Song - Kicking out the days

mcmac74

Evening

First outing in over a year for me due to a hand injury. This is a song i'd been working on before the injury...I'd kind of abandoned it ages ago but then thought it might be a useful way to get used to recording again...so it got a new vocal melody and lyric and is right here...

It's not mastered yet, just wanted to see what folk made of the mix before taking it further.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks for the listen...you're right, I'll have a look at the eq on the bass and ease off the booming note a little.

Do you mean the picked bits or strummed rhythm part?

Cheers
Mark
More the picked parts. They, to me, seem a tad overwhelmed by the drums and other parts. Please note that's just how I hear it. Doesn't mean I'm right.

Thanks for the kind words and feedback...all helps and I'll hopefully get a mastered version up in next few days. 👍

I just gave it a listen on my laptop speakers, so I can't really comment on the mix, but I like the song. It's got a nice vibe to it, and it's something I definitely would listen to.

Waiting for the final version.....

This is nice. Very mellow. Easy to listen to.

The only nit I have is the instrumental part that starts around 2:00. It's missing something. Like a lead instrument. I "think" there's a picked guitar in there that if it were louder might fill it in, but it's way too buried. Either bring that up, or put some type of lead there. It just sounds like a bed as it is.

Nice work overall.

This is nice. Very mellow. Easy to listen to.

The only nit I have is the instrumental part that starts around 2:00. It's missing something. Like a lead instrument. I "think" there's a picked guitar in there that if it were louder might fill it in, but it's way too buried. Either bring that up, or put some type of lead there. It just sounds like a bed as it is.

Nice work overall.
You're spot on there and there was actually a vocal over the latter part of the section which i dropped as it didn't fit.....I've brought the guitar up along with a synth part to try and keep it interesting enough.

I thought all the comments were really helpful and have incorporated most of the advice in the latest mix...Vox are up higher with a little less verb to make them more present, the strummed and picked guitars are both higher with a bit of chorus to flavour except when they're competing with the vocal. . I pulled the eq on the bass right down so it's hopefully no longer booming. Funny the things you stop noticing when you've listened back to the song 100 times.

Cheers, Mark

Hi, amongst changes made, I'm keen to know if I've taken vocal too high in the latest mix posted?

Thanks, Mark

Nice mix, very relaxing.
The only thing that bugs me is some part of the drums that does almost constantly play in sixteenth (or some fast pace). This creates some nervous feeling and contradicts the overall calm mood of the song.

Nice mix, very relaxing.
The only thing that bugs me is some part of the drums that does almost constantly play in sixteenth (or some fast pace). This creates some nervous feeling and contradicts the overall calm mood of the song.
I get what you're saying and may play around with the beats a bit...pleased nothing stuck out as bad on the mix though. Cheers for the listen

Don't lose that first mix! Something of the subtle ambience has been lost in the remix - as others have said, people have different tastes and expectations, no harm in putting two versions out!

Back