Stephen Paul Audio Mic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowisc

One of the nicest surprises at the show. Here's a pic.
spa-mic.jpg

did you get to try it out? probably not the best place to judge it, but im betting that its sweet.....way too much for what I do though...... :)

Yes! I'll be there tomorrow to check it out. It looks pretty sweet, lets hope it sounds that way too. And that they're giving them away for free :D

Is that the background I can actually see through the membrane, is it THAT thin? Or is that a reflection? I know its supposed to be a 1.5 micron, about3 microns thinner than other manufacturers can get on a reliable daily basis.
Wonder what its gonna cost now.

The talk was the $1500 neighborhood. I feel that ol' "where's my wallet" feeling coming over me.

It's a reflection.

The area where the symbols for patters are ligthts up in a different color. And each time you switch the pattern, it goes red momentarily while the circuit mutes.

There are two other LED's on the other side at the bottom.

As far as pricing, the original target for $1500 was if the mic was being manufactured overseas but since the requirements for almost zero tolerances calls for it to be made here in the U.S.A., I believe it will cost more. Expect the price to be more, but worth every penny considering the design is like no other and the level of perfection this mic achieves is really insane.

It's a reflection.

The area where the symbols for patters are ligthts up in a different color. And each time you switch the pattern, it goes red momentarily while the circuit mutes.

There are two other LED's on the other side at the bottom.

As far as pricing, the original target for $1500 was if the mic was being manufactured overseas but since the requirements for almost zero tolerances calls for it to be made here in the U.S.A., I believe it will cost more. Expect the price to be more, but worth every penny considering the design is like no other and the level of perfection this mic achieves is really insane.

When I dropped by it wasn't set up to listen to, so it may be a dummy. The polar switching led's were working though, so who knows. I also spoke to Alan without letting him know that I posted here (it was busy, plus I wanted to see how he would treat a "normal" customer). He's was incredibly gracious and took the time to go over all the PMI lines with me. I have to say - no matter what anyone says about him, Alan is a hell of a nice guy.

Last edited:
Is it a tube mic?

I dunno if the hype about the (small) diaphragm thickness is justified. I could imagine that a thinner capsule has a better reesponse, but one of the finest capsule ever built, the M7, has a 10-micron (PVC) or 6-micron (PE=Mylar) thickness, and I think nobody would doubt that this capsule sounds wonderful. Neumann/Gefell even states that "the ‘heavier’ PVC further credits the M7 with its distinct character", so thickness/thinness cannot be a prime criteria for mic designs. There's also some downsides to thin capsules, such as vocal pops and problems caused by humidity and deposits from the human voice on the membrane. Does the Stephen Paul mic sport a PE or PVC membrane? Maybe its a pure metal capsule? (in that case the thin 1.5-micron capsule wouldn't suprise me). I believe that the conductive layer on the diaphragm is a critical component as well, and different metals can have a different thickness there as well.

Any insights?

This is from an email I received several years ago - tells a little about the mic from the horse's mouth. It's FET, not tube.

The links are now defunct, as Stephen took down his forum shortly thereafter.

Date: 29 Sep 2002 19:51:42 -0000

From: Recording.org Interactive Pro Audio <webmaster@recording.org>
Subject:Stephen Paul Microphone New Release

News release!
http://www.recording.org/cgi-local/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000203

The Mike has been handed off gang! The original prototype still has a little work to go, a few machining jobs here and there....

BUT... I handed off the design this week! YAAAAYYYY!

I can tell you just a wee bit.

Grille: 304 Stainless Steel, Die Shaped No more bashed grilles, 'cos the drummer mistook the mike for his drumhead! And die shaped to kill standing waves. Not just some dumb screen wrapped in a circle 'round a cutout in a cylinder.

The FET:
A custom spec'd device I have made from custom dies. The other guys all spec a cheap shit FET and just trace'em for noise. I am using a FET that I love the SOUND of, and is so high end, that the noise spec doesn't NEED tracing!

Good Sound.

The Capsule Suspension:
A whole other ballgame from that stupid hard rubber non-isolating isolator that every one from Neumann to the Chinese use.

This will ensure you can whack your foot on the floor as you play that once in a lifetime guitar track, and no thumping gets into the mike, even without a four hundred dollar suspension, which doesn't help mechanically transmitted stand-borne vibrations in the least anyhow!

Custom Jensen Transformer:
Not just a transformer, but the best damn transformer in the fleet! And I don't mean the enema!

see the thread
http://www.recording.org/cgi-local/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000203

Go Stephen!!!!!!!
http://www.Recording.org
Created for musicians, by musicians

The mic IS NOT a dummy. It's in 100% working order. There's no "law" regarding what thickness is best for a capsule.

Hopefully, Alan will drop by here when he's home from AES and let us know how it sounds and what its immediate future plans are (got a shipping date yet?)

That is, if the spam police let him. :)

Giganova said:
I dunno if the hype about the (small) diaphragm thickness is justified. I could imagine that a thinner capsule has a better reesponse,

Hype? What hype? On the other hand, I think there should be a hype--"How is it humanly possible to make the diaphragm that thin??!!"
Make a search on Klaus forum. Tony Merill and Brent Casey have already answered many of your questions.

Giganova said:
but one of the finest capsule ever built, the M7, has a 10-micron (PVC) or 6-micron (PE=Mylar) thickness, and I think nobody would doubt that this capsule sounds wonderful. Neumann/Gefell even states that "the ‘heavier’ PVC further credits the M7 with its distinct character", so thickness/thinness cannot be a prime criteria for mic designs.

????
There is a thin crust pizza, there is a deep crust...
No doubt, M7 is one of the finest capsule ever built, and indeed sounds very good... in many applications. But it is not the only one, either. There are others, which are as wonderful, but... different.
The PVC film is 10um, because due to physical properties of the material, as well as its technology, it cannot be thinner. Besides, PVC has different compliance than PET films. Besides, it has completely different backchamber and phase shift network construction. All these contribute into its sound. I just don't understand why is it "the ‘heavier’ PVC further credits ". It is what it is, and I think nobody expects SP mic to sound like U47 with M7? Not every capsule in the world should be as M7. But it can be as wonderful, just different.

BTW, I am surprised that people are so busy to figure out whether it is a dummy mic, or a "real one", that nobody even paid attention to grill construction?

In a meanwhile, I am impatiently awaiting for a chance to try this mic myself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back