How to do drum overhead mics

rgray107918

Hi all,
Total noob. I've had my drums recorded before, but I've never done it myself. I want to try it. I have drum mics, and a single overhead. I am looking at interfces, but have a question. I'm looking at the roundup of sub $500 8 preamp channel interfaces (Focusrite, Behringer, Tascam)

It seems most interfaces run phantom power in blocks, like 1-4 or 5-8. If overhead mics are condensors and need 48v, but drum mics are not powered, how do people power their condensers? Do I just need to buy two interfaces?

I will say I "think" I read the tascam has individual 48v on each channel, but I'm not sure about that.

Any suggestions or explanations would he really appreciated.

Phantom power doesn't affect or damage dynamic mics, hence "phantom". It's the opposite of a cop. It's there if you need it and it's not there if you don't. :D

Maybe there are very rare exceptions. But generally, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

I have a TASCAM US-1800, which has the blocks of phantom power. I just turn on the phantom and plug both kinds of mics in the different channels. Never had a problem in about 10 years of recording with interfaces.

Last edited:
I run all my drum mics through a a Behringer 32 channel mixer, with global phantom only. Some mics are phantom pencil mics, and others dynamic.
They're all happy.

The main manufacturers will produce all kinds of accessories for their mics. Windshields, clamps, plug in XLR pads for where mics or mixers don't have them. All at quite inflated prices, and this is an not a new thing - it's always been a funding stream for them. Not how they don't sell phantom power blockers? Simply because they're just not needed.

Have you ever found anybody who had one damaged? Everybody knows somebody, who knows somebody who had their best friends nextdoor neighbour kill a ribbon mic with phantom. Shouting one-two-one-two into one is far more dangerous.

Have you ever found anybody who had one damaged? Everybody knows somebody, who knows somebody who had their best friends nextdoor neighbour kill a ribbon mic with phantom. Shouting one-two-one-two into one is far more dangerous.
The care and feeding literature that came with my R10 states it's a poor substitute for a hammer and no phantom power.

Wow! Thank you for all the comments and help.

So if I understand, there's no risk running phantom power to any kind of mic?

The drum mics I have are the Peavy DMS set.
https://peavey.com/product/pvm-dms-5-drum-mic-system/

The overhead I have is a M-audio nova. There were two of these at one point, but one of them got broken. All of this equipment is my Dad's old equipment that hasn't been used in years.
https://m-audio.com/products/view/nova

The only other type of mic is an RE-20 that I can't seem to get to work.
https://products.electrovoice.com/na/en/re20/

So for all three types of mics, phantom won't hurt them?

Here's me doing it to one of my mics. In the BBC it was at one time very 'normal' to leave phantom power applied to all the XLR outlets, and of course phantom would be stuck up the rear end of lovely mics.

I use a 404 UMC Beringher interfaz. It has phantom power. I have beringher condenser mics x2 to do over heads/stereo takes. Never had a problem. Sound great.
For the other 2 channels one dynamic in the snare and one low end mic in the kick.
You kinda have to make sure they don't have any residual energy on them so they don't make too much noise. But i guess it's due to my power grid. I just touch the mic cap and the noise is gone.

Back