Studio Projects C4

Last edited:
You know DJL, I love how you pretend to be polite and all, then come back with your witless comments like the last one. Geeze.

DJL, everybody knows Behringer makes clones of gear that was designed by other manufacturers. Everybody knows if you don't have costs of development, you can make things cheaper.

Almost everybody knows the B5 is a clone of the C4, both are manufactured by 797, but the design is from SP.

I will never buy a B5, but I will buy the C4 instead. Why? because I don't like crooks, that's why.

Moreover, the similarity of the B5 to the C-4 acoustically, is far from established. To define them as the same mic, DJL, is waaay jumping the gun.-Richie

Han said:
DJL, everybody knows Behringer makes clones of gear that was designed by other manufacturers. Everybody knows if you don't have costs of development, you can make things cheaper.

Almost everybody knows the B5 is a clone of the C4, both are manufactured by 797, but the design is from SP.

I will never buy a B5, but I will buy the C4 instead. Why? because I don't like crooks, that's why.
!) No one has shown me they are the same mic - no circuit comparisons have been made yet to my knowledge, capsules haven't been compared
2) Even if they are the same, the matching, added capsule, case, shockmounts, and especially the added quality control and customer service from SP make them well worth the added $150 or so.

Han said:
What's your point bro? Are you telling me the C4 is too expensive?
I was just helping those who want to maintain Alan's theme...

alanhyatt said:
<snip>

We give the market what they want. Why, because the market wants it!

<snip>

I can't help that the market wants better quality for less money. That is just the way it is. There will always be the high end and big buck products, and let me tell you how much they will lose in 10 years. Look at the Sony APR24 ten years ago. Are the big boy toys worth it? Yes, to those that make their money from it, but the masses today are basement guys having fun, making records at home which you could not do 20 years ago for $100K.
<snip>

And with that in mind... the Behringer B5 seems to be a good choice for those who can't afford or don't want to pay that much for the SP C4.

DJL said:
The Behringer B-5 comes with interchangeable cardiod and omnidirectional capsules and a gold-sputtered diaphragm, ultra low-noise transformerless FET input, -10dB attenuator, a low-cut filter, and includes a hard case, stand adapter, and windscreen... and it's only $79.99. :)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...6109820/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/270492/
I didn't realize the B5 came with both capsules. Still, for the extra money you know what you are getting - with the B5 it's a crapshoot.

crazydoc said:
I didn't realize the B5 came with both capsules. Still, for the extra money you know what you are getting - with the B5 it's a crapshoot.
(Responding while keeping Alan's theme in mind) Yeah, the Behringer B5 comes with both capsules and just like with the SP C4 you know your getting a 797 Audio built mic... and you don't have to spend any extra money for it. :)

DJL said:
(Responding while keeping Alan's theme in mind) Yeah, the Behringer B5 comes with both capsules and just like with the SP C4 you know your getting a 797 Audio built mic... and you don't have to spend any extra money for it. :)

You've ground this axe to a nub and the monomaniacal repetition is nothing more than monotonous. Please give it, and us, a rest.

Bob

DJL said:
Is it just me or did anyone else notice DJL taking a leap over into the realm of highly opinionated speculation here?

crazydoc said:

The Q.A. on the Berry B5 will be set by 797 themselves, and how anyone can say the design comes from S.P. must be a psychic.

I use them because they do "what it says on the Tin" no more no less.

When you buy from SP, from what I can see you get the support of a company that at least cares about the end user to a greater degree than a typical large operator. This itself is worth a few Bucks.

At the prices U can get the C4's from in the states I would probably have bought those as a matched pair instead of the B5's but in the UK they are just too expensive.

Behringer set a precedent, NO, make that a number of precedents, by blatantly taking other companies' designs and having the products remanufactured under the Behringer name, consequently, when the B5's appeared not too long after the C4's, looking for all intents and purposes near identical to the C4's, people are somewhat justified in being suspicious.

