shipping advice

JustinBell

So I bought a tsr 8 for 400$, susposdly in mint condition everything works, heads are good ect. now unfortunately it has to be shipped, its coming from florida to halifax ns canada, the person shipping it got a quote from ups for 300$ shipping! its 65 lbs and hes shipping it in the original box.
The box is 35 x 35 x 35. So I called fedex ground and they wont ship it, they say that it has to go freight. I called usps and they said for 65lbs it would cost 130$, then I gave them the dimensions of the box and told me they couldnt do it and to check with one of their competitors :laughings:

Now, there was a link in the packing and shipping thread somewhere to a packing guide and they were talking about putting the r2r in a box and then in another box that was 24 x 24 x 24, that would work for me becuase usps said that for that price (130.00) that the dimensions had to add up to 108 or something right around there.

So should I tell the seller to just scrap the idea of using the original box? how safe would that be anyway? Im assuming that when they were shipped that way initially they were shipped freight to tascam dealers and didnt undergo the punishment of other shipping methods. So, do I just ask him to follow some of the guide lines we have here for shipping instead? what would you do?

No offense, but I'd have nailed down the shipping terms before committing to the purchase.

Also, I'd be having it double boxed in the original packaging. Nothing else will be safer than the original carton for the inner cacoon and then another carton on the outside. Spendy? You bet. Since you are committed to the purchase I see you have 2 options...roll the dice (and the odds aren't good) and ship it in a non oem container and watch your $400 purchase go down the toilet, or ship it right and pay the piper to do it right and greatly increase your odds of the deck getting there in a similar condition as it is now.

ok thanks, good advice. now that I know the original box and packing materials are better then a new packing job I'll be using that and asking him to double box it. Now, how big should the outer box be? as I understand it you pack differently for different decks, but seeing as this is just a new packing job for the outer box what would you guys suggest? penuts? bubble?

I would highly recommend you arrange to have the original box strapped to a pallet and sent freight. To make it even more safe, I'd go with what Cory mentioned, of doing the double box thing but then I'd still have it strapped to a pallet. I would never forgo the pallet. Shouldn't be more than about $200. I had my 48 shipped that way, double boxed, strapped to a pallet and sent freight. That's the way to go.

Look into this: http://www.freightquote.com/

thanks cjacek. Im on that freightquote site now, it looks like you have to have it sent to a business. If thats the case I cant do that now, but 200$ to ship freight sounds right to me. fedex quoted me 1000.00 to ship freight!

While some details escape me, when I had my recorder shipped, from San Francisco to Vancouver, BC, the seller used http://www.freightquote.com/ to arrange the shipment. He double boxed the recorder, using extra material between the boxes, had it strapped to a wooden pallet, filled out some paperwork and had it freighted over to me. I picked it up at the freight terminal location nearest to me. I didn't have any business address. I just provided my contact info in order for a broker to contact me, clear the customs etc..... and I just picked it up. It was close to 200 LBS total and I paid around $200 + broker's fees + taxes (unfortunately) but it arrived safe and it was worth it.

The one thing you really don't want to do is have the seller ship the recorder just in its own box or haphazardly double boxed 'cause it will get damaged. Contrary to popular thought, those decks are not meant to be shipped "as is" just in their factory boxes. It needs to also be palletized.

Wait, wait a minute! Did you say that the seller told you that the box is 35 x 35 x 35 ?? That's impossible! The original box is not nearly that large. Double check what he said. That's why you're getting crazy quotes. FedEx ground should be able to deliver to you for a reasonable sum. See, that's an alternative to the above. Have you seen the 101 packing thread and especially Cory's (sweetbeats) packing job? If you had the seller pack like that and had it sent via FedEx ground then at least you stand a good chance of receiving your TSR-8 in good order for a more reasonable sum, substantially less than for palletizing. This alternative I recommend only IF the seller does the double boxing right (ala sweetbeats) and sends it FedEx ground.

Again.... The original TSR-8 box is not nearly the dimensions the seller is quoting. Either he's an idiot or trying to make money off of shipping. I would have him measure that box again carefully.

Last edited:
I don't think it's a mix-up 'cause 35 cm is still like 13 inches which is too small for a TSR-8 box. Somethings' fishy tho.....

Did some investigating.... (straight from the manual).

The dimensions of just the recorder (no box or packing material) is approx 43.2 cm (17 inch) x 41 cm (16 inch) x 24 cm (9.5 inch) and with the factory packing material + box, that should give about an extra 2 inches (each side), which totals to about a 21" x 20" x 13" (or 53.34 cm x 50.8 cm x 33.02 cm) original box, which is a far cry from the quoted 35 x 35 x 35, no matter what he meant. He could not have been measuring the original box, 'cause even the different dimensions are wrong, not to mention way off... I'm just guesstimating but I bet I'm closer than he is.

thanks cjacek for the great replys and checking out the manuel for me.
I too thought that that seemed like a pretty box. And yes I seen corys great packing job for the 48 if thats what your talking about and Ive read through the whole packing and shipping thread and checked the links out from there aswell. all very good stuff. Like I mentioned before, fedex quoted me, for a 65lbs package, $130.00 then I told them the dimensions of the box and they told me they couldnt do it.

