Simple "All in One" Synth/Midi controller?

OneT

I am very new to home recording. I have a Mac Book Pro and I am slowly teaching myself how to use Logic X. Recently I bought a Xyo Synth 25, which in theory should be a midi controller as well as a USB sound Card, so as I can plug my Mic and Guitar into and record from there. A kind of "All in one" bit of kit.

Anyway, I find the Xyo Synth to be maybe slightly too complicated for me at the moment and worry I won't use it. I am considering selling it on and buying something simpler for the time being. Are there any real simple Midi USB synths that are good for people to start of with? I want to be able to record live instruments as well as control the in built sound in Logic. Or should I keep the Xyo Synth?

Thank you in advance for any help/advice!

Never used it, but reading up on it, it actually looks like it is a good start. Not sure how it sounds when the analogs come in though it, but your alternative is to buy an interface and just use your 25 as a MIDI only controller. I don't think it will be less complex doing that.

The world of recording is just complex, the better you want your recordings to sound, the more complex it becomes. My suggestion would be, use what you have until you know what you need. No matter what you buy, there is going to be a learning curve as you work towards improvement.

Bear in mind you don't have to learn everything all at once. From what I read, the xyo synth looks to be a one cable solution, much easier than trying to configure an interface, a controller and a keyboard.

Back