Sonar and UAD1 fans

Middleman

Professional Amateur
UAD-1 just released a new version of their software 3.8 which includes demos of the new mastering EQ. Free download to registered users.

Cakewalk released a new patch 4.02. Fixes some of the VST issues. They also announced the 64 bit version of Sonar which is a beta, free to registered users but requires 64 bit hardware and Windows 64 bit-beta , also free at Microsoft's site. If you are into experimenting, have at it.

Thanks!I just got mine awhile back and could'nt be happier.
I looking forward to that Roland Space Echo plug too! :cool:

Whoho! The 64-bit updates sounds good. My AMD64 is arriving next week.... Sweet! :D

I was talking to someone at another site who has made the jump to 64bit Sonar. He said the performance gains were off the charts. Looks like its new Motherboard time.

moskus said:
Whoho! The 64-bit updates sounds good. My AMD64 is arriving next week.... Sweet! :D

My,oh,my...that 64-bit spec sounds amazing.
If I were to build a rig right now it would have to be setup in that fashion.

About how many gigs of Ram would you start out with?

Am I incorrect in thinking that this just makes the hard drive into a file cabinet?

Universal Audio is a bunch of bastards,coming out with all those new plugs and incentives to buy more cards,rrrrrrrrrrr. :mad: :rolleyes:

acidrock said:
Universal Audio is a bunch of bastards,coming out with all those new plugs and incentives to buy more cards,rrrrrrrrrrr. :mad: :rolleyes:
Those bastards! Oh well... us musicians are doomed to be broke.

I was at NAMM this week and got to hear the new Roland plug ins that will soon be released for the UAD1. They are pretty cool and probably the best chorus effects sounds I have heard in the box. The Echo is still being worked on and was not ready for the show.

Middleman said:
I was talking to someone at another site who has made the jump to 64bit Sonar. He said the performance gains were off the charts. Looks like its new Motherboard time.

What soundcard has 64 bit audio drivers and what plug-ins work in 64 bit environment for him to measure the performance?

From the Cakewalk FAQ

SONAR x64 FAQ

What is the SONAR x64 Technology Preview?

The SONAR x64 Technology Preview is a fully native 64-bit version of SONAR 4 Producer Edition, the definitive audio production environment on the Windows platform. SONAR x64 includes the entire application, along with a collection of additional DirectX effects, synths and samplers to spotlight the advantages of music production in a 64-bit processing environment.

How will SONAR users benefit from 64-bit technology?

SONAR x64 allows access to 1 terabyte (1024 GB) of RAM, well beyond the current 2 GB limit offered by today's 32-bit applications. This provides users with nearly unlimited potential for working with RAM intensive projects that make extensive use of samplers and numerous audio loops and tracks.

SONAR x64 provides users with the ability to load entire, large sample banks, libraries, and audio clips into RAM, thereby eliminating the latency introduced by disk streaming.

SONAR x64 sees further CPU performance benefits from the increased number of internal registers included with x64 processors.

Future versions of SONAR will offer the highest resolution mix engine with a fidelity exceeding that of the most expensive professional audio tools available in the market today.

When will the SONAR x64 Technology Preview be available to the general public?

SONAR x64 is now available as a free download from the Cakewalk web site at www.cakewalk.com/x64.

What do I need to get started with SONAR x64?

SONAR x64 will run only on workstations equipped with an x64 compatible CPU, running a 64-bit operating system. To preview this cutting edge technology, four steps are required:

Confirm that your workstation is equipped with an Intel processor with EM64T technology, such as a Xeon™ "Nocona" processor; or an AMD processor from the Athlon 64 processor family. Note: SONAR x64 is not compatible with Itanium™ based systems.

Get the Windows XP Professional x64 Preview from Microsoft, available on CD or as a download. Visit Microsoft at www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/ for more information.

Install the Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, as well as any 64-bit audio and video drivers you might need (see the next question in the FAQ).

Download and install the SONAR x64 Technology Preview, available from the Cakewalk web site at www.cakewalk.com/x64.
What audio interfaces does SONAR x64 currently support?

SONAR x64 requires 64-bit audio drivers, currently available from the following hardware manufacturers:

Edirol has 64-bit drivers for the following devices: UA-1000, UA-25, UM-880, UM-1 series, PCR series. Visit www.cakewalk.com/x64/edirolx64.asp to download a 64-bit driver for these devices.

Creative Labs has a 64-bit driver for the SoundBlaster Live/Audigy/Audigy 2 Series. Visit Creative Labs at preview.creativelabs.com to download a 64-bit driver for these sound cards.

