S/pdif

Dopps

Can anyone tell me what the connector is called that would go from my multi track to my S/PDIF input at the back of my PC. I know this sounds daft but I really am a novice.

Good news- the answer is simple- RCA male to RCA male- use a digital coaxial cable. Bad news- You can only connect a S/PDIF out to a S/PDIF in, so if your multitrack has S/PDIF out, you are good to go. You cannot connect an analog out to a digital in.-Richie

Not trying to be an ass here, but it is called a cable. I am curious, though, did your computer come with a s/pdif? They are not generally standard equipment. Also, the cable you use for connecting your multitrack to your computer depends on what type of s/pdif you have. Is it optical (sort of a rectangular hole with a light shining when the jack has a signal coming from it) or coaxial (actually RCA type)? Does your multitrack s/pdif match your computer's? Otherwise you will need to also get an adapter to match s/pdif connectors. Hope that answers your question more than raise more questions. And don't be offended if you already know all about s/pdif terminology, but you said you were a novice.

Peace, Jim

Thanks to both of you. Yeah my computer was custom built so it has a (fairly) decent soundcard. It's a sound blaster somethingorother (I did say fairly decent. I know it aint great!) It's not optical and my VF80 multitrack doesn't have optical either so This should be cool then yeah? I know you can buy convertors which are cheap enough but If I just ask at the shop for an S/PDIF male to male coaxial cable I should be sorted right?

Are you sure about having a coaxial s/pdif? I have a VF160 and my s/pdif is optical so I jumped on the Fostex site and checked the Vf80 and it shows it has optical i/o's also. I have RCA stereo outs on the back of the VF160 but that is not the same as s/pdif. I know that my s/pdif also doubles as an ADAT lightpipe as does my VM88 (digital mixer) which is one of the nice perks of these machines--you can send 8 channels in the digital domain to a sound card with the same s/pdif-ADAT light pipe i/o. But this is all digital optical, not coaxial. So do double check on this. Are you sure the Soundblaster has s/pdif or are we just talking analog i/o? Double check your card's specs to be sure you got what you asked for when you had your computer built.

Peace, Jim

Cheers I'll check that out. I mean it's not the little square bit with light shining out of it that looks like a telephone socket it's the I/O's that look like what you would plug a speaker into and it says S/PDIF above it. I will however check this all out.

Back