Roland jv 1080 and Sonar

cottey1

Brand newbie so go easy.

In the process of building a small home studio and currently have Roland pc300 USB midi controller and Roland JV-1080 dound module.
My laptop has Sonar 6 P.E.
I am in the process of building a new DAW with M-Audio 2496 card installed.

My question. When I edit the sound on patch mode on sound module can the effects be saved for performance mode.
Secondly can you record the output of the roland sound module in sonar as audio track with intention to combine with midi tracks. Thanks - Great site.

Not 100% sure what you are asking here....I think the first questions answer is yes, what ever you alter on the patch should change the same patch in performance mode if I remember correctly...on the second question you need a midi interface, like a midisport, to connect the midi from your JV into Sonar as an external instrument...that way you can record the midi into Sonar then bounce it down to audio when you are finished editing..

Problem with this is that once you close the project the JV wont remember what patch you used so either write it down or bounce it to audio before you close the project

An alternative is to use a programme like midiquest which will show up as a VST instrument in sonar then you control the JV through it and it will remember your settings...this is fiddly though and I find it a little unstable

You can just record the audio outputs of the JV but then there is none of the flexibilty of midi but is simple and quick

Thanks for that - I can currently record onto sonar as midi keyboard is usb - It is set up as midi out from keyboard to JV1080 - USB cable from keyboard to computer. How do you 'bounce it down to audio' in simple terms.
many thanks

god its been a while since I used sonar...I think you click on the midi (or audio) track then select bounce to new track in the inspector menu and then choose a new track and click OK...

Great tutorial thanks. However I think my mic input on my laptop is u/s , getting no input from sound module. I better build the DAW a bit sooner I think. Thanks anyway

Back