Boxed in (damn pipes), will include XLR connections.

studioday20042jq.jpg

Plenty of electrical outlets

studioday20056ct.jpg

Moved the 2x4 out a bit so it's not touching the cold air return

studioday20063fo.jpg

More electrical, the empty box will have 4 XLR connectors in it

studioday20072fo.jpg

Two doors mounted to access the furnace/water heater/newly moved central vacume

studioday20099lk.jpg

Plenty more outlets and an ethernet cable danglin'

studioday20113qg.jpg

We also installed an electrical panel, all of the outlets in the studio are on a single GFI breaker, should be good.

studioday20126sd.jpg

Everyone loves caulk, oh and, we had to reroute a lot of pipe for the damn centrual vacume so we went ahead and installed an outlet in the studio

Enjoy.

-jeffrey

JeffLancaster said:
Nice to see some progress. Keep it up!
I hope to finish it this week, (spring break)

Studio3002.jpg

Entrance, I don't think you can tell a diffrence but, oh well.

Studio3003.jpg

Starting to insulate the cold air return/wall

Studio3004.jpg

Backside of the homemade "patch bay"

Studio3005.jpg

Wall to the furnace is completely insulated, requires some drywall though, and some sort of fiberglass on the back of the doors?

Studio3006.jpg

View from inside the control room (MDF)

Studio3007.jpg

More wall

Studioagain001.jpg

Boxes. Left will hold a headphone jack, right will hold 4 XLR's

Studioagain002.jpg

A dirty way of doing it, but you can not see them at all from almost any angle so it works out.

Studioagain003.jpg

Cables, Yay.

Studioagain004.jpg

Another box

Studio3001.jpg

Current practice space, yes I do have a tom and a crash for my drums.

So, a wall, some paint, some insulation, some cables, not bad.

Today (well yeasterday), got 5 more rolls of insulation, some paint, by the way, who the hell makes up the names for paint? Jesus.

5 light fixtures, ah, I think thats it, and I got a chance to go to guitar center, Ah I want everything in that store, sadly their ProTools setup was fucked up.

Watch out guys, don't post to many flames at once.

anyways:

StudioDrywall001.jpg

First stages of drywall, first stage of my dad's head

StudioDrywall003.jpg

My sisters boyfriend, a necessity.

StudioDrywall008.jpg

My eyes are only red when the devil gets inside of me

StudioDrywall009.jpg

I do stuff.

StudioDrywall012.jpg

Looking good

StudioDrywall015.jpg

Small amount left on this end of the room

StudioDrywall016.jpg

Woot

StudioDrywall017.jpg

Behind this (well behind the fiberglass behind this) is the gas vavle, so may as well stick to code and put in a hatch

StudioDrywall018.jpg

Perfect fit for my smaller amp

woot.
-jeffrey

Looking real good there jeffrey. From what you've accomplished, I'd say you've
got a studio. :p :) Congrats. Let us know how it sounds. If you need help with anything don't be afraid to holler. I've never been known to bite. :D

OhSh1rt said:
We also installed an electrical panel, all of the outlets in the studio are on a single GFI breaker, should be good.

Ouch... I don't know about that. Have you added up the wattage of all your devices? I hope you at LEAST ran 12 gage wire if nothing else. I'd be worried about only having one breaker for all those outlets. I broke up all the outlets in my studio into 4 circuits.

PA = 1000 watts
Bass amp = 700 watts
Guitar amp = 300 watts
Computer = 100 watts

If you look at just the numbers in that fashion, you're looking at 17.5 amps at 120 volts with just that equipment. Of course everything isn't going to be pulling full wattage all the time, but it should at least give you pause. And if it's too late to break them onto more circuits... Oh well! :D I'm sure you'll deal.

It's looking good kid!!!

RICK FITZPATRICK said:
Looking real good there jeffrey. From what you've accomplished, I'd say you've
got a studio. :p :) Congrats. Let us know how it sounds. If you need help with anything don't be afraid to holler. I've never been known to bite. :D
Thanks man, appreciate it

@SonicClang:
14 gauge actualy, hope it should do alright

There is an outlet in the studio, however, that is on a diffrent breaker so if power becomes a problem I can stick the computer and two poweramps on it.

The PA to be ran in there is beond underpowered so, 400watts at max (*sigh*)

and well if it all burns down we do have home owners insurance, but would they cover work done without a permit by some guy and guy? Doubt it.

The sound so far doesnt sound to terriable, in the future ill try and afford some acoustic treatments.

All the drywall is, yes, DONE (in the live room at least). What a feeling.

Thanks for the positive comments and I hope the wiring wont be a problem.

-jeffrey

I hate to double post, but:

StudioDay4-14001.jpg

StudioDay4-14002.jpg

I now have a whole new respect for construction workers, although we probbly do try and build to a better grade.

-jeffrey

Nice pics man - looking pretty good! You guys have been working hard. You have a totally cool Dad to support your hobby and help out like that, I hope you let him know how much you appreciate his efforts. Can't wait to see how it looks finished with your gear set up in there!

JeffLancaster said:
Hey OhSh1rt:

Congratulations on starting your new studio! I hope music and recording will provide you with a lifetime of enjoyment and fullfillment.

One word of advise - If you haven't done so already, maybe you should step back a moment and rethink your construction. Take a little time out to read up on acoustics and studio construction techniques. Perhaps post some more detailed pictures and a floorplan for the members of this board to look at and offer advice. Obviously, this is a project being done on a budget, and you're not gonna achieve acoustical perfection in this space. But by making sure you think carefully about everything you're doing - BEFORE completing your construction, you can hopefully maximize the potential here.

Again, good luck!

THIS is how you take care of the situation

Dang man, I wish I'd had an unfiinshed basement to work with!
What color scheme(s) are you going to be going with?
Isn't bulding your own stuff so much fun! :cool:

I just wish I had a basement when I was younger that I could have done something similar for my band. It looks really nice man, I hope everything turns out well.

Back