Snare technique

Rimshots have their place and in fact most of my snare technique is rimshot based. But then again, the majority of pros I know use the rimshot as the main attack for the snare. There's nothing wrong with it really. Simon Phillips does it, Dave Weckl does it, Gregg Bissonnette does it, Alex Van Halen does it. The difference is know how and when not to use it. Learning ghost strokes is a way to let yourself be able to flow between both. If you can learn to subdivide using small ghost strokes, then you can train your ability to lay into the snare at certain points where you don't use a rimshot. The first thing to do is change the angle of your snare where the rim only comes into play when you seek that sound. Learn to elevate your wrist most of the time and use a full strike like you would on a tom, then learn how to change the angle of attack when you need the shot. Changing drum placement and height will make you conscious of where and how you strike the drum.

But don't think because that's how you play that it's wrong. It isn't. But you need to be able to change it up.

Even Neil Peart took "refresher" drum lessons just a few years ago.....

Ironically, in one of his early interviews he credited much of his sound to "getting as much stick on the head as possible". Almost every hit a rimshot.
I used to be one of his faithful followers.

My pet peeve

I don't know many new drummers that actually know how to play brushes. It's a beautiful technique that most drummers are really clueless about. Once you see it done well it will really give you ideas. I see a lot of younger drummers using brushes just so that they can play softer but not really "using" the brushes. It's an aspect of snare technique that is specific to drum kit and a staple in jazz drumming but it also has a much broader application. I love doing pieces with brushes and I have only seen a very few out there that use them well, and they're my age or older.

We've been having drummer tryouts. The guy didn't hit rimshots.
I told him to quit hitting the snare like a pussy :)

I'm a tad mean.

I don't know many new drummers that actually know how to play brushes. It's a beautiful technique that most drummers are really clueless about. Once you see it done well it will really give you ideas. I see a lot of younger drummers using brushes just so that they can play softer but not really "using" the brushes. It's an aspect of snare technique that is specific to drum kit and a staple in jazz drumming but it also has a much broader application. I love doing pieces with brushes and I have only seen a very few out there that use them well, and they're my age or older.
Agreed. I think the problem is that most younger drummers are more interested in rock, which doesn't use brushes for much. It'd be interesting to see someone do it, though. I learned about them a long time ago (relatively speaking, I'm only 21), but I'd have to "brush" up (sorry) on my technique to really make use of them. I used them once just because I wanted to longer flap they make when you hit the snare. It suited the song well. Anyway, yes, brushes are cool, so more people should learn to use them properly.

I never realized that this was a popular technique to use rim shots most of the time...

I rarely use rim shots, I mainly use em just for the really heavy accents occasionally...

It is all about style

For most rock drumming I think you want to have that real loud crack of the snare most of the time. For my style of drumming there are a variety of strikes with lots of upbeat grace notes and rolls with rimshots as accents on occasion. What I play like most of the time would sound like crap with most rock music, but I play some rock and blues also and my technique changes for this. It's forced though because I am not accustomed to thinking that way.

Almost every backbeat you hear in the radio (pop/rock music) are rimshots... I remember and old Modern Drummer interview where guys like Colaiuta, Porcaro, Keltner, Mason talked about using almost every time rimshots (but hitting the center of the snare, not the edge)...

A drummer that do not mastered rimshots will have a hard time working in the studio...

I've never really had problems with that... in fact, I find it harder to get rimshots just right. I started life in a marching band, though, so it was all technical snare work from the get-go. If you're looking to improve snare technique, I might suggest practicing some cadences or something. But maybe not. What do I know?

...I should never be a teacher.
Ever tried stand-up? :cool: :D

Back