Samples of drums recorded with budget overheads?

complexprocess

I'm looking to buy some VERY low budget overheads. I'm thinking of the Behringer ECM8000 because they seem to be mentioned positively in budget mic threads. Does anyone have any samples of this mic (or a similarly priced one) being used as an overhead? The press material doesn't mention drums, though I'm sure they're fine. Someone please ease my fears. :)

not satisfied w/ my mixes, (or playing) but the stuff I did recently is w/ the mxl991/603s mics. (in my sig is link)

I managed to get a pair of MXL V63 for $50 each (eBay). They are used as overheads on these test tracks.

Don't mind my playing, as I was giving the guitarist hand signals while he was sitting at the mixer. I usually do the engineering and he was helping me dial-in the drum mix.

i own 4 CAD GXL1200

they go for around $100/pair on ebay.

i am very impressed with their quality for their price

Overheads...

A few years back, I recorded in a studio that used SM58s as overheads. Then again the room was very large and tasty sounding with a full acoustic trap right behind the drums. The preamps and compressors were Crane Songs tracked to an Otari 8-track... Overall good sound.

northsiderap said:
A few years back, I recorded in a studio that used SM58s as overheads. Then again the room was very large and tasty sounding with a full acoustic trap right behind the drums. The preamps and compressors were Crane Songs tracked to an Otari 8-track... Overall good sound.

Cranesong preamps, compressors, Otari.... and 57's for overheads. Odd.

<< Cranesong preamps, compressors, Otari.... and 57's for overheads. Odd. >>

Odd indeed. but hey, if it worked....

i've had some real good success with an MXL V67 as a mono overhead. i need to pick up a 2nd one for a pair......but i've been getting into mono drums a lot lately.

cheers,
wade

PhilGood said:
I managed to get a pair of MXL V63 for $50 each (eBay). They are used as overheads on these test tracks.

Don't mind my playing, as I was giving the guitarist hand signals while he was sitting at the mixer. I usually do the engineering and he was helping me dial-in the drum mix.

Nice sounding drums. What other mics are you using for those tracks? How's the room? What drums, cymbals, shells? What did you have for breakfast? Ha! Seriously, any info you can share would be cool.

Last edited:
TravisinFlorida said:
Nice sounding drums. What other mics are you using for those tracks? How's the room? What drums, cymbals, shells? What did you have for breakfast? Ha! Seriously, any info you can share would be cool.

Well, you know the overheads are V63s. The toms are sm57 clones from GLS audio, the snare is a Superlux ECO-H6A (a side address electret) The kick is a Superlux FK2 kick mic blended with a homebuilt 8" subkick (just barely added). I have an MXL 603s on the high hat. Everything is run through an old Ramsa mixer using the built in mic pres. There's no EQ on anything except I boost the 4khz on the kick mic and boosted 2khz and 6khz on the snare because I'm not using a bottom mic. I probably will later.

The drums are Tama. Cymbals are Paiste and Wuhan. The room is my guitarists garage that we sound proofed with layers of sound board and insulation. There's a false floor and a 4" riser for the drums to isolate vibration. The walls are carpeted so I added a touch of reverb to make it sound like a larger room. That was added to a room mic.

I have a Symetrix SX202 preamp that I use for vocals. I'm going to try that on either the overheads or the kick and snare. I've got a couple of Presonus tube pres that might work too.

complexprocess, I have a pair of ECM8000s that I might throw up and lay down some samples if you can wait a week. I'll be on vacation, but when I get back I'd be happy to record something.

PhilGood said:
Well, you know the overheads are V63s. The toms are sm57 clones from GLS audio, the snare is a Superlux ECO-H6A (a side address electret) The kick is a Superlux FK2 kick mic blended with a homebuilt 8" subkick (just barely added). I have an MXL 603s on the high hat. Everything is run through an old Ramsa mixer using the built in mic pres. There's no EQ on anything except I boost the 4khz on the kick mic and boosted 2khz and 6khz on the snare because I'm not using a bottom mic. I probably will later.

The drums are Tama. Cymbals are Paiste and Wuhan. The room is my guitarists garage that we sound proofed with layers of sound board and insulation. There's a false floor and a 4" riser for the drums to isolate vibration. The walls are carpeted so I added a touch of reverb to make it sound like a larger room. That was added to a room mic.

I have a Symetrix SX202 preamp that I use for vocals. I'm going to try that on either the overheads or the kick and snare. I've got a couple of Presonus tube pres that might work too.

complexprocess, I have a pair of ECM8000s that I might throw up and lay down some samples if you can wait a week. I'll be on vacation, but when I get back I'd be happy to record something.

wow, thats pretty awesome, they sound really good to my ears for such a "home" setup.

Scrubucket7 said:
wow, thats pretty awesome, they sound really good to my ears for such a "home" setup.

The most important thing is to have the drums well tuned. After that, recording is much easier.

PhilGood said:
The most important thing is to have the drums well tuned. After that, recording is much easier.

as true with anything you're recording... the source has to sound good before the recording can. too many people try to record crap, and then polish the turd in post production.
i do concur PG, very nice with such an inexpensive set up too!

PhilGood said:

That sounds pretty nice but the high end sounds a bit harsh to me. Is there any high-end EQ on this mix?

Whoopysnorp said:
That sounds pretty nice but the high end sounds a bit harsh to me. Is there any high-end EQ on this mix?

Most MXL mics are known to have a little harsh high-end. I really didn't notice any but my ears aren't as finely tuned as most. It sounded fine on my system. No EQ was added.

I should try the ECM8000s when I get back. I also have a couple more 603s and Oktava 319's. I removed the high-end booster discs from those and the highs were tamed severly. Those would probably be great.

Also, this isn't my thread so don't focus on my post. There's someone here who wants recommendations on budget overheads. Anyone, anyone? Beuler?

complexprocess is his name! Overheads are his game! :D

PhilGood said:

i swear you're the only person i've found that has mentioned those gls es57 mics. i'm probably gonna order the 3 pack in about a week. i take it you think they're a worthy competitor since 3 of them costs less than 1 sm57? also have you tried any of that companys cables?

treymonfauntre said:
i swear you're the only person i've found that has mentioned those gls es57 mics. i'm probably gonna order the 3 pack in about a week. i take it you think they're a worthy competitor since 3 of them costs less than 1 sm57? also have you tried any of that companys cables?

No, but I went down to Orange County to buy mine direct at their store front. That's all this company does. They sell cables, stands and re-cone speakers. They do alot of business with touring acts so they are reputable. While I was there a couple of club owners were hanging out talking about the mics I was buying. The rock and punk acts out here are very hard on the club's PA systems, especially the mics. These guys said its cheaper to replace a destroyed sm58 with 3 of these. They swore to me they sounded the same. I took the chance and haven't been disappointed yet. I bought 3 58s and 6 57s. Total cost was $240. My band has some SM58s and SM57s and we found they were very close but a little hotter signal.

Anyway, back to the original posts on overheads. Any other recommendations for complexprocess?

Back