So dead here now. What happened?

I think most of us noticed. Trouble is that those trolls were responsible for 90% of the traffic either with their own posts or others' reaction to them. And I don't mean just off-topic traffic either. Cave traffic easily outpaced on-topic traffic. All part of what ez alluded to - homerecording forums are passe now. When posts are limited to on-topic, homerecording subjects there just ain't that much of it anymore. The trend has passed - the craze is over.

None of that is a complaint BTW, just commenting on how I see it. I don't miss Lambo, SillyBee and the like. If I miss any of it it would be the way old days when I first arrived but already there were cracks in the facade. As with all trends it was relatively short-lived.

Yeah, I get you.
I actually had massive respect for the owners allowing the closure of the Cave because it proved their interest in community or content over traffic.
OK..Let's not bullshit...It's a business and traffic is paramount but at least they had either the sense or the decency to allow that decision to go ahead.

I 100% appreciate the value of the cave in its day, and get how a lot of people miss that....when there was a genuine decent community in/around it,
but during my time, so to speak, it was a cancerous limb that just needed to be cut off.
That negativity and trolling that took over the forum couldn't have set a good tone.
Imagine how many new users left over that...Definitely wasn't a welcoming forum.

Last edited:
It seems to me if the worst of the trollers were eliminated, then the censorship of content could be lightened up, but I really don't much care.Politics is too ridiculous these days, anyway. I only casually browse this site, and don't have any attachment to it. Any relationships that matter to me from the cave days continue elsewhere.I still think this place can be useful, in terms of a searchable database. Other than that, the football thread is largely the only attraction for me.

It seems to me if the worst of the trollers were eliminated, then the censorship of content could be lightened up

Yeah sure, the rules say no religion/politics but do you see anyone cracking a whip?
I literally don't care what's being talked about as long as no one's being a troll or aggressive, or whatever.
All the same, I never really believed there was any point trying to legislate like that so I agree...The guidelines, if anyone reads them, should be loosened up.
That's not a change of heart. I always thought that.

For a brief period they probably did give the mods a bit more solid ground with regard to super-trolls but this is where I differ from the other guys.
If someone's a clean cut troll I don't see why we need solid ground. Kick 'em.

Zero. They just stayed away from the Cave. :)

Trolling wasn't isolated to the Cave, especially during the several years when you weren't here.

Last edited:
Yeah sure, the rules say no religion/politics but do you see anyone cracking a whip?
I literally don't care what's being talked about as long as no one's being a troll or aggressive, or whatever.
All the same, I never really believed there was any point trying to legislate like that so I agree...The guidelines, if anyone reads them, should be loosened up.
That's not a change of heart. I always thought that.

For a brief period they probably did give the mods a bit more solid ground with regard to super-trolls but this is where I differ from the other guys.
If someone's a clean cut troll I don't see why we need solid ground. Kick 'em.
I haven't really been paying attention, so I don't know how aggressively the place is moderated.It doesn't really matter to me. In fairness, I guess you've all been fairly cool about it. Gecko always struck me as too aggressive and capricious about it, but, hey...if it's policy, why not enforce it.All and all, it's fine, just the way it is! :)

Don't get me wrong...wasn't hell of earth or anything but it was definitely bleeding over.
The Cave was unmoderated and left to its own devices for a long time, at the request of its members, and we were all happy enough with that.
There was a reason the mods chose to try for closure, and it wasn't 'cos we were bored and wanted to poke around in the Cave....believe me!

I guess we could have selectively banned until it was a healthier forum but with rules and guidelines and guys who know how to play them...that's a massive and depressing job.

I suppose we, or at least I, hoped a lot of the trolls would just leave when it was closed but many didn't. We ended up having to pick the most of them off regardless.

Don't get me wrong...wasn't hell of earth or anything but it was definitely bleeding over.
The Cave was unmoderated and left to its own devices for a long time, at the request of its members, and we were all happy enough with that.
There was a reason the mods chose to try for closure, and it wasn't 'cos we were bored and wanted to poke around in the Cave....believe me!

