sm81 or km184

One is different than the other.The only thing that will truly be an answer for 'better' will be your own usage and ear.They both will do the jobs you have outlined for them.And do those jobs very well.

vangore said:
Which of these is in your opinion a better all around small condenser for overheads acoustic guitar and for close micing ride and hi-hats and just all round stereo micing?

Rather different mics. The SM81 is flat, neutral, accurate, detailed - pretty much you get what you put in front of it. It's not flattering. The KM184 is a bit colored, with a wide 4dB HF rise, detailed, accurate and has that Neumann pedigree sound. The KM184 can be a bit grainy in the highs (depending on source and signal chain) and can generate a tiny bit of lower mid mud, again depending on source and signal chain.

I have never owned or heard any km184s so I can't tell you the difference or if one is "better".

What other SDCs do you own?
Do you make a living recording?

SM81s are great mics and I doubt that you would ever "out-grow" 'em in the studio. Everybody should own at least *sigh* one.

sm81s: bright and realistic

km 184s: dark and warm

Pick whichever sounds like what's in your head.

Thats not how I would describe those mics at all.

Sm81 - just a mic.... doesn't seem to do anything much to the sound

KM184 - lots of air, not a lot of lower warmth like the older KM84's.

Neither of those descriptions were intended to be bad. Both mics are great and useful mics. It all depends on the source signal, what you are after, and the rest of your chain. IN my opinion the sm81 and KM184 offer a good contrast and it would be very useful to have both.

Reactions: XLR
Thats not how I would describe those mics at all.

Sm81 - just a mic.... doesn't seem to do anything much to the sound

KM184 - lots of air, not a lot of lower warmth like the older KM84's.

Neither of those descriptions were intended to be bad. Both mics are great and useful mics. It all depends on the source signal, what you are after, and the rest of your chain. IN my opinion the sm81 and KM184 offer a good contrast and it would be very useful to have both.

xtatic, I think you put it perfectly. These are mic's where if one wasn't sounding good, you'd put up the other and it might.

It's easy to compare these mic's though if you rent them.

Tim

franksquid said:
I have never owned or heard any km184s so I can't tell you the difference or if one is "better".

What other SDCs do you own?
Do you make a living recording?

SM81s are great mics and I doubt that you would ever "out-grow" 'em in the studio. Everybody should own at least *sigh* one.

i currently have a c1000s but i dont even know where it is, i havent used it in ages becouse its a piece of crap, im not making a living recording now but i am hoping to soon.

so if i was to get a pair of each of them i suppose the sm81s would be the best to buy first becouse there so flat and wouldnt sound bad on anything?

Back