Studio Projects C4

Fret

Does anyone know of a good place to get a good deal on the Studio Projects C4s new or used?

I've not any seen of them used for sale. I know they are some of the last mics I'd sell out of my collection. Go ahead and spend the $350, you won't regret it, money well spent.

I saw them used once on Ebay but I think they went for about $340. Anywhere I find them they are $369 new. I'll definitely be getting them I just don't want to find them cheaper the next day.

Anywhere I order them from is a total shot in the dark because any of the stores I would usually use do not carry them. Can anyone recommend a good reliable source?

As usual, of COURSE, you are going to call Full Compass, ask for Joel Pare, and see what kind of price he gives you 1st. Right? Never fails to give me the best price around on shit they carry. I'll probably be calling him for another RNC or two here soon.

You know those are crapy mics. I don’t think you’ll like them. Let me get you my address.

If you are willing to wait it out, C4 can be had for less than the daily $369 eBay price.

I'm looking forward to experimenting with the Omni capsules. Alan or Brent was making mention of the possibility of hypercardioid capsules for C4 in the future. That would be a huge plus for tight drum work.

Fret said:
Does anyone know of a good place to get a good deal on the Studio Projects C4s new or used?

The C4's will be coming down by $50.00 in a 6 weeks or so.... Keep checking....

Even if they do come down $50 (a good thing), I'm still ok with my used set.

And I still want the hypercardioid capsules if they are made available separately.

Re: Re: Studio Projects C4

alanhyatt said:
The C4's will be coming down by $50.00 in a 6 weeks or so.... Keep checking....
Hi Alan, please don't take this the wrong way, because I know your trying to do a good thing by bring the SP C4 mic cost down... but, I remember right after I bought a MXLV67G the price dropped and the mic lost close to half it's resale value... the same thing happend right after I bought a VTB-1, again the price dropped and the VTB-1 loss a lot of it's value. I hate it when this kind of stuff happens... my Shure SM81's, and etc are all holding their value, hell some gear is worth more than the day I bought it . It's a shame to see people invest in equipment that can't/won't hold it's value. Anyway, that's my two cents, please think about what I just told you and don't take it the wrong way. Thanks :)

Last edited:
If Alan is able to and is willing to offer his products for a cheaper price, why shouldn't he? DJL, i can understand why you would be upset over resale value but your complaint is almost like someone buying a car brand new at the start of 2004 for $25,000. At the end of 2004 the dealer starts selling the same car for $20,000 to make room for the 2005 model and your all like, HEY WTF? What about my resale value.

Thanks Alan, :rolleyes:

Well, the Alan & Heath mix wizard, Shure SM81's, Tascam CDRW700's, Boss 707's and etc are holding there value... there's a lot of equipment holding it's value and some worth even more. I think it's unfair to the first buyers to drop the price unless the product just can't/won't hold it's value. But thanks for sharing your opinion Wiredneck.

PS... they were talking about HLWB's like you on the Rack forum the other day... lol. Later dude.

Last edited:
Sorry man just thinking out loud i guess. You know I honestly don't have a problem with you or have any reason to dislike you. I just think alot of your questions are self explanatory.

"PS... they were talking about HLWB's like you on the Rack forum the other day... lol."

Thats great DJL im really flattered.

Why only kid... Remember when Radio Shack sold Crown PZM’s?

chessrock said:
Say, aren't those the same mic as the Behringer B5 ? :D :D he he. Just kidding guys. Seriously. I am just kidding.
Then again the Behringer B5 and Studio Projects C4 may be more alike than we know... after all, both the B5 and C4 look a lot like each other with the pad and roll-off switches and interchangeable capsules... plus both the B5 and C4 are made by 797 Audio in China. However, there are also some small obvious differences between the mics, like the ports and the threading on the capsules and etc. I’d like to see the PCB’s and etc of both the B5 and C4. Behringer is known for stealing/copying products... and so is 797 Audio. Too bad 797 Audio in China doesn’t get their act together and dump the middleman and sell their mics direct under their own name... that way they might even make better mics because they couldn’t hide QC issues behind SE, SP, Behringer, and etc.

DJL said:
Hi Alan, please don't take this the wrong way, because I know your trying to do a good thing by bring the SP C4 mic cost down... but, I remember right after I bought a MXLV67G the price dropped and the mic lost close to half it's resale value... the same thing happend right after I bought a VTB-1, again the price dropped and the VTB-1 loss a lot of it's value. Thanks :)

DJL,

Your question is a good one, so I will answer it. In answering I will have to make comments or offer opinions, so in doing so, I am not Spamming, promoting or selling.

I do not want to drive the market down or make people lose money. This “is” what is happening to the market! There are thousands of new buyers getting into recording each day. Every computer sold today is a potential home studio. Nothing PMI Audio has produced has lost half its value like you say Marshall has, and the fact is, at these prices, we are talking about expendable money.

Today, you can pay $100.00 for a good mic and another $100.00 for a good mic pre. You can use it for 20 years, so the cost is nothing. In 3 years if you tossed them out, you got your monies worth. So what have you lost compared to losing hundreds or thousands?

Ten years from now your mics will be worth very little compared to what you paid for them, unless it is a vintage C12, ELM250, U67/47 or other collector mic. If it is not a collector mic, then forget it, you will lose money. Most everything losses money!

