So, what are you listening too now?

I had an out-of-body experience after listening to Maggot Brain while ingesting mass quantities of LSD back in 75. Never been the same since.

Listening to the PROOF copy of my new CD. :) So far the music is fine, but I've got 1 typo and 3 layout issues to fix in the artwork.

Girls gossiping is the sound I'm listening to now, while I hide behind a computer screen... I have NO DESIRE to join that conversation.

Music, maybe Pink Floyd... nothing too unusual

Chris Thile - How To Grow A Woman From The Ground

Amanda Palmer - Theater Is Evil

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

Lyle Lovett - Joshua Judges Ruth

The Stooges - first album

Spirit - The Family That Play Together

Sad news about Jason Molina recently. His Songs:Ohia stuff was great too - just so stark and built up an incredible atmosphere with really sparse arrangements.

Totally. I've just started to listen to the His Songs:Ohio Stuff. Thank God these guys manage to write all the stuff they do before they die, must be no easy feat when they're depressed as hell. Losing Mark Linkous from Sparklehorse a few years back was real sad too.

Right at this particular moment, Heatmiser... although not heatmiser our dear friend and HR colleague, but Heatmiser the band... what Elliott Smith was up to before he became Elliott Smith and grew fond of knives....

Air conditioner's making a niiice drone right now...diggin' it.

Earlier, Bobby Bare Singin' in the Kitchen AGAIN. :(

Totally. I've just started to listen to the His Songs:Ohio Stuff. Thank God these guys manage to write all the stuff they do before they die, must be no easy feat when they're depressed as hell. Losing Mark Linkous from Sparklehorse a few years back was real sad too.

Yeah, I loved Sparklehorse too, but they were one of the most disappointing live bands I've ever seen. There was just Mark and a drummer, with all the rest of the arrangements triggered from backing tapes - it meant that they just played along with the record with no improvisation or deviation, didn't really engage with the audience and only played for about an hour (probably the length of time that the backing tape ran for...). I remember spending months looking forward to that show and wondering how the lush arrangements on the records would translate live :(

I'm often in two minds when it comes to depression among musicians - I think it becomes a little too glamourised among aspiring musicians who feel it's a bit of a pre-requisite to being taken seriously because of the likes of Kurt Cobain, Richey Edwards, Elliott Smith etc.

As much as I like these guys, I really don't like that whole tortured artist myth - there were clearly some pretty serious chemical imbalance issues going on with some of these people because of their ultimate demises, but I've seen a few people I know affect the persona to the extent where they do actually develop some genuine reactive depression type symptoms. It's tough because then rather than elevating themselves to the glorious isolation they thought they would, they just become really unreliable, unproductive and a bit of a pain in the arse...

I've been listening to Joy Formidable this week. It's ok, some of the songs I like very much. There's lots of double tracking on the vocals :p.

You'd hate it, Greg. They're the opposite of AC/DC.

Back