Scratch drive ?

långben

Hi, new at this forum .
What means with one drive that write and one that reads ?
PS. I shall intruduce myself later DS.

Thanks

Yes , I read this thread and I don´t understand what the OP mean with to have one drive that write and one that reads .
I have one drive (ssd) for OS + programs , another(7200RPM) for projects and a third (7200RPM)for sample librarys.

I've replied over in the other thread before noticing this one, so just to copy it here:

Scratch drive is a phrase I've only encountered in that other thread so your confusion is justified!

To say that one drive writes and the other reads is a bit misleading...what's the point of writing to a drive if it doesn't read! (And vice versa of course!)

Anyway, my interpretation (based on the linked article and the way I operate too) is that it's good to have one drive that contains your operating system and DAW software (so, other than internal housekeeping, it's only reading. A second drive is there to contain the actual audio files you're recording and working one. This allows both drives to work at the most efficient. So basically you're doing it exactly right!

Why some people call them scratch drives I don't know!

Ah yeah. If that's one you mean then Bobbsy is bang on.
Thanks Henry. ;)

(This is bound to be confusing for new members - I'm Paul and Moresound is Henry.) :)

Back