sound output setup...

herbycanopy

Aloha, I am trying to set up cubase on a friends laptop but am having problems. The computer sound works just fine but the playback in the program is not. I installed Asio4all and that is setup in the device options for cubase. I am sure that there is something small I just do not know about since I have never used this program. Also they have Windows 7 x64.

Last edited:
Sorry it took so long but the computer was not at my house. I checked and the output is set to the ASIO4All then the left and right channel. I also setup a mono output but still there is no sound. I tried setting up the output to the realtech audio card but no such luck.

Are you trying to listen to something that's already recorded? Or are you trying to hear your input that you want to record?

Are the outputs of those tracks set right?

Is the monitor button turned off? (the little round button on each track with a speaker)

The output is set to sterio out and my monitor button is not lit.

Here you can see what this laptop is...
k3kdwl.jpg

Here you can see that my outputs are set and if you look to the left you will see that there is a good sound level and the monitor is off, yet no sound.
2cd8o2.jpg

Yeah, there's your problem, you've got the SPDIF connection set as your output. If you click on those is there one that says speakers or something similar? If so select that and your problem should be solved.

Unless of course you're tryingto use the digital out of your laptop.

The only options are...
No connections
Realtech HDA SPDIF Out 1
Realtech HDA SPDIF Out 2

So the question is why is cubase only recognizing my SPDIF and not my speakers? I know that you do not want to use this laptop for recording music but they are wanting it to record/edit class lectures.

Yeah, that is strange. I've never used asio4all, is there a config program or something. What about an advanced settings button in the cubase device setup window, the one where you select the asio driver.

I don't think midi would have any effect on your problem. I'm thinking this has to be an issue between asio4all not finding all the inns and outs on your sound card.

I did not think midi would have anything to do this but googling "MS GS wavetable Synth" kept pulling up things about midi drivers...

Any idea as to what other drivers other then ASIO I could use there are not any other drivers to pick from. Quality is not really any concern.

You should already have one called "ASIO Direct X Full Duplex" or something like that. The latency will be huge but that may not be a problem considering what your using it for.

You also need the realtek speakers selected in windows, you may SPIDF selected which will give no sound. Go to "sound" in control panel.

Thanks for the help people the problem is finding a sound driver that works with the on-board sound card, there just are not any that are working right. I installed auducity and in 3 minutes tough them all they need to know to use that program.

Back