Shure SM81 vs Oktava MK-012

El Barto

I'm not too happy with the results I'm getting out of my Rode NT1 or SM57 for my acoustic guitar (Takamine ESF-48C). It appears that the above mentioned mics have an awesome track record. I was wonder if anyone had any hands on experience with both and could make a recommendation. I'd also like it to double as an overhead for drums. I'm somewhat leaning more towards the Oktava, since I can get a stereo pair for a little more than the SM81, but I'm also worried about the "you get what you pay for" addage. Any tips would be appreciated.

never used the oktava's, but i can vouch for the quality of the sm-81's, both for acoustic guitars and OH's

you might want to look at used 81's if price is a concern...seems like they're pretty easy to find for cheap because there's tons of them out there

had one pair of oktavas modded and sold my 81's, I really think they are on an even plain, just different. I think the Shure is more defined but I like the overall sound of the Oktavas (with or without the Mod). Seem to sit in a mIx better too. YMMV!

IT'S NOT JUST THE MICS, IT'S HOW YA USE 'EM

If I was going to pay $350 for an acou guit SD, I'd look at the Josephson C-42, the Peluso C6, and the AT4041.

i use the octavas and they are great as OHs and for acoustic. as i mentioned yesterday in another thread, i put one mic on the sound hole and the other on the 12th fret, and pan them L and R. it sounds incredible.

I've tried the Octavas and the C42s. I kept the C42s, but the Octavas aren't bad at all.

Octava MC-012 is kind of a darker SDC IMO.

It seems like the general consensus is that the Oktava MK-012's are excellent mics, but the SM81 is the top dog. Now I need to convince myself to spend $350 on a mic to get a great sound. Hello, tax return. Thanks for the input guys.

I'd go with the Oktavas.

Unless you're using some pretty high-end preamps (and signal chain), the SM81 is overkill. Plus 2 is better than one, and the Oktava's aren't cheapies!

The SM81 does sound excellent, but I'd take a matched stero pair of 012s any day. Especially if you plan on using them as Drum OHs. I've tracked OHs with 2 sm81s and was unimpressed.....sounded good, but not my idea of bang-for-buck!

Another thing to consider is a matched pair of MXL 603s or 604s (preferred).
Very usable sound in stereo situations.

I got a pair of old, but barely used SM-81s for about $350. The capsules were modded many years ago by the seller, Scott Dorsey, to remove the slotted disk up front of the diaphragm to improve the transient response. The mod causes the high end to droop just a tad above 15K, and they are about -3 dB at 18K, while the stock version is flat out to about 20K. The more I work with them, the more I like them. The on-axis response is about as accurate and neutral as you will find in a directional mike.

Cheers,

Otto

ofajen said:
I got a pair of old, but barely used SM-81s for about $350. The capsules were modded many years ago by the seller, Scott Dorsey, to remove the slotted disk up front of the diaphragm to improve the transient response.

$350 for a decent pair of SM-81s!? AND modded my Dorsey!!!!?

Quite a steal. Nice!

One new sm81 will cost you around 350!

jaykeMURD said:
$350 for a decent pair of SM-81s!? AND modded my Dorsey!!!!?

Quite a steal. Nice!

One new sm81 will cost you around 350!

I think used SM-81s sell all day long on eBay at about $200 or just above.

Scott is a long-time, fellow Ampex list member, so he might have cut me some slack on that account. Also, he records a lot of events and mainly uses his very expensive Josephson and Schoeps mikes since they have better off-axis response.

He bought the SM-81s about 25 years ago because he had to, since they were spec'ed on a gig. Once modded to improve the transient response, he said they were good enough he wasn't in a hurry to get rid of them, but not good enough that he wouldn't mind selling them, since he mainly uses his other, more expensive mikes.

Cheers,

Otto

ofajen said:
I think used SM-81s sell all day long on eBay at about $200 or just above.
That right ~$200 on the bay. I'm in the SM-81 camp, but my disclaimer is that I don't have the Oktavas (I do have one stock and one modded MK319 LDC, which I like, but not the MC/K 012).

The bonus about the SM-81s is that you don't have to get a matched pair, because they're pretty much all matched (at least that's been my advice and small amount of experience), and so you also don't have to get them at the same time and place, either. Therefore if you plan to do stereo recording, you should calculate the comparison prices accordingly.

I picked up a SM-81 in a pawn shop for $130 a couple of months ago. It was beat up looking, but it sounds great and works fine alongside my other beat up looking used SM-81s. If you're amenable to pawn shops, that might be a good place to look because 1) most pawn shop owners offer discounts based on the way an item looks, but we care about how it sounds, 2) the SM-81 is an instrument mic, so there's probably not that much spittle in a used one, and 3) they're really durable, so a beat up and therefore discounted one is likely to sound just fine (but could be completely destroyed, I suppose). On ebay, everybody knows about how the mic sounds and doesn't care so much about how it may look, and so that's probably why they're higher.

Well, my personal experience with the SM-81 hasn't been all that great. I mean I listen to the recordings that I used it on an acoustic gtr. now, and they have this strange uber compressed, phase-y quality to them. Honestly, something was either wrong with the one I purchased, or I'm just not a fan of the SM-81. I sold it consequently and have been using an LDC with far better results *for me*. YMMV.

El Barto said:
It seems like the general consensus is that the Oktava MK-012's are excellent mics, but the SM81 is the top dog. Now I need to convince myself to spend $350 on a mic to get a great sound. Hello, tax return. Thanks for the input guys.

I wouldn't say the SM81 is top dog. More accurate, detailed and linear than the Oktava, yes. A flatter response, yes. A studio staple, yes. There are several other mics in the same price area that you might want to consider. One in particular is the Pelusos CEMC 6 which, like the Oktava, is a modular system with interchangeable capsules. About $270 each with capsule of your choice.

sdelsolray said:
I wouldn't say the SM81 is top dog. More accurate, detailed and linear than the Oktava, yes. A flatter response, yes. A studio staple, yes. There are several other mics in the same price area that you might want to consider. One in particular is the Pelusos CEMC 6 which, like the Oktava, is a modular system with interchangeable capsules. About $270 each with capsule of your choice.

Yeah but..... I don't always want flatter, more accurate, linear and detailed....I often prefer warm (ugh, sorry), fatter and more mid rangy to sit in a mix

P.S. Don't get me wrong, I don't think I know more than you do, I'm sure I don't.

Another wonderful , albeit overlooked, sdc is the AKG 451. It always sounds great in any sdc situation

i don't know if i'd consider the 451 "overlooked"...i've seen gear lists for a lot of top studios that use these, and have used them myself with great results

i think they don't get mentioned as often though because of their price tag...$550/mic seems to price them out of the range of most people on this board(different story if this was gearslutz!)

Big Kenny said:
Yeah but..... I don't always want flatter, more accurate, linear and detailed....I often prefer warm (ugh, sorry), fatter and more mid rangy to sit in a mix

Excellent point. It's good to have a sense of your personal recording aesthetic. We aren't all the same by any stretch of the imagination. I pretty much always want to start with flat, detailed recordings so I know what things really sound like. Then I decide whether I have what I want, need to change the sound of the source or want the recording chain to alter the sound. But that's just me, and I'm weird.

Cheers,

Otto

I think the mk012 has a very pleasant sound. I would think that most homerec folk wouldn't be looking to accurately capture their crappy rooms.

Back