Samson C01 Vs MXL 770

BeatJamSpin

Which is better, the Samson C01 or the MXL 770?
P.S I didn't ask for for you to give other microphone suggestions >.> People like to go off subject like that ALOT. Not tryin to be rude but....:)

I have used both and there is very little to choose between. The 770 is good value and I would nearly reccomend it.

Having used both at a friend's house last year, they were both alright. They both did a passable job on acoustic guitar and vocals, and they'd probably do alright on drums too in a pinch.
No idea what they'd be like on guitar amps or anything else but my guess would probably be that they do an alright job for the money.

I think a thorough technical analysis of ~£70 mics would probably show you that they were both cheap mics...neither would be my pick in that price range either.

The microphone isn't for me, its for my brother btw >.> just not trying to have to spend to much on a decent mic for him. Any other recommendations then?

I have a MXL 990, which has the same capsule and PCB as the 770. Like Jake said above, it's alright. It's really more of a small diaphragm condenser in a ldc style chassis. It does OK on vocals and a little better on acoustic guitar. It has a somewhat harsh and hyped high end like most budget condensers. The one saving grace is that it's very inexpensive, which saves its bang for the buck factor.

Ah, if it's for someone else (presumably a first mic?) then that changes things - I assumed it was for someone with experience of mics already and wanting another mic or an upgrade. For a beginner recording and getting something okay down is a good result, so gear snobbery need not apply.

I think the Se X1 is a viable alternative to the MXL, but doesn't include a shockmount (which is nearly criminal), otherwise I would reccoment it wholeheartedly.

In the UK both are ~£80, the Samson is ~£45 which is quite a sizable difference. I think that if it's a first mic, any of them are good choices but I think that the X1 or the MXL will probably last your brother for a while longer if he keeps recording. If your brother wants to get more into it and learns what he likes and doesnt like about mics then he can upgrade/replace later on.

Back