Alan Hyatt said a few weeks ago that the information he had from people inside Behringer and 797 was that the B5's had different electronics and capsules to the C4's..............the only way to totally prove this is to obtain one of each mic and dismantle it, right down to the diaphram. Such an exercise would be both costly and a waste of time as even though many of us can work our way through comparing circuits, ultimately very few, if any of us have the capabilities to fully dismantle and analyse diaphram materials, etc.

If PMI choose to do so, then it is their perogative as to whether they make public their findings............if the mics were different, then that just confirms what Alan has already said, on the other hand, if the mics were identical or if the B5 was shown to be an obvious clone of the C4, then the exercise shows Behringer and 797 to be somewhat liberal with the truth..............BUT none of this will stop Behringer from marketing the B5 nor will it stop those people who for whatever reason, choose to purchase a B5 from doing so.

:cool:

Flatpicker said:
Is it just me or did anyone else notice DJL taking a leap over into the realm of highly opinionated speculation here?
That wasn't my opinion, it's a fact that the Behringer B5 comes with both capsules and that the SP C4 and Behringer B5 are both made by 797 Audio in China... I got the info from Alan in another thread. If you want my opinion... instead I'd buy top name brand mics because they will last you a life time and hold their value better (plus I think their better mics)... but like Alan pointed out, some people can only afford cheap budget mics and that's why we have mics like the SP C4 and Behringer B5 and etc flooding the market today.

still4given said:
DJL, I really believe when Alan said "your mics" he was really speaking of the $100 budget mics he had been talking about and not necessarily "your" mics. I wouldn't consider those "AKG's, Earthworks, Beyer's, Josephson, Neumann's, Sennheisers , EV's, Shure's and etc " that you speak of to be "budget" mics. I guess to a real pro they may be though. As far a my SP B1 goes, considering how good it sounds and how little it costs, I expect that ten years from now there will be so many on the market, it will be hard to give them away. That's what I think Alan was eluding too.

Blessings, Terry
For the record... I thought pretty much the same thing when I read that also (but later we learned that he meant "all mics" except vintage mics.... and I disagree). I was just wondering what you made of the "smoke screen" when I posted the mind reading post to you. :)

Last edited:
DJL said:
Yeah, the Behringer B5 comes with both capsules and just like with the SP C4 you know your getting a 797 Audio built mic... and you don't have to spend any extra money for it. :)
And in keeping with that logic:

"Yeah, the $10,000 Chevrolet Cavalier comes with 2 doors and four wheels, and just like with the $75,000 Cadillac XLR, you know you're getting a General Motors built car... and you don't have to spend any extra money for it. :)"

Harvey Gerst said:
And in keeping with that logic:

"Yeah, the $10,000 Chevrolet Cavalier comes with 2 doors and four wheels, and just like with the $75,000 Cadillac XLR, you know you're getting a General Motors built car... and you don't have to spend any extra money for it. :)"
Harvey, did you see the post where Alan said something like "Almost everybody knows the B5 is a clone of the C4" before the thread got deleated from PMI/Alan's Studio Forums? You know the thread where Alan's was stabbing me behind my back... I didn't see it but I got many PM's and emails about it.

I wish those who saw the thread where Alan said the Behringer B5 is a Studio Projects C4 clone before the thread got deleted would step up to the plate and speak up... in fact, I wish Alan Hyatt would step up to the plate and repeat what he said in that thread about the B5, C4, and about me in public right here on this bbs.

I'm sure Alan thought that 797 had stabbed him in the back at first, but he found out later that the Behringer and the C4 are not that similar.

Lemme tell ya how marketing works: The Behringer marketing and research team are all sitting around a meeting table when someone says, "What would be good new product for us to sell?". Somebody says, "Hey, there's a big market for low priced, small diaphragm, multi-capsule mics that we haven't hit. Look at the success of Oktava, Rode, and Studio Projects". Somebody else says, "Okay, let's do one. Contact 797 and see what they can supply us at $X price point".

And that's how Behringer probably "developed" the B5.

Back