Skype with AT2020 Microphone

wcameron

I have a Dell Vista 64 bit machine and am trying to get skye working. It works fine if I use my webcam as a microphone but I'd like to use my AT2020. I'm using a TASCAM US-144 MkII as my sound card. When I go to the Audio setup I have set the Output to "Speakers (Tascam US-144 MkII)" and the Micropone to "Line In (Tascam US-144 MkII)".

I can hear the audio from the test file perfectly. When I test the microphone I get good levels showing. Next I try the test call and while I hear the audio when it plays my test call back the call all I get is a bit of garbled static.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

I haven't used Skype since 2006, but at the time I couldn't get it to recognize ASIO soundcards. I dunno if the same is true for a USB interface or what, I just built a decent mic to play nice with the onboard sound and that was that.

Thanks for your reply. My AT2020 is an xlr mic and not the usb version. I run it through my TASCAM 144 MKII. It's just odd that the levels in the monitor on the Skype audio setup work great. If I turn the mic level on the soundcard down Skype indicates the level is too low. Everything seems to work perfectly until I try to make a call and then nobody can hear me.

I'd like to be able to record interviews on Skype but so far I'm stumped. What mic did you end up using?

I have a recording of the sound quality. Is there any way to upload audio files? I'd be happy to email it to someone who may have an idea on how to best solve the problem.

Back