Shure BG 4.0

Micter

No Title
A buddy gave me a pair a while ago. I have not seen or been able to find much about these mics. Anyone have any experience with them?

I used one a few years ago to record acoustic guitar and mandolin and I found it to be better than expected- warm, slightly dark, detailed. Small diaphragm electret. Oktava MC-012 is better, though.

I used one a few years ago to record acoustic guitar and mandolin and I found it to be better than expected- warm, slightly dark, detailed. Small diaphragm electret. Oktava MC-012 is better, though.

Thanx.

I haven't done anything but plug them in to make sure they work and free is better than paying for anything. lol

I had (maybe still have) a BG 1.0. Budget mics, but servicable. Would use for live work, or room-ambience when recording, but not for critical sources when recording.

I had (maybe still have) a BG 1.0. Budget mics, but servicable. Would use for live work, or room-ambience when recording, but not for critical sources when recording.

The BG 1.0 is a cheap dynamic, the 4.0 is a small diaphragm condensor. Apples to Oranges. :D

The BG 1.0 is a cheap dynamic, the 4.0 is a small diaphragm condensor. Apples to Oranges. :D

I don't think it is as A2O as you think- they are both in Shure's budget (maybe that's where "BG" came from: BudGet) line.

I don't think it is as A2O as you think- they are both in Shure's budget (maybe that's where "BG" came from: BudGet) line.

I have two BG 1.0's that an old girlfriend gave me. HMMM? all my BG's were free that should tell me something. Anyway, I am familiar with the BG 1.0.

Not trying to get in your face, Micter (altho it sounds like you are trying to get in mine- but it ain't happenin'!) but that does not prove your original- so if all the BG's you have are all free, that says that they are all worth what you paid for them- and that includes the BG 4.0, if you have one. And if you do NOT have one, it does not prove your assertion.

It does show one thing, though- your rhetoric sucks.:D

Not trying to get in your face, Micter (altho it sounds like you are trying to get in mine- but it ain't happenin'!) but that does not prove your original- so if all the BG's you have are all free, that says that they are all worth what you paid for them- and that includes the BG 4.0, if you have one. And if you do NOT have one, it does not prove your assertion.

It does show one thing, though- your rhetoric sucks.:D

Dude, I was just funnin'. as well as letting you know that I also have a couple of BG 1.0's in my locker. Two words RE LAX! lol ;)

I had a BG 4.0 that I used for years. It has the capacity to run on a AA battery as well as phantom power, but sounds slightly better on phantom. I used it until I upgraded to an sm81, then sent it on to my son.

It's a pretty good little mic. Nice on acoustic. I read of a commercial studio, (sorry can't remember who) that loved a pair of these on piano.

It is probably the best mic in the Beta Green series. It looks and sounds a little like an sm94.

The BG 1.0 however, is crap.

Back