M-Audio offers a complete set of 64-bit beta drivers for their Delta and FireWire product lines. Visit M-Audio at www.m-audio.com/audio64beta/ to download a 64-bit driver for your M-Audio interface.
What effects and synths are included with SONAR x64?

SONAR x64 includes a collection of DirectX effects, synths and samplers, including:

DX Effects:

Sonitus:fx suite (Compressor, Delay, Equalizer, Gate, Modulator, Multiband, Phase, Reverb, Surround, WahWah and Surround Compressor)
CFX suite (Reverb, Delay, Parameteric EQ, Stereo Reverb, Pitch Shift)
Time/Pitch Stretch
SpectraFX.
DXi Synthesizers:

sfz+ sampler
TTS-1 GM2 synthesizer
PSYN virtual analog synthesizer
nPulse drum synthesizer
Velocity drum sampler
Cyclone groove sampler
Can I use my existing effects and synths with SONAR x64?

SONAR x64 is a true 64-bit application, and will therefore only work with plug-ins that have been compiled specifically for a 64-bit operating system. You may contact the manufacturers of your favorite plug-ins and request that they release true 64-bit versions of their plug-ins.

The DirectX/DXi plugin specification was designed to be 64-bit ready. Therefore only DirectX effects and DXi instruments can be recompiled for 64-bit today. Unfortunately, the VST/VSTi specification cannot currently support 64-bit plug-ins.

Does SONAR x64 support control surfaces?

For the initial release of SONAR x64, control surface support is not included. Future 64-bit versions of SONAR will support control surfaces.

What are the limitations of this free download?

SONAR x64 has undergone only rudimentary testing, and is therefore considered to be an Alpha release. While we feel the software is stable enough to share with the general public, it has not been through our rigorous quality assurances test procedures, and therefore we suggest you not rely on this application for your commercial endeavors.

The software is fully functional, and the effects and synths included with the SONAR x64 installation will work in any other 64-bit DirectX compatible application.

The SONAR x64 application, along with its included effects and synths, will no longer launch after August 31st, 2005.

Is there a CD version of SONAR x64?

No, it can only be downloaded from www.cakewalk.com/x64 at this time.

Can I get technical support for SONAR x64?

Since SONAR x64 is considered to be an Alpha release, it will not be supported by Cakewalk technical support.

If I find any bugs or problems with the software, should I report them to Cakewalk?

If you find a bug in the SONAR x64 application, or in any of the effects and synths included in the installation, please use this web form to submit the relevant information to us.

Will there be 64-bit editions of other Cakewalk products?

The timing of the SONAR product cycle, along with the timing of Microsoft's Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Preview, made SONAR the most suitable product for Cakewalk to take a leadership role using 64-bit technology. Other Cakewalk products will be available in 64-bit editions; plans will be announced later.

I am a plug-in developer. Are there any x64 capable development tools available?

The current public beta of Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2005 (codename "Whidbey") has the ability to create x64 applications. This beta is a free download at http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2005. You can use this tool to migrate your plugins to 64-bit.

Additionally, Microsoft is offering developer training for porting to 64-bit. Please visit http://www.route64.net for more details.

acidrock said:
Another question,at 64 bits are A-D converters as important?

What will the sampling rate be?

I don't think cpu word length will have anything to do with audio word length or sample rate.

It may mean calculations done in 64 bit float hopefully

Steinberg has 32 bit capability with the top 8 bits used for non-audio functions. This means basically that 24 bits depth is the top standard for now under 32 bit architecture. I am going to go out on a limb and speculate that under 64 bit architecture you could have a 48 bit depth sound file. I will check with the guys over at Cakewalk to see if this may be in the beta software. However, you might not see a speed increase if you double the bit depth in a 64 bit environment because you are now doubling the processing required. You might however, have spectacular resolution and sound quality.

Only guessing here, I am not an expert in this arena.

Well, if there is such a thing as 48 file depth now or in the future, it would no doubt load the CPU as much as 24 bit file depth in a 32 bit architecture. The speed overall would be about the same and the CPU load about the same as now. Speculation however.

The UAD should have no problem processing wise but it would not be faster or more capable. That is limited by the cards internal storage and processing capability. Whether Windows and the Motherboard are backwardly compatible with 32 bit cards is another story.

Within 12 months we will all be dealing with these issues if we move up to 64 bit technology.

before we get 48 bit depth converters have to be able to record at 48 bit....if not all it is, is adding extra zeroes

Back