stereo to mono panner

gianelli280

Is there any way i can pan around in stereo, but have the output of the panner in mono? I use cubase and haven't been able to quite figure it out if it's possible at all, so is there a box of some kind that will allow me to run my stereo output in mono, but have the mono output be where the panner is "pointing"?

Not quite sure what you mean but you could collapse your stereo track to mono and then put a panning envelope on it and pan to your hearts content.

:rolleyes: nailed it.

is that a common maneuver or is it a waste of time. I want to be able to peek around the mix, say point the panner in the stereo field at 11:00 and just listen to 11:00 in mono. Does that make sense?

Not to me.
As others at HR will testify, I have an inordinately difficult time understanding mono. It's my bete noire.

is that a common maneuver or is it a waste of time. I want to be able to peek around the mix, say point the panner in the stereo field at 11:00 and just listen to 11:00 in mono. Does that make sense?
I record the vast majority of my tracks in mono and pan them where they go. For an awful lot of sources stereo is just a waste of a track. Why would you record a rhythm guitar in stereo for instance ....... or a vocal?
Occasionally I might record a keyboard part in stereo if there's a chorus or some aspect to the sound that requires it but otherwise single tracks for single parts is the way to go.

Yes, but why? What are you trying to achieve?

In a word, no. Mono is 1 channel sound. If you've got 2 speakers, the same sound is coming out of both. If you want sound 'at 11:00', then you have it panned to the left a little (about 30%) - this is stereo, the sound is NOT the same coming out of each speaker. You could have a mono source, then turn the balance or volume controls of the speakers (or amp, if there is one) to be louder on the left a little bit, but it would still be the same sound coming out of each speaker.

mike b i think you explained it in the words i couldn't find. I'm just looking for the ability to switch from stereo to mono (even though the same mono track would be coming out of the speakers) but have that mono track be a certain percentage of either right or left depending on where i were to "pan" to in that.

I'm thinking of a 2 channel crossfader, with a mono output. You'd have stereo in, use the crossfader to control the left and right levels, and the output would be your mono "direction".

Is that even useful or should i just get back to work?

Acts like a balance control does- as you go from center towards left left is attenuated right increases (or stays the same?), but the output is a mono sum?
Does this single output then follow the pan position or sit..?

mike b i think you explained it in the words i couldn't find. I'm just looking for the ability to switch from stereo to mono (even though the same mono track would be coming out of the speakers) but have that mono track be a certain percentage of either right or left depending on where i were to "pan" to in that.

I'm thinking of a 2 channel crossfader, with a mono output. You'd have stereo in, use the crossfader to control the left and right levels, and the output would be your mono "direction".

Is that even useful or should i just get back to work?
dude ..... a mono track panned to 11:00 IS stereo ...... it's the same signal coming out of both speakers but is louder in one than the other ..... THAT'S stereo.
You're trying to reinvent the wheel ....... basically every single stereo mixing board on the face of the Earth does that exact thing.

I think i'm causing confusion with the 2 speaker mono thing. I was thinking just a splitter for the 2 speakers, so same exact level, same exact sound coming out of both speakers... cause i'm too lazy to point my head at one speaker. Big Mono.

mixsit i'm not sure if the single output follows the panner or not, but you've got the idea right on. i don't think the output would need to follow the panner as it's already mono (like, a whole mix in mono)?

I think i'm causing confusion with the 2 speaker mono thing. I was thinking just a splitter for the 2 speakers, so same exact level, same exact sound coming out of both speakers... cause i'm too lazy to point my head at one speaker. Big Mono.

mixsit i'm not sure if the single output follows the panner or not, but you've got the idea right on. i don't think the output would need to follow the panner as it's already mono (like, a whole mix in mono)?
In that case all you've really done is a balance control then force it down to mono.

Then the sound is going to be coming at your from the center point between the 2 speakers, not 11:00.

Back