As for the C4, well the C4's reduction is a need to be priced more in line with the RODE NT5 in my opinion. At this price, Studio Projects can show a better value for the money, and I think we will do that at $319.99, but necessarily at $369.99. It does not matter to anybody what you, or myself think about a product. All that matters, is did the product work? Harvey Gerst speaks from “his” experiences, and those opinions may not be right for others either. Product knowledge is a good thing, as is experience, but not everyone hears the same. Point is…Harvey smokes Camels, so is Camels the best or only Cigarette on the market for the money? I don’t know what he smoke’s, I am just making a statement! You don’t smoke them because he does…you smoke them because you like them. I hate smoking, so I don’t smoke! So now what? That is why companies have to bring many products to market that compete.

There are all different kinds of mics and outboard gear out there. People are looking for a dark transformer mic like the V67. The C1 is a different sounding mic and more expensive, but we don’t reduce its price as the C1 is worth its price. What we will do is offer the new Joemeek JM47, a clone of the V67 only with a pad and filter out of the Feilo factory where the V67 came from originally. We will offer the Joemeek JM27…same mic as the ADK SC1, Marshall 603 and some others at $59.00. We give the market what they want. Why, because the market wants it! How can you worry about loosing money at these prices?

I can't help that the market wants better quality for less money. That is just the way it is. There will always be the high end and big buck products, and let me tell you how much they will lose in 10 years. Look at the Sony APR24 ten years ago. Are the big boy toys worth it? Yes, to those that make their money from it, but the masses today are basement guys having fun, making records at home which you could not do 20 years ago for $100K. This is where the business is going, and why record companies are dying. If, and I say “IF” a decent engineer has decent budget equipment and a decent room to work with, the results will not be very much different if done at a Pro Studio.

In closing, since you are concerned with value, the entire B Series is going up in price on March 1st. So all those B Series owners just made money on their Studio Projects mics! The B1, B3, and TB1 are going up. We will add some extra value and will now include the shock mount. Each will go up about $20.00 or more at street price, and the TB1, which happens to be one of the best sounding tube mics out there at the new $279.00 price according to Mix and EQ magazine, will get a larger new case.

I hope this helps you understand why we do these things….

Alan Hyatt
PMI Audio Group

Alan, thanks for taking the time.

I'm not in agreement with you... for example, I wouldn't call the the Marshall MXL V67G a dark mic rather than calling the Studio Projects C1 a bright mic... anyways, lets not get into that now... but you say... "Ten years from now your mics will be worth very little compared to what you paid for them, unless it is a vintage C12, ELM250, U67/47 or other collector mic. If it is not a collector mic, then forget it, you will lose money. Most everything losses money!"... My mics aren't vintage but my AKG's, Earthworks, Beyer's, Josephson, Neumann's, Sennheisers , EV's, Shure's and etc will keep holding their value... and may become worth more ten-twenty years from now... but, I do respect your opinion. Thanks again. :)

Last edited:
DJL said:
Alan, thanks for taking the time.

I'm not in agreement with you... for example, I wouldn't call the the Marshall MXL V67G a dark mic rather than calling the Studio Projects C1 a bright mic... anyways, lets not get into that now... but you say... "Ten years from now your mics will be worth very little compared to what you paid for them, unless it is a vintage C12, ELM250, U67/47 or other collector mic. If it is not a collector mic, then forget it, you will lose money. Most everything losses money!"... My mics aren't vintage but my AKG's, Earthworks, Beyer's, Josephson, Neumann's, Sennheisers , EV's, Shure's and etc will keep holding their value... and may become worth more ten-twenty years from now... but, I do respect your opinion. Thanks again. :)

DJL, I really believe when Alan said "your mics" he was really speaking of the $100 budget mics he had been talking about and not necessarily "your" mics. I wouldn't consider those "AKG's, Earthworks, Beyer's, Josephson, Neumann's, Sennheisers , EV's, Shure's and etc " that you speak of to be "budget" mics. I guess to a real pro they may be though. As far a my SP B1 goes, considering how good it sounds and how little it costs, I expect that ten years from now there will be so many on the market, it will be hard to give them away. That's what I think Alan was eluding too.

Blessings, Terry

still4given said:
DJL, I really believe when Alan said "your mics" he was really speaking of the $100 budget mics he had been talking about and not necessarily "your" mics. I wouldn't consider those "AKG's, Earthworks, Beyer's, Josephson, Neumann's, Sennheisers , EV's, Shure's and etc " that you speak of to be "budget" mics. I guess to a real pro they may be though. As far a my SP B1 goes, considering how good it sounds and how little it costs, I expect that ten years from now there will be so many on the market, it will be hard to give them away. That's what I think Alan was eluding too.

Blessings, Terry
While your reading minds what do make of this "It does not matter to anybody what you, or myself think about a product. All that matters, is did the product work? Harvey Gerst speaks from “his” experiences, and those opinions may not be right for others either. Product knowledge is a good thing, as is experience, but not everyone hears the same. Point is…Harvey smokes Camels, so is Camels the best or only Cigarette on the market for the money? I don’t know what he smoke’s, I am just making a statement! You don’t smoke them because he does…you smoke them because you like them. I hate smoking, so I don’t smoke! So now what? That is why companies have to bring many products to market that compete." ?

Back