song coming through bass track.

ScruffMcduff

Okay so i realize that i probably should not have the monitors up that load when recording Direct in bass because I can hear the song come through and it is causing problems with my mix. I'm having some crackling and other issues. I have Izotope RX2 and i'm wondering if there is anyway of getting rid of the background song withough ruining the bass track, or without having to re record. any suggestions I need help.

Removing the song could be a problem, but crackling should be dealable (of course to some point).
I guess it's best to re-record...

Okay so i realize that i probably should not have the monitors up that load when recording Direct in bass because I can hear the song come through and it is causing problems with my mix. I'm having some crackling and other issues. I have Izotope RX2 and i'm wondering if there is anyway of getting rid of the background song withough ruining the bass track, or without having to re record. any suggestions I need help.
What exactly has happened ? Has the entire song somehow bled onto the bass track ? Even if some kind of removal solution existed, it would be quicker just to re~record the bass part again.

:facepalm:
Am i missing something?
How did the song get in the recording if your recording the bass DI? :D

:facepalm:
Am i missing something?
How did the song get in the recording if your recording the bass DI? :D
That was exactly my first thought ! I have had it happen when recording with tape and also when what was on the tape before hadn't fully erased and you could hear faint bleed on one of the tracks. But never DI on a DAW.

I have heard this once.
In my opinion it is completely possible because sound waves move the strings and pickups pick the moving up. The sound however has to be pretty loud.

Hell, I have to try and verify that when I get home tonight :D

I had this once when we were recording the bass in the control room, the guys bass had old pickups that had gone microphonic and was picking sound up like a microphone, what a pain. The bass track had a guide on it in the background that was not going to be used. I did manage to EQ it out so it could not be heard but it did restrict the bass tone that I wanted. We could not redo as the bass player was not available.

You can test for microphonic pick ups by giving them a tap, if it is a dull thud you are OK if it sound metallic and loud, isolate the bass in another room. You can also test by hitting record and shouting into the pick up to see how much you can hear.

Alan.

Back