I guess we could have selectively banned until it was a healthier forum but with rules and guidelines and guys who know how to play them...that's a massive and depressing job.

I suppose we, or at least I, hoped a lot of the trolls would just leave when it was closed but many didn't. We ended up having to pick the most of them off regardless.

That's reasonable. I get it.

I'll never buy into your reason's for closing it, and it will never matter if I do.It's gone, and the world is certainly no worse for it.It was fun while it lasted, then it wasn't. The place was every bit as shitty as you make it out to be....
some of us just enjoy shit! :D

I haven't really been paying attention, so I don't know how aggressively the place is moderated.It doesn't really matter to me. In fairness, I guess you've all been fairly cool about it. Gecko always struck me as too aggressive and capricious about it, but, hey...if it's policy, why not enforce it.All and all, it's fine, just the way it is! :)

Funny, I alwasys figured it'd be me or Jimmy if anyone was accused of being aggressive with modding.
Generally speaking, and particularly now, I'm far from it but during that 'clean up' period it would most often have been me or Jim pulling the triggers.

Gecko's pretty good and stepping in and saying enough's enough so, maybe he's more visible that way or something?

The mod forum is pretty much empty right now, as it should be. Most of business is the occasional spammer.
Nothing's really getting moderated unless someone waves a massive flag at us and that hasn't happened for a good long while.

I'll never buy into your reason's for closing it, and it will never matter if I do.It's gone, and the world is certainly no worse for it.It was fun while it lasted, then it wasn't. The place was every bit as shitty as you make it out to be....
some of us just enjoy shit! :D

I'm not sure how, or why, you won't buy into the reasons for closing it but, as you say, it doesn't really matter.

I never really cared how shitty it was until two things happened.
It spread to the on-topic forums, and it spread to my inbox.

Can you believe the guys in there wanted an unmoderated free for all forum then reported the shit out of eachother?

Funny, I alwasys figured it'd be me or Jimmy if anyone was accused of being aggressive with modding.
Generally speaking, and particularly now, I'm far from it but during that 'clean up' period it would most often have been me or Jim pulling the triggers.
Gecko's pretty good and stepping in and saying enough's enough so, maybe he's more visible that way or something?
I dunno, his thread sculpting seemed capricious to me.Just a perception. I've been known to be full of shit, so ymmv.

I'm not sure how, or why, you won't buy into the reasons for closing it but, as you say, it doesn't really matter.
Different people have different perspectives and sensibilities.

I dunno, his thread sculpting seemed capricious to me.Just a perception.

That's one of the words I would not use about Gecko.
He's a very consistent person, in my experience.
I've no doubt he didn't read every thread going, though. You mod what you see, if necessary.

I would have been more inclined to close threads and warn-tempban-ban, whereas Gecko was happier to tidy up the shit and let people know why.
Both valid, in my opinion.

Different people have different perspectives and sensibilities.

True. Some people just want a cause, all the same.
The reasons for closing the cave were well document then, and now.
Despite the stream of conspiracy theorists and guys who "know" everything, it really is as simple as was stated.

That's one of the words I would not use about Gecko.
He's a very consistent person, in my experience.
I've no doubt he didn't read every thread going, though. You mod what you see, if necessary.

I would have been more inclined to close threads and warn-tempban-ban, whereas Gecko was happier to tidy up the shit and let people know why.
Both valid, in my opinion.

True. Some people just want a cause, all the same.
The reasons for closing the cave were well document then, and now.
Despite the stream of conspiracy theorists and guys who "know" everything, it really is as simple as was stated.

Sigh...seriously...I don't give a shit! :)

Dang it. That was rude.What I mean is, I'm fucked in the head, and don't see shit like other people do, but whatever you'all decide, is fine by me! :D

It's cool man. A lot of people doubt the reasons for the cave closure but I can't work out what an alternative motive would be.
Maybe I don't see shit like other people either!

It's cool man. A lot of people doubt the reasons for the cave closure but I can't work out what an alternative motive would be.
Maybe I don't see shit like other people either!

Ah...I see what you're saying now.I don't question the motivation. In fact, I don't even disagree w/it. The place was a shit hole.

Back