Soundcraft Spirit Folio SX Hum issue

I've been having this intermittent issue with hum in my Soundcraft Spirit Folio SX. A few years ago I had the smaller Soundcraft Spirit Folio 12/2 which developed the same issue. Power supply caps close to voltage regulators that get hot. Easy fix if you're handy with soldering.20220802_121328.jpg

Yes, that is poor design but then peeps DO want 'Compact and Beeejew'!
I would be inclined to fit 105C caps if they will fit and a heat shield. Could be Aluminium if made carefully but a piece of fibreglass board would help.

Dave.

The ones I got were actually 105C.
The original caps were 1000µF 25V, and the rails were at 23,5V. If I've been clever, I would have gotten 35V caps, which would have fit well. I was thinking that maybe it's beacuse line voltage has been increased from 220V since these mixers were made.

The ones I got were actually 105C.
The original caps were 1000µF 25V, and the rails were at 23,5V. If I've been clever, I would have gotten 35V caps, which would have fit well. I was thinking that maybe it's beacuse line voltage has been increased from 220V since these mixers were made.
I doubt that was the problem. So long as they were good quality caps they would be fine at even a few volts OVER 25V. So long as you don't go nuts caps 're-form' to a higher voltage.

Dave.

Back