something to think about

sweetnubs

I see on these boards constant debate about which shitty mic, mic preamp, shitty compressor, etc. is better than another. The studio projects puke pump is better than the groove turd, or the oktava is better than the rode rash or no the MXL Vagina is a better bargain at the same price than the Blue Booger, etc. etc. blah blah blah ad nauseum. So these good folks admit that the difference between these concraptions is so noticable as to cause vehement debates, vitriolic vasesctomies and virile verbiage so why when a good chap like me suggests that they all suck and do not compare well at all to well designed expensive microphones am I greeted with less than cordiality? Surely if everyone can hear the difference between bottom feeder mics perhaps there is an ounce even metric ton of truth to the suggestion that more expensive mics are better, even significantly better, even like so much better? If you all can hear the difference between these proletariat promulations, surely I thee nubs with decades of experience can decisively for sure, without speculation or reservation, throw down my glove and slap you bitches upside the noggin' and prounounce once and for all well-designed professional gear is noticeably better! Yes it is! No really is!

psssss, hey johnny and tiffany, it really is!

So Sweetnubs. I've been wanting your opinion on this for some time, and I was meaning to ask:

Which one do you like better between the Groove Turd and the Kraptavia?

I understand what your trying to say nubs. It's just that most homerecorders don't have the budget to get super high expensive microphones. When they ask which is better than which, they have a set budget that limits them to only buy mic a, or mic b. So, they want to find out which one is better than the other so they make the right buy. They could just save up and buy an expensive mic, but they want something immediately. Do i endorse all these mic comparison threads? No. There are way too many mic comparison threads that have been posted. I have posted quite a few myself so i can't get mad at other people. I really can understand where your comin from tho. It makes me mad the most when people ask about mics or something and they don't know the correct terminoloy and refer to certain items as "things" or "!@#$". That's what kills me.

sweetnubs said:
I see on these boards constant debate about which shitty mic, mic preamp, shitty compressor, etc. is better than another. The studio projects puke pump is better than the groove turd, or the oktava is better than the rode rash or no the MXL Vagina is a better bargain at the same price than the Blue Booger, etc. etc. blah blah blah ad nauseum. So these good folks admit that the difference between these concraptions is so noticable as to cause vehement debates, vitriolic vasesctomies and virile verbiage so why when a good chap like me suggests that they all suck and do not compare well at all to well designed expensive microphones am I greeted with less than cordiality? Surely if everyone can hear the difference between bottom feeder mics perhaps there is an ounce even metric ton of truth to the suggestion that more expensive mics are better, even significantly better, even like so much better? If you all can hear the difference between these proletariat promulations, surely I thee nubs with decades of experience can decisively for sure, without speculation or reservation, throw down my glove and slap you bitches upside the noggin' and prounounce once and for all well-designed professional gear is noticeably better! Yes it is! No really is!

psssss, hey johnny and tiffany, it really is!

Nice little bit of dark poetry there. I particularly liked the bit about "vehement debates, vitriolic vasesctomies and virile verbiage" real nice touch that, fitting words begining with the Letter "V" together. Really clever. And then to top it, (which by the way i for one didnt think possible) with Proletariat promulations. Thats great! To actually Use the "word" Promulation. Sheer brilliance! Well done. Um what was your point?

Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com Homerecording.com...............

Get it? Didn't think so. :rolleyes:

It's kinda hard to wear high heels, or slip on banana peels
How does she get in and out of tubs
I hope she dont get mad, I hope she thinks this song is good not bad
Cause we think that she's totally rad, she's nubs.

No fingers, no toes, she doesn't have elbows,
No phalanges no knobby knees to knock
She don't need arms or hands to go see punk rock bands
She's always in the stands, she's nubs
She can't pick up a phone, she can't get dressed alone
She's got no funny bone, she's nubs
No shoes for feet but we sure do think she's neat, she's nubs, she's nubs, she's nubs.

I asked her if she want a drink, I asked her if she liked Toronto,
I asked her to go out to the bar, but all she said was no thanks, no and no

It was time for us to leave, so I grabbed and shook her sleeve
and told her I'd see her at the next club she got into a pack
and some guy put her on his back, she said goodbye and kinda waved her stub

She's got beauitful eyes, and breasts regular size,
but without calves and thighs, she's nubs
It's hard to give good head when you're tied to a bed,
when all you've got is a body and head, she's nubs

She's nubs, She's nubs, She's nubs...
Oh she may not walk the walk, and she may not like to talk
But boy she sure knows how to rock, she's nubs.

yes, that's an astute deduction - professional gear is better

probably 99% of us don't sound any better with professional gear

so we don't need it

and we can't afford it

so go take your meds, nubs

Actually, I agree to a certain extent. It is fairly pointless to endlessly agrue the merrits of which mic sounds better at any price point (although it is rather fun). Better is subjective and therefore rather irrelevent to creating music, which is the end goal in a home recording situation.

Certainly at a professional level there is a reason to ensure you have "the best of the best", but I would argue that the purpose of much of this equipment is not 100% about tone quality. Certainly, given the budget to hire a studio anyone would pick the one with the most exotic options as those are the items I can't get my hands on.

I'll use the car analogy. My Ford Focus gets me to and from work every day, but a Porsche would get me there in style.

So it all boils down to this question, will that microphone make your song better? If you think so, tell us how many dollars better would it be?

How about creamed corn and corn on the cob? One is creamy guck and turns out like creamy guck and the other is so powerful it comes out much the same way it went in... like a good microphone sitting well in a solid mix. GIGO Though it is true both of them will feed you and they are corn. It all depends on how crappy you want your shit to be in the end. :) That is a way better analogy.

littledog said:
Groove Turd? Blue Booger?

Cute play on names, but...

I wouldn't kick a VIPRE, Glory Comp, or Blue Bottle out of bed.
jesus, no posts for almost a year

where have you been?

Big Kenny said:
Car analogy sucks. One car doesn't get you there any "better" than the other, got anything else?

How about this. An artist has been sitting in a park waiting for inspiration and suddenly the perfect moment arrives. With a big grin he squeezes paint onto his pallette and looks for a brush to paint with. Hmmm, which one to choose? There's the hand made camel hair brush imported from Egypt which is very expensive and rare or the one purchased at the local art supply shop.

He reaches for one, maybe this is the wrong decision? He sets it down and studies both. Well the expensive one is said to transfer paint more smoothly and evenly, however the cheaper one is perfectly capable as well. He calls his friend to ask which one to use. They deliberate for half an hour over which would create a more clear picture. In the end, they decide the rare one is the way to go.

He picks up the brush and...the moment has passed.

Had he not gotten stuck worrying about the brush, he would have caught that special moment in time. He look around and realizes a another painter beautifully painted the scene using a run of the mill brush. Passers by are commenting on how wonderful it is and he sells the painting.

The artist sits back and waits for the next moment, wondering if a Spanish horse hair brush carved out of olive wood would allow him to get a more accurate portrait...

At any price point, endlessly worrying about the tool sacrifices the overall work...

bubbagump said:
How about creamed corn and corn on the cob? One is creamy guck and turns out like creamy guck and the other is so powerful it comes out much the same way it went in... like a good microphone sitting well in a solid mix. GIGO Though it is true both of them will feed you and they are corn. It all depends on how crappy you want your shit to be in the end. :) That is a way better analogy.

LOL Great one. :eek: Twisted but great :D

Back