Studio Monitor Basics?

lcuddy

First of all, I apologize if the following is addressed somewhere on here, but I could not find exactly what I was looking for by searching the forums.

Anyway, I've got some KRK studio monitors, and there is an audible hum. This seems to be a common problem, and some seem to have fixed it by getting balanced instead of unbalanced cables. I've ordered some balanced cables, since I was in fact using unbalanced. However, I've also heard that where you plug in each monitor matters. I had one plugged into one surge protector hooked to one outlet, and another hooked into another surge protector hooked to another outlet.

So my essential question is: is it likely that plugging both speakers into one surge protector only and getting balanced cables will eliminate the hum? Is this the normal way to do things with monitors? Is there anything else I should know about monitor basics?

'Hum' is not a KRK issue, unless your particular pair has a defect. Keep all audio cables away from AC power cables as much as possible. If they must cross, make sure they are at a 90 degree angle to each other (not sure this works, but I have heard it stated). Plug all audio gear into the same circuit. Balanced cables will just help with interference from other sources. One of them being the AC you are connected to. In most situations, monitor cables do not pick up noise in short distances, but it really depends on where you are, and what is around you.

Start with running everything from the same outlet. Power strips are ok. UPS units or power conditioners are better. If you cannot get rid of the 'hum' by any of these, I have had good luck with the Behri Hum Destroyer. I use it with a alternate monitoring setup on the opposite side of my control room. It is on a different electrical circuit.

The KRK instructions I got said that hum was a common problem, but maybe they say that in all monitor instructions. But thanks jimmy! That helps a lot. Once I get the balanced cables I will do as you suggest. I also ordered a power conditioner. I don't think I needed it as bad before, but I've added a lot of gear to my setup recently, so it's about time I fork over the money for a PC.

So my essential question is: is it likely that plugging both speakers into one surge protector only and getting balanced cables will eliminate the hum? Is this the normal way to do things with monitors? Is there anything else I should know about monitor basics?

Jim's advice is sound, as always, but I'm betting balanced cables alone will solve the problem.

To be unnecessarily pedantic, people aren't fixing a problem by using balanced cables; They're causing a problem by not using them.

Thanks Steenamaroo. That makes sense. So do you still think it's worth it to get a power conditioner anyway? Can't hurt, right?

I'm betting balanced cables alone will solve the problem.

Yes, that's almost always the correct solution.

As for power "conditioner" products, the cheap ones are useless (do nothing) and the expensive ones are rarely necessary. Unless one has obvious clicks and pops when the furnace etc kicks in, the AC power is not a problem.

--Ethan

Don't mean to hijack but could this discussion apply to speakers popping when first switched on?

For instance my Scarlett interface doesn't have a power switch and I leave my speaker power switches on. All of these are plugged into a surge protector. To conserve energy, I often keep the surge protector switched off. But when I switch it on there is many times an initial big pop on through the speakers.

I hate to switch speakers on last every time, but if it protects the speakers I will. Is there a workaround?

Edit: Forgot to mention I'm a newbie to this sort of thing if ya cant tell.

If you'rey sure the pop in never at a level that would hurt anything, probably no big deal. Then again 'amps last on, first off is the for Shure for Shure' when in doubt' way to go.

Don't mean to hijack but could this discussion apply to speakers popping when first switched on?

For instance my Scarlett interface doesn't have a power switch and I leave my speaker power switches on. All of these are plugged into a surge protector. To conserve energy, I often keep the surge protector switched off. But when I switch it on there is many times an initial big pop on through the speakers.

I hate to switch speakers on last every time, but if it protects the speakers I will. Is there a workaround?

Edit: Forgot to mention I'm a newbie to this sort of thing if ya cant tell.

I also have a scarlett interface. I turn my monitors off and on every time the pc turns on or reboots. I highly recommend doing this. When I do live sound engineering the same thing applies. Mixer on first, then the speakers. Speakers off first, then the mixing board. While once or twice shouldnt damage the speakers terribly, there is a reason it is common practice to turn things on and off in this order.

Rather safe than sorry.

I personally wince every time i forget to turn them off and they pop. Monitors are far too expensive to have a risk of something happening to them.

I always turn the volume down on amps/speakers when done, so the volume is off when I power back on. Otherwise you are going to get a pop.

Yes, that's almost always the correct solution.

As for power "conditioner" products, the cheap ones are useless (do nothing) and the expensive ones are rarely necessary. Unless one has obvious clicks and pops when the furnace etc kicks in, the AC power is not a problem.