So, I thought well mabye this guy is already double boxing it(yah right),
How could the box be that big? somewhere in that packing thread theres a mention to double boxing and using a 24 x 24 x 24 as the outer box, so it just doesnt really make any sense.

This is the first email he sent to me:

"Hello. The dimensions of this box is 35x35x35. The weight is 65lbs. $288 plus packaging costs makes the total just over $300 using UPS. Let me know if you know of a more inexpensive way to ship. Thank you."

So what exactly are the "packaging costs"? well after I got this I sent him an email asking him how exactly he is going to pack this, he hasnt replied yet. But nowhere does he mention double boxing. And even if he was double boxing this then surely the box doesnt need to be that big, right? So I dont know if hes bullshitting becuase he did say "let me know if you find a more inexpensive way to ship" but how am I going to do that if he tells me that the box is that big, so I dont know if hes trying to get more money or not.

Hopefully I'll get something back from him soon, and if he says that that is the size of the tascam box, well I'll know what to say to him :D

Yup, as I said before, the dimensions the seller is providing are plain misleading. The TSR-8's original box will fit a 24x24x24 outer box without a problem and still have room between the two for extra packing. The problems that I have with that seller, who's a Pawn Shop BTW, are plentiful. I doubt you'll be able to successfully communicate your needs to the seller but it's worth a try. Here's what I would do: Call the seller and talk to him. That way you'll get immediate answers. Tell him that he's mistaken about the dimensions of the original factory box and ask him to measure again (while you're on the phone). Ask him to confirm that he's in fact measuring the original TSR-8 factory box (as previously stated) and that it's in inches. Basically question him about how he arrived at his dimensions. If he so confirms and the dimensions are closer to what I had given then we can go from there. You can then ask if he can arrange to have it strapped to a pallet and sent freight. Alternatively, if he can effectively double box, as previously stated, and sent via FedEx ground. I will be honest that I don't have a good feeling about this at all. BTW, if on the other hand he sticks to his insane dimensions just tell him plain and simple that he's getting a nice negative feedback from you as the result of blatant misrepresentation and plain lying.

BTW, if on the other hand he sticks to his insane dimensions just tell him plain and simple that he's getting a nice negative feedback from you as the result of blatant misrepresentation and plain lying.

In that case I'd ask for a photo of the boxed machine first. I know there are people out there who try to rip other people off but most of the time when I had a "bad feeling" about things like that, it turned out as just a misunderstanding. Some people mistake the box it originally came to them with the original box. :confused: Something like that, you get the drift. I'm always careful with accusations when there are still some unknowns. I've been wrong once and that was one too many times for me :o

Tim

In that case I'd ask for a photo of the boxed machine first. I know there are people out there who try to rip other people off but most of the time when I had a "bad feeling" about things like that, it turned out as just a misunderstanding. Some people mistake the box it originally came to them with the original box. :confused: Something like that, you get the drift. I'm always careful with accusations when there are still some unknowns. I've been wrong once and that was one too many times for me :o

Tim

Well I know what your saying, but in this case the seller is fully aware that the "original box" is indeed the original tascam/teac manufacture's box. yes cjacek your totally right, this is being sold from a pawn shop, howd ya know that, too much time on ebay like moi? :)
Todays sunday, and the pawn shop would be closed Im assuming and thats where he is sending and receiving emails from so I doubt to hear back today, but tomorrow I will call and see whats going on. I really hope that hes not trying to scam me, but I too have a bad feeling about it. hopefully this isnt the case and we can negotiate and get this here safe!

I'm late to this thread but I'll chime in anyway. I shipped a MSR-16 along the USA West Coast. I didn't double box it, but I bought a U-HAUL 27" TV box, lined it with styrofoam insulation panels from home depot. Put a nice layer of peanuts on the bottom of the box, wrapped a crap load of bubble wrap around the deck and taped sf pieces around the front to make a flat surface around where there are protruding and/or moving parts before the bubble wrap. then put int he baox and then another crap load of peanuts. Whole thing weighed in at around 85 pounds. Shipping via FedEx was US$120 (to a business address) and materials about US$30. I reviewed the shipping thread here, and tried to follow the guidelines that VintageTX put on there. It worked.

I had an idiot from somewhere in N. America ship a Fostex 80 to me transport side down on one piece of thin bubble wrap in a box that might have been good for shipping linens. That didn't work.

There are many shipping services available which is perfect for you and you can find it on the web. As per view double box packaging not safe to shipping but it is depend on shipping method. You should choose right company which providing best service to their customers.

Last edited:
There are many shipping services available which is perfect for you and you can find it on the web.

Yes, but unfortunately their aren't many offerings in the 'time machine' department so I guess the OP just had to deal with whatever method he ended up using.

Back