smallest USB interface out there?

santiu

Rock-scientist
hi all. I'm looking to find the smallest USB audio interface out there to use for song-writing and messing about while on the road. All i need is stereo line-in and headphone out.

I'm looking at the M-Audio Transit, but just wanted to see if anyone else had any other ideas.

Don't buy this: I find it's really lacking in headphone volume....YMMV.....

Attachments

• 5e13_12.jpg
    5e13_12.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 47
hi all. I'm looking to find the smallest USB audio interface out there to use for song-writing and messing about while on the road. All i need is stereo line-in and headphone out.

Assuming you're not going to be multitracking, ever thought about just using a flash card recorder?

It's going to be for very basic multi-tracking (say up to 4 tracks, but really that's limited by the low processing power of my laptop). I already have an Olympus LS-10 field recorder for non-multitrack stuff to bring with me. In fact, my plan was to use the line-out of it to provide the input to whatever interface I get whenever i want to do multi-tracking.

Don't buy this: I find it's really lacking in headphone volume....YMMV.....

I have one of these (as well as several high end sound cards), and the headphones are plenty loud enough, it is probably the impedance of your headphones. I was going to suggest one of these.

Cheers

Alan.

I recommend the Lexicon alpha. Bus powered, headphone output, monitoring, line ins, xlr in, instrument in.

Its pretty small as well.

Rate the UCA202? Well, considering the price 10/10, ease of use 10/10. Will it cut it against higher end sound cards that cost a lot more? No, but that's not what it priced at.

Basically, it is much better than the standard inbuilt sound cards and it does not cost much and it's small. I have recorded everything with one of these, Live off the desk band recordings, lecture tours, transfered tapes to CD, etc etc and it was all fine. However in the studio I don't mix through it as I have better more expensive sound cards for that job.

In fact I just bought another one for a really old Toshiba Satellite that we use for simple live band recording (if beer gets spilt on it it does not matter) and playing break music from as the inbuilt sound card has a broken output jack.

Cheers

Alan.

It's going to be for very basic multi-tracking (say up to 4 tracks, but really that's limited by the low processing power of my laptop). I already have an Olympus LS-10 field recorder for non-multitrack stuff to bring with me. In fact, my plan was to use the line-out of it to provide the input to whatever interface I get whenever i want to do multi-tracking.

Considered a Fostex MR8 Mk II? Two inputs 8 tracks to a CF card, battery driven.

Thanks for the comments suggestions guys. I ended up picking up a used Edirol UA-1EX on ebay this morning. Good price, looked similar to the Behringer unit but with 24-bit recording. It's a couple inches longer than both the U-Control and the Transit, but should still pack nicely.

We'll see how it works out :D thanks again! now I'm really starting to get into this on-the go writing studio idea. I almost want to pick up one of the Korg nano controllers :P

Back