Shure SM81 Surprisingly Low Output?

ghetto3jon

hello. i just received a second hand sm81 in the mail. it seems to work fine, but i'm surprised how low the output is compared to some of my other condenser mics. my at4047 is nice and loud (run my VMP2 around "3"), but with my new (used) sm81, i have to turn the peavey up much higher.

is that a characteristic of this mic? or something wrong with the one i bought?

Did you check to make sure the pad is not engaged? The sm81 uses a ring that rotates right below the capsule as a pad so it is often easy to overlook.

yeah, the pad is off.

thanks mshilarious. i guess it's just a less sensitive microphone. i was just a bit suprised because other SDC mics i've used seemed very sensitive.

i did check out the specs, but i really don't know how to read a lot of that stuff...guess i should learn, eh?

thanks!

My guess is that the wire from one of the two signal pins is broken---probably broken off right at the connector. Easy fix.

Edit: I misread that. I thought you were comparing an SM81 to another SM81 and it was a lot quieter. Never mind.

Last edited:
ghetto3jon said:
i did check out the specs, but i really don't know how to read a lot of that stuff...guess i should learn, eh?

SM81 is -45dBV/Pa (94dBSPL), AT4047 is -35dBV/Pa. Thus you would need 10dB more gain to get the same level. If you need more than that, I would suspect something was wrong. I think the AT also has a 10dB pad, so that should be easy to check :)

The only AT mic that I have is a 3035, but it has a much hotter output than my 81. I would guess that yours is fine.

i ran some tests against the 4047, and the sm81 without the pad is still a little quieter than the 4047 with the pad...but i guess it's no big deal. if something was wrong, it would be probably be a lot quieter...and it was just a little quieter (the difference of "6" and "8" on my VMP2). it did sound good, though.

i just bought a pair of sm81s and was stumpted to find the same thing compared to my rode nt1a,

figured sm81s were just like that since they were both equally quiet but still,

thought i'd fire up a wee thank you :)

I also have to raise the gain for my 81. Which I've had going on 10 years now! :D Still beautiful, still my goto for acoustic guitar.

Back