Sonar X1 vs Sonar 8.5

GeoffryMcDonald

My studio is looking into purchasing Sonar to add to our line-up of DAWs. We originally assumed that Sonar X1 would be the best choice, however after seeing many reviews of people who claim that it has many bugs, we have begun to second guess whether we should go with X1 or 8.5, so I figured I might as well ask you guys before we choose.

Should we go with Sonar X1 or are the bugs too much of an issue?

I've been using X1 since its release and have not encountered any show-stopping bugs.
From what I've seen, most of the loudest complainers have system specific issues and not global bugs that affect all users.

Not saying they aren't experiencing issues that are important to them, I'm just pointing out that a lot of folks, myself included, are using X1 daily and loving it. :)

Yeah I will say that I have seen plenty of complaints on X1, too. I will admit that with my recent addition PC running X1 under 64 bit is not rock solid on my system when calling up plug ins, it tends to not load, still. However the 32 bit version runs great.

There are a lot of things I like about the less cluttered layout of the program, then the 8.53 version, it was to busy with to many radio buttons. Another feature I like is the console in this program, somehow I find my self using it all the time. The much touted skylight is cool feature that works well for my workflow. When ever the demo is launched, that would help, the upgrade was not that steep in$$

X1 under 32 bit works fine but make sure you have a good computer with lots of CPU and RAM power. I prefer the older Sonar layout but a company has to make money, regradless if the GUI is really clunky on X1.

X1 under 32 bit works fine but make sure you have a good computer with lots of CPU and RAM power. I prefer the older Sonar layout but a company has to make money, regradless if the GUI is really clunky on X1.

Think an Intel quad core running OCed at 3.6 ghz with hyper threading and 12 gb of ddr3 ram is enough? ;)

My studio is looking into purchasing Sonar to add to our line-up of DAWs. We originally assumed that Sonar X1 would be the best choice, however after seeing many reviews of people who claim that it has many bugs, we have begun to second guess whether we should go with X1 or 8.5, so I figured I might as well ask you guys before we choose.

Should we go with Sonar X1 or are the bugs too much of an issue?

What bugs??? I am using Sonar X1 PE and it works great.

This is a no-brainer. I would'nt even consider NOT buying SONAR X1. When you do it will be your favorite application all areas.
Forget about Nuendo/Cubase/Logic/DP etc etc...

So what does X1 do that 8.5PE doesn't?

Besides the new GUI. I'm still on XP Pro so 64-bit is out.

I see CW is offering the upgrade to X1 for 20% off this weekend. Is it worth $80 to get the upgrade?

Last edited:
Decided to go without food next week to finance X1 upgrade. Downloading it now.

Already having problems with the Dim Pro update. I have 1.2 installed and it's been working great. The install notes say not to re-install but to use the updater from a link they provide. Tried that, and the DP1.5dll installed in the VST folder, but when I tried to install the "extra content" I got an error saying DP1.5 wasn't installed so it aborted that portion of the install.

Had problems originally installing DP on my system from DVD's and was eventually sent a link to download the entire thing due to missing samples that wouldn't load off disk. I thought CW's support on that was pretty crappy at the time, they led me around in circles before finally sending me the links I needed to get the stuff I had already paid for.

This is like deja vu all over again.

I'm downloading the entire file again right now and am gonna open X1 and see what the hell is going on in there.

Already having problems with the Dim Pro update. I have 1.2 installed and it's been working great. The install notes say not to re-install but to use the updater from a link they provide. Tried that, and the DP1.5dll installed in the VST folder, but when I tried to install the "extra content" I got an error saying DP1.5 wasn't installed so it aborted that portion of the install.

Had problems originally installing DP on my system from DVD's and was eventually sent a link to download the entire thing due to missing samples that wouldn't load off disk. I thought CW's support on that was pretty crappy at the time, they led me around in circles before finally sending me the links I needed to get the stuff I had already paid for.

This is like deja vu all over again.

I'm downloading the entire file again right now and am gonna open X1 and see what the hell is going on in there.

What, they did not give you a fresh version? :confused:

I know my 8.5 required my ver 8 to be installed, but I could do a clean install of my X1.

I hope you got the PE version, the Pro Chan is what really makes it worth the upgrade.

CW sent me an email that walked me through the DP update and it's working great now.

Yeah, went with PE.

Don't buy 8.5 go right to X1.

The reason. There is a big difference in how you work in the 2 programs. Different short cut keys, different tools, different layouts etc.

I imagine any future versions of Sonar will build on X1. So if you take the time and learn 8.5 someday when you upgrade to a newer version you'll essentially be relearning the program. Save yourself time and go to X1. You'll have all the new tools and get used to them.

The bugs aren't too bad. The main problem I've had is with freezing synths and bouncing clips. If I close the control bar I have no problems at all.

I was one of those early adopters of X1 PE who paid a heavy price with issues, including the Dimensions problem mentioned by 'c7sus'. I've been using Sonar and its predecessors for around 15 years and X1 was an unexpected nightmare which cost me many days of work. However, since the massive X1b patch I can report it's been very good, though the new interface is a major learning curve.

Re Dimensions, the issue is that if you have used it as a DirectX plugin in earlier versions these files won't work on 1.5 as this is VST only (1.2 supported DirectX and VST). The solution is basically to leave Dimensions at 1.2 and not open Sonar 8.5 files with X1 if they use Dimensions at all, i.e. start new projects on X1 but leave 8.5 installed for old projects. If you disable the Dimensions DirectX option on X1 then all your newer files will work with 1.5 at some point in the future when you upgrade from 1.2. Not simple but this has worked fine for us.

I hope this helps.
Best wishes,

Cakewalk are releasing patch 1c for Sonar X1 in the next few weeks. This should kill off any remaining small issues that weren't covered in 1b (which was a massive update). Personally I'll never upgrade to new software again until it's at least six months old but it's working well now in any case.

Regards,

Back