Storing microphones

elementary

Will it damage any of my microphones if I store them in close proximity to one another?

Some are condensers, some are dynamics. Obviously I would pad out the box, but I'm just wondering as there are all those magnets in there, would they damage each other?

I got one of those metal-oid DJ boxes with rounded corners intended for storing record albums for $30 at Guitar Center when it was on sale. I keep almost all of my mics in their pouches stuffed in this thing, and they all continue to work. I put a bunch of stickers on it to make it look cooler, too. But I'm kind of an idiot in this area.

no reason they cant be stored together... real concern is the humidity especially for condensors... so get out the silica gel...

I keep all mics in a big drawer in their pouches and have a silica gel packet in each pouch. No problems in 5 or 6 years.

Well...except when I whacked one with my drumstick...:rolleyes:

:D

One detail I forgot to mention -- not all the mics I have came with zipper pouches - I got some used with nothing, and others came in nice, but bulky, boxes.

I happen to live with two females of makeup wearing age (wife & daughter), and they're always getting these package deals that come with makeup pouches (of similar size and usually made of material similar to that of the mic pouches, but with more attractive colors :o) and so I snag the extra ones and use them for the mics. I've got two SM7bs packed snuggly in one larger clinique zipper pouch, for instance. This way, everything fits in that stupid LP box I mentioned earlier.

I happen to live with two females of makeup wearing age (wife & daughter)

i have three sisters and a mother at home, and 2 female roomates. i find that tons of left over female accessories work perfectly for our purposes. like make up pouches, stockings, scrunchies, etc etc.

not to mention if you are looking to start a glam band......

I have but one thought...a bit out there but maybe only a concern when storing mics for long periods of time. Consider avoiding metal to metal contact put them in their little pouches or a sock or even a plastic baggie. Dissimilar metals can cause corrosion. I know I'm gonna get a bashing but let me say this, I say it's a remote possibility...I said remote right? No worries with painted or coated materials but bare metal to metal when of dissimilar properties COULD leave you with a nasty little rust spot when stored for long periods of time.

I also like to keep silica in my storage containers to keep the moisture under control.

Ok...let the beating begin.:D

How close is close?

Hi,

From Phil's link.

-----

What might affect a magnet's strength?
The factors can affect a magnet's strength:

Heat
Radiation
Strong electrical currents in close proximity to the magnet
Other magnets in close proximity to the magnet
(Neo magnets will corrode in high humidity environments unless they have a protective coating.)

-----

So I'm wondering how close is close? I generally zip my dynamic mics up in a bag and throw them in a suitcase. No problems in 20 years but then would I notice?

The makeup zipper bags are a good idea above. We buy this stuff at yard sales all the time for a dime or a quarter. Not only are they cheap but they are color coded. Bank bangs are also good. You can also find makeup aluminum cases far cheaper than the photo/gig cases.

My preference for traveling cases for my mics and cables is Samsonite. The suitcases are hard shell and durable. $2 to $3 each. They come in a variety of sizes. And there's the security issue. After you pack your mics in Samsonite they don't look like somebody's pro equipment. They look like sombody's old suitcase.

A friend of my son would always carry his laptop in a diaper bag. They cost next to nothing compared to laptop cases and who wants to steal a diaper bag?

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Last edited:
Back