Rolloff settings on MD421

gumplunger

Looked at the little booklet that came with the mic and couldn't really figure out which setting did what. Is the one labelled 'S' the small rolloff and then the bass gets rolled-off progressively as you switch towards 'm' or is it the other way around?

It goes progressively from Music to Speech.

In other words, the rolloff increases towards "S."

Nice sounding microphone. Crappy sounding rolloff IMHO...

Sennheiser is a German manufacturer and German is a funny language.

M stands for Musik, which means music I guess. :D
S stands for Sprache, which means speach.

i think m is the least roll off and s is the most. i got my 421 on ebay, so it didn't come with a manual and i could be wrong.

what's with people driving up the price of 421's on ebay? i bought my first one for 200 bucks and i fully expect to pay that much or less on the next one. about 2 montsh ago they were only going for 200'ish. they only sell for 330 bucks new and you can get factory b stock direct from sennheiser for 270 bucks.......i see people buying them used for 250-300 bucks quite often lately.

everyone just needs to quite bidding on them and let me buy a few for 200 a piece and then they can start driving them back up.

donkeystyle said:
i think m is the least roll off and s is the most. i got my 421 on ebay, so it didn't come with a manual and i could be wrong.

what's with people driving up the price of 421's on ebay? i bought my first one for 200 bucks and i fully expect to pay that much or less on the next one. about 2 montsh ago they were only going for 200'ish. they only sell for 330 bucks new and you can get factory b stock direct from sennheiser for 270 bucks.......i see people buying them used for 250-300 bucks quite often lately.

everyone just needs to quite bidding on them and let me buy a few for 200 a piece and then they can start driving them back up.
Haha. Yeah I got mine on ebay for 250 a week or two ago. I figured that was how the rolloff was, I just wanted to make sure since I'm not german...or telepathic for that matter. :D

got mine for 100,- LOL it's an old black with gold grill. One question though; I need to go to 1/4 "jack... SO i just wired the the grounding signal to the second pin. (like you do with XLR top jack's). Is that ok? It's the old three pin DIN.

G

gumplunger said:
Is the one labelled 'S' the small rolloff and then the bass gets rolled-off progressively as you switch towards 'm' or is it the other way around?
Use your ears! :rolleyes:
Really, there is a huge difference between the M and S setting and you'll hear in an instant which has more bass than the other.

(Owner of two 421-U4's, paid 160 euros shipped for the couple)

well damn, i've been looking out for two 421's,
like 8 months ago they were cheap,
not you pay like TWICE the price on ebay

maybe the prices will drop, just look at the Aphex aural exciter,
8 months ago people were bidding up to 150 euro for a 104
now its only 50 euro for that thing

things change...people stay the same;..same;.same

Back