spdif out on dvd player

Thanks for the help. I am using a proper 75ohm spdif cable. I tried both raw and pcm output on the apex (the only 2 options) but neither made a difference). I guess I got a bum unit. It's really noisy when it spins the disc as well. It's pretty crazy that SACD can't go over spdif. Maybe the next generation of players will handle it and by then I can afford a proper playback system for it :)

My understanding is that Sony is trying to "protect" the data, and think that a digital streem out would enable me to "pirate" their cd's... so sad...

well, try exchanging the unit for a new one, that would probably be your best option at this point.

Best of luck!

mikedaul said:
But would you say that everyone uses the cdrom in their computer for the best reference playback of audio cd's through their monitor setup?

That's EXACTLY what I am saying.

I don't use a DAW and I listen to CDs on the Masterlink. When I was in your situation I just switched the preferred soundcard over when I wanted to listen to CDs or I would rip the CD to .wav using free software and play it back through the DAW software.

I would trust the quality from a CDROM to Layla over the quality of the SPDIF output on a <$500 CD player to Layla.

Back