Some Mixing Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't matter how old this thread is, it's extremely useful if this is the first time I have ever been ready to learn what this thread is telling us..... it's all new if I've never read it before. Nice tricks for mixing, I will be needing that info soon.

Thanks Harvey. :cool:

Thanks Harvey for all your advice...

I've used your advice about mic choices and I'm quite happy. More importantly is the attitude. I had it in my head that my studio gear was a limiting factor. Now I realize that my gear is great, and that the biggest limiting factors are my mixing skills, engineering skills and knowledge. Now, I'm spending more time working on these instead of spending so much time fretting about how it's my mic that's stopping the guitar from sounding great. For a relatively modest amount of money you can have really nice mics and preamps nowadays if you use your ears and listen to people who's advice you trust.

Thanks Harvey for all the time you've put into these threads and your budget gear reviews!

You're welcome, Russ.

I just noticed this thread has finally been made a sticky after 6 years, which saves me the trouble of bumping it up every so often. Thanks, Dragon.

no but really harvey, seriously.... what IS the best microphone?!?!
That would be a "Mr. Microphone", but by the time the industry realized it, they had gone out of business.

They were trying to sell it as a cool "babe magnet", but sadly they learned that only guitar players, singers, and drummers get the really hot girls.

I do agree with this, to a certain extent though.
I mean, there are always exceptions towards this sort of thing, as long as the poster has taken into account all the things you have mentioned there.
Otherwise, words of wisdom there. :)

I do agree with this, to a certain extent though.
I mean, there are always exceptions towards this sort of thing, as long as the poster has taken into account all the things you have mentioned there.
Huh? Which part of this thread are you commenting on?

A really great thread. I have read the whole 6 years worth of it today and have really learnt alot.
As a beginner, some of it goes over my head, but will i'm sure help me to no end!!

Thanks Harvey

The thread title is a bit of a misnomer. While it does cover the basic subject, it also diverted into a lot of other points about making a good recording. It's a shame that it's only been seen by 1/10th of the people who read the "big thread".

The thread title is a bit of a misnomer. While it does cover the basic subject, it also diverted into a lot of other points about making a good recording. It's a shame that it's only been seen by 1/10th of the people who read the "big thread".

Hmmm. This is the thread that I landed on as a result of a Google search for 'Gerst | microphone | thread'.
(And it certainly does amaze me that the thread is still active 8 year later.)

Whither the 'big thread'?

Thanks kindly.

- Richard
oldWithoutMoney.com

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back