Staticy, Crackily sounds, not the typical though ( I think )

Mindcore

Hey guys,

Having some issues, and not sure what I should look at next.

Running Sonar 3PE on a decently fast AMD system. Using an M-Audio 24/96 PCI

Running one update before latest, as the newest one just would not work.

I've been recording for months, no issues whatsoever. now, all of a sudden I recorded some keyboards thru my DMP-3, non digital
When I play back my recording I hear high pitched crackling, its very hard on the ears. It doesn't record it to the track, just on playback, and if I start, stop, it will be in differant spots, or not at all, or just unbearable. ( Not sure if that is typical of the cracks and pops I always read about, never had an issue before to relate )

I defraged my HDD, nothing, keeping in mind its a couple tracks, CPU 1% HDD 1%

I changed to 44.1k 16 bit, down from 24 bit, no differance, changed my buffer from 128 to 256 no differance.

I closed sonar, reopened, and recorded 2 tracks, sounded fine, copied them into a previously saved clicky file, soloed it, its clicky crackily, went back to the original, clicky crackily.

Any suggestions? should I perhaps scrap all my cables?

it's ruined some really great ( IMO ) inspired tracks that are (seem) to be unsuable.

Sorry for the length, I didn't want anyone saying I didn't give enough info
:D

Mike

I don't know if this is the case, but if you have at some stage had the S/PDIF settings of your software set to 'slave' and haven't changed it back, or have an S/PDIF device connected, powered up and also set to master but not in use during playback it might make things splutter and pop a bit.

Dags

I've been having similar problems with my playback. It's not just my recording; it's everything my computer plays: recordings, I-tunes, etc.

I'm blaming the weather. I don't think my computer likes the cold.

hmm too hot, I'm pegging -3 nothing more. I feel dumb now, but for the greater good, it seems that it started after I ran the keys through a seperate preamp as opposed to my mixer like I normally do. Perhaps a combination of these things are giving me the trouble. Another test tonight and we'll see.

As for cold, it does get pretty cold in my "Studio" when I'm not in it, but then again I blame the cold for everything

Back