dB levels of tracks in Sonar 8

NikiDa

Hello, a newbie in music production here,
I am getting my compositions ready for mixing and mastering. Apparently, for mixing I should have each one of my tracks at about -6dB. However, when I look at my tracks- the oboe, the clarinet, the strings, the piano- those tracks do not show the volume in dB. Instead I have a volume line which goes all the way up to a hundred and twenty something, I think.

You see, I have rooted all my instruments to Cakewalk TTS1-1 and I see the dB of that. But I understand that this is showing the volume of all the instruments together.

I can also see the dB of my audio- no problem. And I see the dB of my Master.

I've been trying to figure this out for the past two days and since not many people use Sonar 8- I've had no luck finding an answer.

At one point I thought perhaps I need to root each instrument to its own synth. In that way, I will see its wave form and the dB. What do you think?

Also,
in one of the Manuals for Sonar 8, we read
In SONAR, decibels are used in several places:
To indicate volume levels of audio tracks in the Track view, Track Inspector and Console view
To indicate the effects of filters and equalizers

Any ideas on how I can see the dB of my individual tracks?

I don't use Sonar 8. Looks like the faders for MIDI tracks go up to 100, which I assume is referencing a percentage of volume. Then there is a small window below which displays the instrument MIDI velocity going up to 127 - I'm also assuming that.

If there's no way to change the fader display, you'd have to convert the MIDI tracks to audio tracks, which should then display fader increments in dBs - I would think.

You would want to have all your editing on those tracks fixed before doing this so all you'd be concerned with was their dB levels in the final mix.

Now if someone offers a way to just flip the tracks between Percentage and dBs, you can forget all the above :D

Back