Searching for My First Mic

If "I" had just $100 to buy a mic it would be an SDC, vastly more versatile than any dynamic (could not GET a 57 here for $100 exch now anyway!)

I cannot find any footage quickly of it but I know the singers that fronted the big bands did not hold the mics (until the crooners came in). No, the lasses and lads stood back a good foot off a big RCA something because they could S.I.N.G! (I have no idea what "PA" looked like in the 40s and 50s but these people were only trying for enough level to put themselves about 2feet "from the ear" of the punter, not deafen him) .

You did not see a microphone within 2 feet of Pavarotti! (unless it was for speech intervals) So, unfortunately it seems TWO mics are really needed. A big, side address LDC for belting classical (and old BBand?) and a close talking "crooner" dynamic for more modern use.

A good compromise IMHO would be an SDC with pad but then the dymo does not have to be a Shure? There are many good dynamics around now at less than 1/2 the price. Prodipe are one such.

Ahgg! Fergot, Do NOT get a USB mic. Although the quality has improved greatly they are very, very limiting for general recording and EVERYONE forgets the other half? Monitoring!

Dave.

Are there stores that will allow me to try different mics before buying them? When I bought my flute I was able to experiment on several before selecting my instrument - is there a similar option for microphones and other hardware?
My experience/impression is for the most part, no....but in your area, who knows? Only one way to find out. :) Would help if you were near a big city. That's been a very frustrating aspect of this for me.

Well I'm glad you're having a good time browbeating me for my suggestion. I didn't think you cared so much to try to make my suggestion out to be an idiotic one.
I thought the idea was to offer opinions to the op. Instead it is turning into shoot down the opinion of others. Seems I have fallen for your troll bait?
No, what you've done apparently is gotten into a pointless snit. Sheesh. Excuse me for disagreeing.

However, in my own defense, in the previously posted video, the mic shootout, there was a 57 in there and it did pretty damn well holding it's own against pricier condensers. So, my suggestion can't be too insane.
If you re-read my post (#16), I don't disagree. As I said, although I find the 57 to be an unlikely best choice, it's impossible to say what works best for this person...you were the one who said "get a 57," not simply to consider one or maybe it's worth considering, etc.

Bottom line, for me. If I only had 100 bucks to spend on a mic, I would want one for various purposes,
But again, it isn't for you. :) I certainly agree it's hard to beat the 57 as an overall mic to have if you expect to have multiple needs in the future, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

If "I" had just $100 to buy a mic it would be an SDC, vastly more versatile than any dynamic (could not GET a 57 here for $100 exch now anyway!)

A good compromise IMHO would be an SDC with pad but then the dymo does not have to be a Shure? There are many good dynamics around now at less than 1/2 the price. Prodipe are one such.

Dave.
Hey Dave..... been meaning to ask as you've suggested this a couple times. By SDC are you referring to just mics that are 'pencil style' or including mics such as the AT2020, which with its 16mm diameter diaphragm might be also considered SDC. Audio Technica's AT4022 pencil style for example is called an SDC with its 16.3mm diameter diaphragm. The AT4033 is another with an SDC sized diaphragm at 11.5mm.
Just thinking that many noobs may think of a 'pencil style' mic when they see SDC and it may not be the case.
I have several of these LDC imposters and they do pretty well on my vocals and acoustic guitar.

It's funny that many retailers call the AT2020 an LDC, but Audio Technica's documentation steers clear of mentioning diaphragm size, where as the AT4040 they state clearly it's a "Technically-advanced large diaphragm" mic.

On a low budget I'd look at the Rode M3. It's very much like the AKG C1000 but (IMO) better and cheaper.
I've used it on acoustic guitar, vocals and hand-purcussion as well as a room mic for theatre application.
It's very adaptable. I'd have no qualms in throwing it at a multitude of a sources.

Hey Dave..... been meaning to ask as you've suggested this a couple times. By SDC are you referring to just mics that are 'pencil style' or including mics such as the AT2020, which with its 16mm diameter diaphragm might be also considered SDC. Audio Technica's AT4022 pencil style for example is called an SDC with its 16.3mm diameter diaphragm. The AT4033 is another with an SDC sized diaphragm at 11.5mm.
Just thinking that many noobs may think of a 'pencil style' mic when they see SDC and it may not be the case.
I have several of these LDC imposters and they do pretty well on my vocals and acoustic guitar.

It's funny that many retailers call the AT2020 an LDC, but Audio Technica's documentation steers clear of mentioning diaphragm size, where as the AT4040 they state clearly it's a "Technically-advanced large diaphragm" mic.

'Lo Mark. The P150/170 have a 12.5mm diaphragm, almost exactly half an inch in your money. The big side address mics are more usually 22 to 25mm, one inch. The smaller diaphragm is, as I understand things, what gives the SDC its more "neutral" character whereas LDCs tend to have some attitude, some quite a lot!

This is most evident in measurement microphones where a tiny, 6mm D gives a very flat and even response devoid of colouration but you pay in terms of greatly reduce sensitivity and therefore more noise.

My general recommendation of the SDC (whatever THAT is!) comes about because they have a usefully higher sensitivity over dynamics (although AI mic pres have improved immensely in recent years.)
Are suitable for almost any instrument.
Have a top end "sparkle", useful to the Home Bod since bedrooms can be dull and boxy.
Lighter and easier to "poke" than LDCs than most dynamics.
If a model is chosen with a pad switch they revert to dymo sensitivity and can be used very close.

And! Last but not least? I don't want ALL the fekking world to sound like a fekking 57/58!

Dave.

Back