Shure beta 58a better than sm58 ???

mikeon

Is it ? I was planning on buying a sm58. I need it mainly for rap vocals. The sm58 is 100 bucks while the beta is about 150 bucks. Is it worth the extra 50 bucks? I need it for recording purposes only.Should I be looking at a condensor for less than 200 over buying a dynamic for 150 ? Or is the sm58 the best bet.... for now ?

I had both, a long time ago, so the preamp was a teac mixing board....
anyway, I didn't think it was much better.
imo, its a slight move form a 58.

if you want a larger "change" in sound you probably want something else.

As near as I can tell, the Beta has a little better gain before feedback, which makes it a superior live mic. For recording, I believe there is no practical difference between the mics. FWIW, for a basic dynamic in that price range, I prefer Sennheiser e835 or e845 to SM57 or SM58.-Richie

http://www.shure.com/stellent/group...web_resource/site_img_us_rc_beta58a_large.gif

http://shure.com/stellent/groups/pu...ts/web_resource/site_img_us_rc_sm58_large.gif

they look pretty close, but i think they do sound different. like Richard said, the beta's (i think it's true of the whole series?) are supposed to get better gain before feedback, which doesn't really matter much.
i had a beta at one point (just cause i got really cheap) and actually thought it didn't sound as good as a regular 58 (at least on a snare drum or guitar cab, didn't really try it on vocals.)

The beta's getting "better gain before feedback" issue is kind of misleading. The beta series when dealing with a 58 or 57 has a tighter pattern. This can result in better gain before feedback, but it really depends on a bunch of other factors. After using both hundreds of times, I have switched out sm58's for beta 58's and vice versa probably an equal amount of times to help feedback on stage. There have been plenty of times where an sm58 was easier to control and allowed for more gain before feedback. There is a definate difference in sound between the two mics, but not nearly as drastic a difference between a 58 of either type and a condensor.

As near as I can tell, the Beta has a little better gain before feedback, which makes it a superior live mic. For recording, I believe there is no practical difference between the mics. FWIW, for a basic dynamic in that price range, I prefer Sennheiser e835 or e845 to SM57 or SM58.-Richie

+1 to Sennheiser... I've been using SM58 for a long time until I got my Sennheiser e935 my live experience changed!

Back