Songs From The Cover Band I'm In.

Panama, yeah a few snags....if i wasnt listening for it, probably wouldnt have caught it.....the guitar parts arent as smooth as Eddie, but who is?....

needs bg vocals.....

what 3 mics are you using on drums....(2 603's and a 57?)

Bon Jovi - pretty ok minus the talkbox......the backgrounds are no Richie Sambora, but good enuff :)

should do Wanted Dead or Alive, thats friggin classic....

Gidge said:
Panama, yeah a few snags....if i wasnt listening for it, probably wouldnt have caught it.....the guitar parts arent as smooth as Eddie, but who is?....

needs bg vocals.....

what 3 mics are you using on drums....(2 603's and a 57?)

Thanks for listening..... Apex 125 (Made by Yorkville) Bass Drum Mic...

57 on snare, and a 4033 mono for OH...

Too lazy to set up both 603's..:D

We're Not Gonna Take It - great anthem.....this one will get them going......

Dee Snider is my hero......

man...I had to go straight to the van halen....being a vh addict. I must say it has the feel to it. After a couple months of playing it, it'll smooth out to natural. Actually, the problem is the gtr is waaay too quiet for a VH tune. Joe...the drums are great!

gotta listen to more... I like these

Mix...

Thanks for listening..

When you say the guitar is too quiet for the VH tune, do you mean my mixing, or do you mean that I should ask the guitar player to add more overdrive, or distortion and make it bigger

I think you have a good point, so I want to narrow it down so I can fix it..

Thanks.

Joe

I personally think the gtr tone is pretty decent....considering you probably don't have a stage full of vintage Marshalls. I'd turn up the volume in the mix. I hear the bass just about right, but the drums are the dominate volumes now!! (wonder why!! ha!) With the gtr inched up a bit, it should sound pretty good. These are some great covers.

Were not gonna take it - I love Twisted.. (especially the earlier stuff) I met Dee Snider a few times.. He used to frequent a Pancake house near me.. Pretty cool version.. I like these live recordings.. You guys need some backup vocals.. guitar is a bit low compared to the other instruments..

Panama - nice drum sound.. it's a decent version, but the guitarist fell behind in the very beginning.. nice drums.. guitars too low..

really good live recordings.. I guess your doing the mixing judging by the drum mix.. :)

B.SABBATH said:
I guess your doing the mixing judging by the drum mix.. :)

Hehe..

I think the drums are louder, cause I am a drummer and it's some weird subconcious thing...:D

They were really loud before, then I brought the rest of the stuff up, but I totally agree the guitars need to come up even more..

Thanks for listening Bro.

Joe

ROCK ON!!

My God - and you're just "practicing"?

Man, hit that stage - and make damn sure the guy running the lights knows what he's doing. We'll be reading about it in the paper...

:D :cool:

VOXVENDOR said:
Hehe..

I think the drums are louder, cause I am a drummer...

hehehe.. It's good to be King...LMAO! Vox, I downloaded all of 'em and I'm rocking out as we speak.. er.. as we type.. er... as I type.. er... you know what I mean. Good stuff buddy! Like Lots!!:D :D :D :D

Listened through Hungry like the Wolf and Panama.
In terms of recording; drums are outstanding. The kit sounds well tuned and the balance is spot on. I like the bell ride work around 2.25 on Panama. The vocals are possibly a little distant for rock I'm not totally sure why I guess I'd compress them a bit to give them more presence but I'm no expert.
Playing wise, I think Hungry like the wolf misses that cheezy synth argegio. Also the original had that 80s chorusy overdrive sound (like DI through a Chorus and heavy metal pedal). The guitar sound used here changes the character, I guess it depends on what you are trying to achieve.
On a few occasions there is a percievable dragging mostly in and out of fills
1.28, 2.30, 2.39, 250, 3.25
These are all small points however. If you were playing in my town I'd pay to come listen.

you know...one thing I'll add to your favour (<---canadian spelling..eh?;) ) is that in a live situation, all these nitpicks everyone is bringing up, is lost forever. The first impressions are good and that NO, you are NOT Van Halen, but doing a pretty respectible cover of the song. In other words, we can sit here and critique the recording, with the luxury of listening to it on good speakers and even again and again. In a live situation, I'm watching the show, drinking beers, looking at ....OO ,,,and would be generally getting off on the music as much as all the tits that would be bobbing on the dance floor.

Playing live..you can even make mistakes sound "on purpose"...if you know what I mean... like play it again!

It's just the look when the WHOLE band turns around and looks at the ___ player and gives 'em dirty looks, that we as the audience get a clue as to what just happened.

Yeah, great points all around.....

Sort of like , I went and saw Collective Soul in Toronto, and I Swear it was the best concert I have ever seen.. I mean they are awesome musicans and sounded just like the CD....

But that was my impression when I was watching the show.. Recently I downloaded some bootlegs from CS live, and they are really good, but not as tight as I thought they sounded when I was there... I can hear the singer is a bit off and some guitar and drum fuck ups..

I totally agree the whole visual experience of the live show and all the distractions that come with it (OO) :D seem to mask the little fuck ups.....

But either way, we want to strive to be the best we can be.... this thread and all the insight is a good help.

Joe

Have only had a chance to hear "Limelight" - excellent job. As others have said, the drums sound really terrific. Makes me want to take a hammer to my Alesis drum machine!!

I went back and listened to 'Talk' and Duran.. (I actually own a D.D. cd):o

fun listen.. I think your the best one in that band.. There were some minor things here and there that my buddys and I would point out if we saw you guys live, but I doubt the average bar hound will care.. :)

I say again, these are some great live recordings..

Back