Splitting a humbucker

Is there any way to split a one-wire humbucker into a single coil? :confused:

I assume you are talking the braided single strand type of conductor? Not very easily as it requires taking the pickup apart and isolating the hookup wires from each coil and putting either a tap wire or 4 conductor on it. You could be best off getting a replacement 4 conductor humbucker and swapping it out. You can always put the old one back if you want to revert...

I assume you are talking the braided single strand type of conductor? Not very easily as it requires taking the pickup apart and isolating the hookup wires from each coil and putting either a tap wire or 4 conductor on it. You could be best off getting a replacement 4 conductor humbucker and swapping it out. You can always put the old one back if you want to revert...

Right, that's what I thought, but just wanted to be sure. Thanks mutt. I was hoping you'd chime in soon.

I have this old Epi no-name humbucker laying around that I wanted to try to see if I can split, but it is a one-wire. It's not that big a deal. I'm about to buy a SD P-Rail anyway.

The P-rail is an interesting idea. I haven't used one my self but I have fitted a few. I'd like a chance to have one on one of my guits to audition it properly. I'd be interested on your take once you've played with it for a bit..

The P-rail is an interesting idea. I haven't used one my self but I have fitted a few. I'd like a chance to have one on one of my guits to audition it properly. I'd be interested on your take once you've played with it for a bit..

Lt Bob has a set in one of his guitars.

I just want one in the bridge. I'll put it in my Hallmark Mosrite clone. I like the idea of a P-90, Strat single, and humbucker all in one. The reviews are good.

I'll be posting up when I get it because I'm sure I'll have wiring questions. :facepalm:

I didn't know Lt had one set up with a P-Rail... Mind you he probably has more guitars kicking about than I do.:o

You out there Lt, I'd like your take on em...? Especially if it's on the neck and played clean.

Well I just ordered one. Black, bridge. I need to get a 3-way DPT-something switch, whatever the fuck that is.

Well I just ordered one. Black, bridge. I need to get a 3-way DPT-something switch, whatever the fuck that is.

DPDT Switch is a three way switch. I am assuming you want an on/on/on switch. Some have on/off/on options. What switch have you been recommended and what are you trying to achieve? I hope you are not about to hack into that Mosrite.....

DPDT Switch is a three way switch. I am assuming you want an on/on/on switch. Some have on/off/on options. What switch have you been recommended and what are you trying to achieve? I hope you are not about to hack into that Mosrite.....

No no no I'm not hacking anything. Lol. The P-Rails is a humbucker sized pickup, and the Hallmark's single coils are bigger than typical humbuckers, so there's plenty of room. I'll actually have to spread the tabs on the P-Rails to fit the Hallmark's pickup ring. I test fit the Epi HB I mentioned earlier and it had to be spread a little. I'm gonna see if I can get another pickguard from Hallmark so I don't drill up the original.

I just want the pickup to operate as it's supposed to:
Single rail
P-90
Humbucker

Currently the guitar has a bridge and neck pickup, one vol, one tone, and a 3-way p/u switch. I want to add the P-Rail in the bridge and be able to select it's 3 options.

OK, so just so I can get a handle on what you are attempting, how are you going to switch the options on the new P-Rail? You will need some thing other than the current p/up selector obviously.... Forgive me for talking over the mechanics as I'm still not clear on it. I can picture what you have but not where you want to be.....?

OK, so just so I can get a handle on what you are attempting, how are you going to switch the options on the new P-Rail? You will need some thing other than the current p/up selector obviously.... Forgive me for talking over the mechanics as I'm still not clear on it. I can picture what you have but not where you want to be.....?

I'll add another switch. The pickup selector switch will still select between bridge and neck like normal. The second switch will toggle through the P-Rail options.

I think this is the diagram.
Wiring Diagram

Right, Yeh it's a dpdt switch you need because you are switching between three "on" options for that pickup. Where are you going to mount the switch?

Right, Yeh it's a dpdt switch you need because you are switching between three "on" options for that pickup. Where are you going to mount the switch?

Not sure yet. Probably near the input jack or between the vol and tone knobs.

Seymor Duncan also makes a pickup ring called a "triple-shot". I think that's what it's called. It has switches mounted in the ring itself so you don't need to add any toggles or push-pulls. There's like a little PCB on the pickup ring itself. You wire the pickup to the ring, and then the ring to your knobs, selector switch, etc. Pretty cool. But the Hallmark/Mosrite pickup size and pickup ring is huge and goofy and I don't think the triple-shot would fit.

just to chime in, I think you are wise to install just one spit-able pup. I own a Westone Thunder 1A, it has THREE mini switches for active on/off, HB split and HB tap. Frankly, with the three switches, three knobs and three-way switch, it is too many options- I get lost in all the options and worry I will find a great tone one day but not remember how I got it and thus never be able to re-create it. Had the guitar for 15 years and I STILL don't feel totally comfy with all the choices.

I forgot about this thread....thanks to Stevie for bumping it.

Mutt, the P-Rails is badass. I got it in my Hallmark Mosrite clone and its' really everything it's advertised to be. The P-90 setting is chunky but clear, the humbucker setting is thick and meaty, the Rails setting is chimy and articulate, albeit with a slight drop-off in output. I'm very happy with it in this guitar. Try one out if you get a chance.

Dirty tones here:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/equip...asses/new-tone-thread-340185/199/#post4139018

Cleaner-ish tones here:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/equip...asses/new-tone-thread-340185/199/#post4139039

I didn't know Lt had one set up with a P-Rail... Mind you he probably has more guitars kicking about than I do.:o

You out there Lt, I'd like your take on em...? Especially if it's on the neck and played clean.
I use my neck p-rail for that very thing and I leave it in the P-90 mode ..... I like 'em quite a bit.
I have them in my Stinnett ..... my tendency is to leave the neck in P-90 and the bridge in humbucker although I do use all the different modes for various things. It kinda like having some subtle volume/tone controls where if the bridge is a bit too bucker-sounding you can add a little 'spank' to it by dropping into P-90 without changing anything else.

Nice p'ups IMO and having Greg like it as much as he does kinda confirms it to me.

Cheers guys,

I shall check out the soundclips tomorrow. I've been at an orbital sander all day and my ears are not what they should be, even with protectors...

Lt, thats exactly what I was looking for. I shall try and blag one to audition in the next few weeks. One of the few perks of doing work for a lot of guitar stores..:listeningmusic:

Cheers guys,

I shall check out the soundclips tomorrow. I've been at an orbital sander all day and my ears are not what they should be, even with protectors...

Lt, thats exactly what I was looking for. I shall try and blag one to audition in the next few weeks. One of the few perks of doing work for a lot of guitar stores..:listeningmusic:
I'll be interested in your reaction to them.

Back