Ethan, why would you say that cheap power conditioners are useless and expensive ones are rarely necessary? One article (can't list it since I haven't made 10 posts or more yet) argues that surge protectors are better labeled "surge diverters" and that they have many limitations next to power conditioners.

Is your point that power conditioners are useless in the sense that, with typical home recording setups, the additional features never come into play?

Ethan, why would you say that cheap power conditioners are useless and expensive ones are rarely necessary?

Cheap models don't do anything at all. They're just power strips with an MOV device that sort of might possibly help protect your gear in the case of lightning striking a nearby power pole. The key is "sort of might possibly" because a direct strike will fry the MOV and continue on to kill your gear anyway. I've owned audio (and computer) gear for more than 50 years, and I never once had a problem due to lack of using a "power protector."

The expensive models are also mostly useless, unless - as I said - you have obvious clicks or buzzing from dimmers. Now, maybe in some third-world locations power really isn't reliable or consistent. But in most of the civilized world the power is just fine. Further, a proper power line filter for clicks and buzz shouldn't cost more than $100, yet they typically cost five times that or even more. Especially products sold to the audiophile market. See this:

Hum and Buzz, Clicks and Pops

My main objection to "power" products generally is the claims I see for increased clarity, better imaging, stronger bass, etc. That is pure snake oil.

--Ethan

Cheap models don't do anything at all. They're just power strips with an MOV device that sort of might possibly help protect your gear in the case of lightning striking a nearby power pole. The key is "sort of might possibly" because a direct strike will fry the MOV and continue on to kill your gear anyway. I've owned audio (and computer) gear for more than 50 years, and I never once had a problem due to lack of using a "power protector."

The expensive models are also mostly useless, unless - as I said - you have obvious clicks or buzzing from dimmers. Now, maybe in some third-world locations power really isn't reliable or consistent. But in most of the civilized world the power is just fine. Further, a proper power line filter for clicks and buzz shouldn't cost more than $100, yet they typically cost five times that or even more. Especially products sold to the audiophile market. See this:

Hum and Buzz, Clicks and Pops

My main objection to "power" products generally is the claims I see for increased clarity, better imaging, stronger bass, etc. That is pure snake oil.

--Ethan

I remember back when motors relied on the cycle of the AC that and turntables would have boast of having conditioners to maintain a constant 50/60 hz (depending where you were in the world) to maintain consistency, I figured there could be some fluctuation there. I always wondered about power conditioners and couldn't figure out there real use. (Making my electricity better?)

I imagine the inherent wow of even a very good turntable exceeds the typical frequency variation of the 60 Hz power, but I admit I'm only guessing.

--Ethan

I imagine the inherent wow of even a very good turntable exceeds the typical frequency variation of the 60 Hz power, but I admit I'm only guessing.

--Ethan

It was a purest point for sure since the intent was to maintain the 333 1/3 RPM and the variation would "change" the sound. I had a Dual 721 turntable with calibration lights and the whole thing. It was a dual voltage from back in the 70's. I am not sure how much of a difference it really made.

I would bet on a ground loop. Plugging all your gear into the same power strip should help a great deal. If it doesn't, and the balanced connection doesn't either, then you'll have to start snipping shield wires on your new cables. Course, the OP never actually said that the monitors are connected to anything...

Back in May I played a show as part of a big local music festival. The owner of the bar was pretty much annoyed by the entire thing. He wanted to hang out and watch hockey with his friends, but these people kept interrupting to give him money for drinks! Anyway, he came along right at 1AM and told me we were done. Okay, we were about done anyway. I was signing off "goodnight, thanks for coming out" and I heard him say "No, now!" Then he flipped the breaker for the stage. Something like 3000W of power went BANG! The owner of the PA (provides sound for most of the festival) showed up yelling and screaming. He tested the speakers right there. One 15 and two of the 18s were dead.

There's a good reason for the last on, first off thing.

Yeah...

Yeah, I don't really know but I appreciate the info. On the other hand, there are many websites out there arguing for the usefulness of power conditioners and how superior they are to surge protectors (a previous contributor to this forum said that power conditioners are superior). I don't know, what you all say makes sense, but so does some of what the other folks say.

In any case, I've never had any problems with my surge protector, and since I got balanced cables, my monitors sound amazing.

what you all say makes sense, but so does some of what the other folks say.

The problem with most claims for "power" products is they never include credible evidence. What they say can sound logical to people who don't understand much about electronics, such as "noise riding on the power line gets into your audio gear and degrades the sound." But they never actually show the output of an audio device with and without a "power" product connected. Sometimes they show noise riding on the AC line before and after the "power" device. But that doesn't prove there will be an audible improvement, or even a measurable improvement, at the audio device's output.

--Ethan

Back